Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frank Mir celebrated this year’s Fourth of July in his Las Vegas gym, breaking down film of Brock Lesnar’s win over Shane Carwin at UFC 116 the night before.

Sitting alongside Mir on Sunday were head trainer Jimmy Gifford, UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and boxing trainer Freddie Roach.

“We believe Mir is going to be the guy to knock out Brock Lesnar,” Gifford said. “Me, GSP, Freddie Roach — we all agreed Mir can do it. We see holes in his game we know we can expose.”

“If you’re asking me who would Frank Mir want to fight right now, it’s Brock,” Gifford said. “He’d love to fight him. Realistically, that’s not going to happen so we want that Nog fight.

Lesnar and Mir

“Nog claims staph infection affected his chin in the last one. I don’t know how that happens, but I think if Mir gets a chance at Nogueira again, he’ll knock him out early and retire him.”

On Frank returning to his old weight of 245.

“Right now, he’s at 252 and his best fighting weight is between 240 and 245 pounds. He’s not going to stay at 265 to fight Brock again. Mir learned a lot over the last couple of fights, and I think the easiest thing to learn is you’re not going to move immovable objects. So we better find another way.” Gifford said.

Source: TheLasVegasSun

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
C'mon Frank... you aren't knocking him out. You hit him as hard as you could in the last fight and he mauled you. Mir's got some nice striking, but that gets thrown out the window when he's in traffic where he will get taken down and we will see the exact same fight again. That is IF he makes it back to the top contender position.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I can't see any of the top HWs knocking Brock out, possibly JDS.. but still, he seems unknockoutable (I know it's not a word!)

·
Banned
820 Posts
Lol, Mir really needs to re-think how he wants to go about doing this. ALso he needs to get past Nog, and atleast one other person before he gets Lesnar again.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I'm not sure losing the added muscle/weight is a good idea. I think Mir could be a solid, heavy, yet quick fighter were he just to continue on the path he set before himself. He really needs to focus on how he wants to go about this and stick with it. Heavier for power? Lighter for speed? Pick one and roll with it, Frank.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Some of you guys need to read that more careful. Mir didn't say anything. This is what other people are saying about Mir. Thats important to pay attention to

anyways, I feel that Mir has the tools to beat Brock but he needs better strategy, a clear head, and more wrestling defense. Standing up, Mir can KO Brock and will if he is able to trade cleanly. The problem is how to counter Brock's wrestling. Plus Mir really needs to remember his BJJ skills. He submitted him once, he can do it again.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Some of you guys need to read that more careful. Mir didn't say anything. This is what other people are saying about Mir. Thats important to pay attention to

anyways, I feel that Mir has the tools to beat Brock but he needs better strategy, a clear head, and more wrestling defense. Standing up, Mir can KO Brock and will if he is able to trade cleanly. The problem is how to counter Brock's wrestling. Plus Mir really needs to remember his BJJ skills. He submitted him once, he can do it again.
I did realize that Mir didn't say anything which is why I just posted :laugh: instead of saying something about Mir.

But to your idea that Mir can KO Lesnar I present you with your own :laugh:. Can Mir hurt Lesnar standing? Possibly, at HW I think anyone can stun/rock anyone just due to the weight in the punches. But KO? :laugh:

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
My heart is broken. Why does GSP have to get involved with this lunatic, he is obviously mentally unstable.
? Quite clearly he isnt a lunatic and certainly isnt mentally unstable.

Unless frank develops some good TDD and works hard on wrestling, he will get beat up by Brock again and again and again.....

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I did realize that Mir didn't say anything which is why I just posted :laugh: instead of saying something about Mir.

But to your idea that Mir can KO Lesnar I present you with your own :laugh:. Can Mir hurt Lesnar standing? Possibly, at HW I think anyone can stun/rock anyone just due to the weight in the punches. But KO? :laugh:
Mir probably has more of a chance of doing what he did to Kongo, rocking them submitting, but Mir hits pretty hard and Brock's striking is terrible. If Mir has enough of a chance to land cleanly he can drop Brock. The problem is that its hard to let your hands go when you're worried that Brock can easily sling you down. Carwin barely landed on Brock and that led to an entire round of bald man engineering ****.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
I understood the context of the article completely. This is just a miniscule hype article to keep Frank's name out there.

I was just always under the impression that he was extremely overrated and couldn't handle top level fighters like everyone thought he could.

I would love to watch him fight Kongo, Rothwell etc, but not Brock. Not for a few years unless he really does somethign to show he deserves it first. Can you imagine the backlash if Brock was KO'd by Carwin and then his team said he could KO Carwin AFTER he had his chance? (Let alone Mir had two chances, hit him with everything he had, and it had no significant effect)

Needless hype! Be more creative.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I understood the context of the article completely. This is just a miniscule hype article to keep Frank's name out there.

I was just always under the impression that he was extremely overrated and couldn't handle top level fighters like everyone thought he could.

I would love to watch him fight Kongo, Rothwell etc, but not Brock. Not for a few years unless he really does somethign to show he deserves it first. So, this article is going to rub some people the wrong way.
I think the only top level fighters that hes going to struggle against are Carwin and Lesnar. Maybe JDS. I see Mir being able to rip through all the mid level guys like Kongo, Rothwell, Nelson, GG, etc. I think he'd be Cain pretty well too. Its just those two that are going to be the thorns in his side for awhile.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts