Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
i think an instant rematch is a slap in the champion's face. that's like saying "you won, but nope we don't believe u. so do it again"

sure, edgar would prove it again, but if i was him i still wouldn't want to risk it. i want to fight other contenders too before i have to face bj penn again...

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
sure, edgar would prove it again, but if i was him i still wouldn't want to risk it. i want to fight other contenders too before i have to face bj penn again...
So basicly what youre saying is that Frankie should duck BJ because BJ is the biggest threat out there. Now that doesn't sound like much of a champion to me.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
i think an instant rematch is a slap in the champion's face. that's like saying "you won, but nope we don't believe u. so do it again"

But if you were confident of being better than BJ you would want to beat him again and solidify your position. Edgar could go beat Maynard, Florian and Sanchez and some people would still consider him to only be a paper champion.

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
I can't stand BJ Penn and i always want to see him get beat whenever he fights...BUT... In my opinion BJ Penn did not look himself in the fight against edgar for whatever reason.

I don't neceserally think he should get an immediate re-match, however if he does i wouldn't complain. After all, he has dominated the division for a long time.

If he doesnt get the instant rematch i'd like to see him fight Maynard and the winner of that get a shot at Edgar?

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
This isn't that surprising! The UFC always made a habit of giving BJ Penn instant title shots whether it be in lightweight or Welterweight.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed though. I wanted to see Frankie Edgar go up against Kenny Florian and BJ Penn go up against Grey Maynard.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But if you were confident of being better than BJ you would want to beat him again and solidify your position. Edgar could go beat Maynard, Florian and Sanchez and some people would still consider him to only be a paper champion.
Agreed. Frankie strikes me as someone who's going to be game to fight anyone at any time. If the UFC wants him to fight BJ, then he'll fight BJ.

Personally I think BJ's going to come in with a whole different gameplan. He needs to clinch with him, push him against the cage, work some dirty boxing, and take him down. Basically bully Edgar instead of standing in front of him the whole fight. All the respect to Frankie, but I see BJ getting his belt back in the rematch. How do you guys see the rematch playing out? You think Frankie will be able to use the same gameplan with equal effectiveness?

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
This isn't that surprising! The UFC always made a habit of giving BJ Penn instant title shots whether it be in lightweight or Welterweight.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed though. I wanted to see Frankie Edgar go up against Kenny Florian and BJ Penn go up against Grey Maynard.
Same here:thumbsup:
Let BJ fight a strong wrestler. Last i remember he had problems with a wrestler :sarcastic12:...
Edgar - Florian sounds very very good to me too.
Put these fights on the same card. Winner of BJ-Maynard gets winner of Edgar-Florian. There you go.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm a huge BJ fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing Florian fight Edgar then BJ getting the winner of that. If BJ wants to stay active they could give him Gray Maynard.
Yeah I agree they should mix it up a little, the fight could've went either way, it wasn't a huge outrage that edgar won. Like the Machida/Shogun fight now that was a huge outrage over terrible judging so a rematch should be expected right away.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
BJ well deserves a instant Rematch, just as much as Shogun does IMO. Alot of people including me thought that BJ won the fight, infact the poll i did on here the other day, more than 50% of the voters thought that Edgar didnt win.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I assume one of the major factor in the UFC's decision for an automatic rematch is the fact that Florian has a pretty bad staff infection in his knee that requires surgery, so he's going to be out for awhile. Once the staff clears he's still going to need atleast 8-12 weeks to get in a good training camp.

They most likely don't want the belt held up for 5-6 months when the champ is prefectly fine to fight. Edgar vs Maynard is a possibility, but isn't exactly a big money fight.

Pics of Kenny's Staff:

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/12/1417603/kenny-florian-hospitalized-with

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Probably one of many reasons why you aren't a UFC champion.
Way to add to the thread :sarcastic12: I suppose you're a UFC champion? Oh right...

Anyway. Where does it stipulate that any time someone beats a champion they have to beat them a second time in an instant rematch otherwise, even if they clean out the division, they're just a "paper champ".

Go back to training smart guy, one day you'll be a UFC champion! lol :thumb02:

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
Man, I hate these kinds of rematches. It's always unfair to the fighter who won.

But hey, BJ tends to get what he wants, whether it's fair or not.
its the same thing with Matt serra, he beat Gsp (heck and in his fight there was no doubt who won the fight) and who is his next opponent after beating Gsp but...you guessed it Gsp

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.