Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
LHW Champ
Joined
·
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Grapevine is MMA Universe's hotline to the hottest rumours doing the rounds on the internet. As always with "The Grapevine" you should take this with a pinch of salt until it is confirmed by an official source.

"I talked to a rock solid a source in Iowa and they are telling me that Rich Franklin desperately tried to pull out of his UFC middleweight title fight with Anderson Silva.

He was terribly sick, vomiting non-stop, shitting water, and very dehydrated. People around him said it looked like he was dying, they were afraid he wouldn't even be able to make the walk to the cage without passing out, or throwing up. But Dana White supposedly put the pressure on him, and supposedly made it known that Rich would have a VERY hard time making payments on the new house and couple hundred acres he just bought, if he ruined his main event.

Zuffa has a nice little set up going for themselves there. They have the guys signed to low guarantees, and basically, they only make real money if they sign their lives over to Zuffa. (Such as Matt Hughes, who is basically bought and paid for, and an indentured servant to Zuffa for the rest of his life, after a recent situation they supposedly bailed him out of.) They control all the sponsorship deals, the Xyience contracts, and who gets the PPV back-end points.

Dana could have had the Xyience deal taken away, and started putting Rich in the 1st fight of the night, where he would only make the USD$21,000 downside.

Sometime in the future, most people in the business feel this is going to blow up on them in a big way."

The Grapevine: Franklin Extremely Unwell at UFC 64 - MMAUniverse.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Sounds like something a desperate franklin fan came up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Need some hard evidence, but if he is so controlled by Zuffa then maybe he is paid to keep his mouth shut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
I believe this. He did look sick. I wonder if Rich is going to wanna stay with the UFC after this. I would have hard feelings towards it if I were him. Now I definatly wanna see him fight Silva in a rematch ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Evil said:
The Grapevine is MMA Universe's hotline to the hottest rumours doing the rounds on the internet. As always with "The Grapevine" you should take this with a pinch of salt until it is confirmed by an official source.

"I talked to a rock solid a source in Iowa and they are telling me that Rich Franklin desperately tried to pull out of his UFC middleweight title fight with Anderson Silva.

He was terribly sick, vomiting non-stop, shitting water, and very dehydrated. People around him said it looked like he was dying, they were afraid he wouldn't even be able to make the walk to the cage without passing out, or throwing up. But Dana White supposedly put the pressure on him, and supposedly made it known that Rich would have a VERY hard time making payments on the new house and couple hundred acres he just bought, if he ruined his main event.

Zuffa has a nice little set up going for themselves there. They have the guys signed to low guarantees, and basically, they only make real money if they sign their lives over to Zuffa. (Such as Matt Hughes, who is basically bought and paid for, and an indentured servant to Zuffa for the rest of his life, after a recent situation they supposedly bailed him out of.) They control all the sponsorship deals, the Xyience contracts, and who gets the PPV back-end points.

Dana could have had the Xyience deal taken away, and started putting Rich in the 1st fight of the night, where he would only make the USD$21,000 downside.

Sometime in the future, most people in the business feel this is going to blow up on them in a big way."

The Grapevine: Franklin Extremely Unwell at UFC 64 - MMAUniverse.com
I think this shouldn't carry any weight until it is confirmed. Who is this source in IOWA? C'mon? Too sick to even walk to the Octagon ... that's getting blown way out of proportion. Rich's payday wasn't even that huge, I don't think he's investing in acres of farm property in Cincinnati. I agree Rich didn't look like himself on that day, but I think he was just concerned about facing a very proven talent
 

·
MMA Patriot
Joined
·
4,003 Posts
I think he wasn't felling infact some of my friends thought the same but I think your exagerating it a little. I am a richfranklin fan but I dont think that he was so bad that he could not walk to the ring. I have seen this before but can never be sure. any proof tell me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
"a rock solid a source in Iowa"

Sounds dependable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Evil said:
Zuffa has a nice little set up going for themselves there. They have the guys signed to low guarantees, and basically, they only make real money if they sign their lives over to Zuffa. (Such as Matt Hughes, who is basically bought and paid for, and an indentured servant to Zuffa for the rest of his life, after a recent situation they supposedly bailed him out of.)
Hmmm..i'm curious as to what this recent situation was that Zuffa bailed Hughes out of...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
It seems to me that Rich isn't the kind of guy to make excuses after a fight, and I respect him for it. With that said it's pretty tough to figure out whether he was sick - some people are going to say yeah, others no - but who really knows foresure?

Franklkin vs. Silva 2 will likely be our only answer.

This rumour has a little bit of Dana hate and a little bit of Franklin ****riding; don't put much stock in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Still should have been able to defend himself better then he was. I dont think it would have been that much differnt if he faced him at "100 %" He thought the clinch was going to be his sweet spot. Clearly Silva was too much for him to handle in that position.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Yeah, I like how the article call's Matt Hughes an indentured servant. You know, like slaves that were brought over to this country and had to work until they were free men. Yeah that's alot like Matt Hughes situation. Poor bastard, any of you guys wanna help set up a fundraiser to see if we can pay Matt's contract off so he can go out in the world and achieve his dreams? Everytime I see him in the Octagon I begin to cry because I know he is in there fighting when he would rather be working at Best Buy or serving pancakes at IHOP. We shall overcome, indeed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Halebop said:
Yeah, I like how the article call's Matt Hughes an indentured servant. You know, like slaves that were brought over to this country and had to work until they were free men. Yeah that's alot like Matt Hughes situation. Poor bastard, any of you guys wanna help set up a fundraiser to see if we can pay Matt's contract off so he can go out in the world and achieve his dreams? Everytime I see him in the Octagon I begin to cry because I know he is in there fighting when he would rather be working at Best Buy or serving pancakes at IHOP. We shall overcome, indeed.
HAHAHA...how true
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
723 Posts
speedythief said:
I don't think anyone can argue that Franklin looked like himself in that fight, but it doesn't mean he would've fared any better.

Ever notice how guys always seem to get the flu, though? Sylvia, Franklin... I get the flu maybe once every two or three years and I'm out of shape. What are these guys getting exposed to?

Fighting, training hardcore every day, injuries, dieting, ect. all put a serious strain on your immune system and makes much more succeptable to illness than most people.


Pogo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
speedythief said:
I don't think anyone can argue that Franklin looked like himself in that fight, but it doesn't mean he would've fared any better.

Ever notice how guys always seem to get the flu, though? Sylvia, Franklin... I get the flu maybe once every two or three years and I'm out of shape. What are these guys getting exposed to?
Good point. In fact the training these guys do actually makes them somewhat more susceptible to disease as they run their bodies ragged at peak training. I would not be surprised if Franklin had the flu, it makes sense seeing as how this was the biggest fight of his UFC career and all, things always seem to come against you at your steepest hill...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
He probably want's let his nose heal completely first
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
I'll admit I was pretty hard on Rich he got his ass handed to him. But after watching it again and thinking about it I do think he was sick. This just makes me think it even more. i wont put too much stock into it until this proves to be valuable source. I just cant get over his twitching abdomen and he just didnt look right.
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Top