Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We all know how that turned out for Arlovski.
My point was more that GSP is sharpening up his striking, not that its with Roach in particular. GSP has always stated he wants to fight where his opponent is most uncomfortable. With Koscheck, thats standing. I'm ( naively ) hoping GSP will show us a bit of his striking in this fight.​

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Yeah, I was joking there anyway. I don't necessarily think he should fight Kos on the feet though. Kos is no pushover when it comes to striking and he has knockout power. One punch can make the difference and GSP isn't exactly known for finishing fights on the feet either. It might be safer for him to plant Kos on his back and not let him get up and I'm sure it will be his primary goal to do so. It's just a guess but I think GSP thinks he might not be able to take Kos down continuously like he did with Hardy and Alves, so he's also trying to improve his standup.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was joking there anyway. I don't necessarily think he should fight Kos on the feet though. Kos is no pushover when it comes to striking and he has knockout power. One punch can make the difference and GSP isn't exactly known for finishing fights on the feet either. It might be safer for him to plant Kos on his back and not let him get up and I'm sure it will be his primary goal to do so. It's just a guess but I think GSP thinks he might not be able to take Kos down continuously like he did with Hardy and Alves, so he's also trying to improve his standup.

I do agree with you. Its just I have a little beef with GSP. So do a few of his fans. His reluctance to showcase his striking is both infuriating and understandable, in my opinion. I want to complain but know I cant... because he wins.​

However, GSP has always been quoted saying he will always fight to his opponents weaknesses. When you consider the difference between GSPs and Kos regards wrestling and striking?... GSPs striking is light years away from Kos. Far more so than relative comparisons between the grappling world. He has also talked of his desire to be loved and a true martial artist.​

Yes. The safe bet is to put Kos on his back and beat him up there. However, If he does this, it will be the last straw for me. I will lose interest in his future fights. I want him to do what he clearly wants to do. Shake off that little bit of Serra shaped fear he still has lingering, and let it all hang out. He has the tools to completely crush Kos in 1 minute.​

Take a risk George! If you come out and fight dangerously and beautifully and lose... we will love you more!!! Does you not get this by now?​

O god... far to much text... sorry.​

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Yeah, I don't really like watching GSP right now. Every time I find myself rooting for his opponent and that's what makes his fights interesting for me. He's obviously one of the best fighters on earth, but he's definitely not a fighter that's fun to watch right now. I just hope Kos gives GSP a reason to show off. He'll have lots of time to do so on TUF.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I personally have no issue with GSP using his world class wrestling to dominate guys. I find the way he dominates top level guys like Alves, Fitch, Penn and Hughes is just ridiculous. His guard-passing is exceptional, he has incredible top control and brilliant takedowns. I personally found the clinic he put on Dan Hardy very entertaining. I would like to see him use his striking a little more, but I have no problem with him utilising his wrestling.

Reactions: Spec0688

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Hopefully we'll actually see GSP stand with an opponent now. Freddie Roach is a hero, hopefully he helps GSP's striking and we see a little more diversity in his game.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So Roach is that new standup coach GSP has been hinting about. Standup is definitely the right element of his game to improve at this point. We all know already that he'll beat anyone in his division if he takes it to the ground, so him fighting guys standing up is definitely going to be more interesting to watch if he does it.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
That's Arlovski's fault though, not Freddie Roach's. Arlovski's boxing looked exeptional against Fedor, but then he decided to throw an idiotic flying knee and expose his glass chin to Fedor's heavy right. Freddie Roach is a briliant boxing coach that has worked with the likes of Pacquiao, De La Hoya, Klitchsko, Toney, Tyson and others. He works with the best, but he can't work miracles, he can't fix a guys chin, or make him work harder. That's up to the fighter. Arlovski's poor performance against Silva was his fault, not Freddie Roach's, and GSP working with him will only be good for his boxing.

I'm not sure he really needs it that much though. He already trains with Firas Zahabi and Jerome Le Banner, as well as with the guys down at Greg Jackson's camp, so I don't think he necessarily needs to train with Roach too much. It definitely will help his boxing, there's no doubt about that, and I see him showing off his stand-up against Koscheck.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I do agree with you. Its just I have a little beef with GSP. So do a few of his fans. His reluctance to showcase his striking is both infuriating and understandable, in my opinion. I want to complain but know I cant... because he wins.​

However, GSP has always been quoted saying he will always fight to his opponents weaknesses. When you consider the difference between GSPs and Kos regards wrestling and striking?... GSPs striking is light years away from Kos. Far more so than relative comparisons between the grappling world. He has also talked of his desire to be loved and a true martial artist.​

Yes. The safe bet is to put Kos on his back and beat him up there. However, If he does this, it will be the last straw for me. I will lose interest in his future fights. I want him to do what he clearly wants to do. Shake off that little bit of Serra shaped fear he still has lingering, and let it all hang out. He has the tools to completely crush Kos in 1 minute.​

Take a risk George! If you come out and fight dangerously and beautifully and lose... we will love you more!!! Does you not get this by now?​

O god... far to much text... sorry.​
It doesn't matter about Kos' wrestling, GSP can take anyone down. The weakness is BJJ and fighting off his back, not wrestling per se. If GSP fought Demian Maia he'd strike, if he fights Kos he may as well fight to his own strength and to Kos' weakness and put him on his back, because Kos isn't much good there.

If GSP can start finishing guys on the ground then nobody can moan, because the same acceptance of strikers has to be shown for ground fighters. Ground fighters are at an immediate disadvantage because grappling isn't as exciting as striking, so they have to finish fights to please the fans.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Well this is kind of a double edged sword.

A lot of fans are whining about GSP taking guys down, controlling them, and totally dominating the fight. I don't mind because he's doing what he's best at and completely shutting down some really good fighters. After every fight, Georges seems to try and add a new element to his game which is scary seeing as how easy he makes his fights look.

Now, Freddie Roach is a good BOXING trainer but boxing is boxing and MMA is MMA. Sure you can be a great boxer with good footwork but that does not apply to MMA when you need to defend leg kicks, takedowns (I know) and submissions (I know). Hopefully Georges does his stint with Freddie but takes it with a grain of salt.

GSP knows himself better than anyone else out there. He knows when punches hurt him, or bother him. Theres a reason why he's been taking these guys down and not trading blows with them. If he does have a suspect chin, why mess with that and lose another fight that he should have won?

So there's the two negative scenarios to the fans. First is that he wrestles every guy out there, dominates them and loses fans because they don't appreciate that aspect of MMA. Second is that he decides he's going to be exciting and stands up with guys he probably shouldn't and gets knocked out.

Now for the positive, coming from a GSP fan, I hope it happens. I hope that GSP does have a great chin, can bang with top level strikers and becomes a much better boxer. This way, we get to see GSP outstrike these guys, maybe get a KO and if worse comes to worse if he gets rocked, he'll take the guy down and do some nice GnP.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I hope not I honestly think Kos would knock out GSP in a stand up fight, 5 rounds is a long time to not get caught.
I'm not sure why people keep saying this, since it is demonstrably false.

This is exactly what Dan Hardy said, almost word for word, and we saw how that worked for him. It's what Daley said about Kos, what Alves said about GSP, etc, etc.

It's something guys who know they can only win the fight with a lucky punch say, basically, 'I know I'm going to lose unless I can land the hail mary shot.'

Kos might have more power than GSP, but if GSP decides to strike with him, it's because he knows he has even more of an advantage striking than he does wrestling, and he will pick Kos apart, easily. I don't think think he will choose to fight standing all that much, he has no reason too, he dominated Kos on the ground before, and he will again. I think he just wants to be prepared for the possibility that Kos wrestling and TDD has improved and the fight stays standing more than GSP expects. GSP is just a smart fighter, he always wants to improve.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
GSP is a freak on the ground so this is only good news for the Champ, and i think GSP would beat Kos ANYWHERE the fight goes....

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
[email protected] everyone thinking GSP can't stand or shouldn't stand with Koscheck. GSP had no problem picking apart Alves (and we all saw what Alves did to Kos). On the other hand Kos got knocked out by Paulo.

And GSP has a ton of power. He's knocked out plenty of opponents on the feet in the past and his striking is the most technical at 170. He has vicious low and high kicks, can initiate foot sweeps, has a monster reach, pinpoint accuracy, and lands nearly 100% of all unorthodox strikes.

Honestly I think his wrestling game plans have a lot to do with his sponsors too. At the end of the fight wearing his UA and gatorade gear, he doesn't have a mark on him. His opponents are all bloodied up. His face is preserved for commercials and ads.

edit: and about "5 rounds being too long not to get caught." That's more applicable towards Kos. GSP has 3-4" reach on Kos and just as much power. Plus look at Shields vs Hendo. You don't have KO power the last 3 or more rounds usually.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...That's fantastic. GSP's striking would only get even more crisp and dangerous. This could bring GSP to an even higher level. Georges is like a sponge and won't settle for anything less than perfection. Kos like everyone else, states he's gonna KO St. Pierre. Everyone wants to KO GSP and they all fall very short. Dan Hardy is a way better striker than Josh and he didn't even touch Georges when they fought. I personally think that Josh is a good fighter but he's not on St. Pierre's level. Every great striker, wrestler, & Jiu Jitsu fighters have all fallen to GSP. Besides, St. Pierre already has a win over Kos and that usually comes into play. Roach can only make GSP better because St. Pierre is so disciplined and focused, his striking will go off the charts...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.