Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of surprising endings at UFC 114, thought I'd weigh in on what I'd like to see ideally from the UFC matchmakers.

I'll go in order-ish of events:

Cyrille Diabate vs Keith Jardine:

Diabate looked great against Cane and is ready for a decent step up. Jardine is on the decline but it'd still be Diabate's biggest win. It could also be a good fight for Jardine, seeing as how he's probably close to getting canned and needs the win.

Guillard vs Sean Sherk:

normally I like to match up guys coming off wins or losses but this is a good exception. Guillard's wrestling and muay thai has improved tremendously the past couple of years, and Sherk has been on a slight decline. This match would answer a lot of questions about their rankings, Guillard's wrestling, and Sherk's boxing.

Dong Hyun Kim vs Chris Lytle:

This was supposed to happen and is a great fight. If Kim gets past Lytle convincingly then he's in the mix. After that, maybe a fight with Diego Sanchez if he wins.

John Hathaway vs Paulo Thiago:

This is a double-edged matchup. I think Paulo is far ahead of Hathaway in striking and obviously submissions, but Hathaway's wrestling could make this look like the Fitch fight. It'd be a great win for either fighter.

Mike Russow vs Matt Mittrione:

Not much to say about this matchup. Both coming off entertaining wins and both like to stand and trade, and I'd say they're on the same level.

Bisping vs Belcher:

This is the most natural matchup listed in my opinion. Good test for both fighters, and could put them in the mix (deservedly or not) for a title shot.

(Rashad is fighting Shogun for the belt)

Rampage vs Lil Nog:

Both coming off very unimpressive fights, they need to make a statement to stay at the top. Plus this is a great Pride grudgematch.

What do you think of these match-ups? I didn't do all of them because I'm not as knowledgeable of other fighters careers. I know Lauzon is a good fan favorite if anybody wants to tell us a good fight for him next.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Lots of surprising endings at UFC 114, thought I'd weigh in on what I'd like to see ideally from the UFC matchmakers.

I'll go in order-ish of events:

Cyrille Diabate vs Keith Jardine:

Diabate looked great against Cane and is ready for a decent step up. Jardine is on the decline but it'd still be Diabate's biggest win. It could also be a good fight for Jardine, seeing as how he's probably close to getting canned and needs the win.

Guillard vs Sean Sherk:

normally I like to match up guys coming off wins or losses but this is a good exception. Guillard's wrestling and muay thai has improved tremendously the past couple of years, and Sherk has been on a slight decline. This match would answer a lot of questions about their rankings, Guillard's wrestling, and Sherk's boxing.

Dong Hyun Kim vs Chris Lytle:

This was supposed to happen and is a great fight. If Kim gets past Lytle convincingly then he's in the mix. After that, maybe a fight with Diego Sanchez if he wins.

John Hathaway vs Paulo Thiago:

This is a double-edged matchup. I think Paulo is far ahead of Hathaway in striking and obviously submissions, but Hathaway's wrestling could make this look like the Fitch fight. It'd be a great win for either fighter.

Mike Russow vs Matt Mittrione:

Not much to say about this matchup. Both coming off entertaining wins and both like to stand and trade, and I'd say they're on the same level.

Bisping vs Belcher:

This is the most natural matchup listed in my opinion. Good test for both fighters, and could put them in the mix (deservedly or not) for a title shot.

(Rashad is fighting Shogun for the belt)

Rampage vs Lil Nog:

Both coming off very unimpressive fights, they need to make a statement to stay at the top. Plus this is a great Pride grudgematch.

What do you think of these match-ups? I didn't do all of them because I'm not as knowledgeable of other fighters careers. I know Lauzon is a good fan favorite if anybody wants to tell us a good fight for him next.
Most of the matchups I like. Here's some changes.

Cyrile will probably hurt Jardine very badly. Cyrile is underrated because nobody has heard of em. He has very high level striking with pin point accuracy and his ground game has vastly improved. I mean he swept Cane and reversed em. I was like when's the last time you saw a K-1 level fighter do that...lolz. Very good win.

Dong Kim should face a stronger opponent in Mike Swick or maybe even Renzo Gracie for a grappling match of sorts. It would be good for Renzo to get back into the mix. Hard to market a foreigner unless you have a nickname like "the Korean Zombie."

Hathaway and Thiago would be a huge step up for John, but I like it.

I thought I was the only one who wanted to see Bisping vs Belcher. Can you imagine the shenanigans pre-fight. Sadly Belcher would take it cuz he's too savvy of a fighter and has a rock hard chin.

Looks like Belcher is fighting Maia though which leaves loser of Wand/Akiyama preferrably the latter to face Bisping, Nate Marquardt, Nate Quarry, or Alessio Sakara cuz both have similar fighting styles and glass chins...lolz!

Not sure if Rampage fought against Lil Nog before in Pride. This is the second match up I was thinking of however it looks to be Machida vs Rampage.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I see Bisping vs Marqaurdt in the future.

Dong is going to be thrown into heavier competition. Probably Swick.

Definitely agree on Hathaway vs Thiago.

I'd see Jardine wrecking Cyrile. That dude has piss poor movement, is stiff as a board, and slow.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Diabate vs Jardine is decent

Don't think Guillard is ready for Sherk, Stout or Stephens would be my pick.

Would do the Kim vs Sanchez fight right away.

Not sure what to do with Hathaway, maybe Hardy. Paulo Thiago doesn't make sense if he wins his next fight.

Could care less about Russow.

I would rather see the Bisping Silva rematch.

Rampage vs Little Nog makes sense but I feel sorry for Nog.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Luis Cane was a top ten fighter before his loss to Diabate, while Jardine is barely on the roster. Forrest Griffin would make a better pick for Diabate.

Guillard wants Jeremy Stephens, I'm okay with that.

Dong Hyun Kim time for a promotion, I would say Paulo Thiago or Thiago Alves see how he does against a headliner. If not the other direction would be John Hathaway.

Bisping vs Akiyama (if he beats Wandy), I think it's time for Bisping to get a title shot. He's been paid like a champion for the last few years it's time to see him at that level. If Chael beats Anderson and Vitor I would love to see them coach TUF against each other.

Mike Russow vs Gabriel Gonzaga, back hair vs bitch tits which I can say because it's the internet and they won't find me. Russow has the chin and Gonzaga has the power.

Little Nog vs Jones, if Jones is a top five LHW fighter(we think he is) he needs to beat one while little Nog is going to fall

Rampage vs winner of Franklin/Liddell I'd like to see either fight, should be an easy win for Jackson.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Diabate vs Jardine is decent

Don't think Guillard is ready for Sherk, Stout or Stephens would be my pick.

Would do the Kim vs Sanchez fight right away.

Not sure what to do with Hathaway, maybe Hardy. Paulo Thiago doesn't make sense if he wins his next fight.

Could care less about Russow.

I would rather see the Bisping Silva rematch.

Rampage vs Little Nog makes sense but I feel sorry for Nog.
Actually Kim vs Sanchez would be interesting or Swick cuz they're both rangy. Kim will probably outpoint Sanchez. Sanchez had an extremely difficult time overcoming Hathaway's reach advantage. He fights so upright and always leads in with the 1 2 combination then take down attempt. He needs to add something new to his repertoire.

"Could care less about Russow." Lolz...lolz!!!

Cyrile will KO Jardine. His monkey style fighting is no match for his pinpoint accuracy. He'll just bust combos left and right before Jardine can even land anything or get close. He took Cane's best shot, reversed em and landed major combos at will to a very solid striker who is much better than Jardine. It'll be a good win for him, but I'd like to see BRANDON VERA (kickboxer vs ELITE kickboxer in Cyrile) Stephan Bonnar, Jon Jones, or Phil Davis.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
It's important to stick a strong caliber striker in the main cards with a decent pedigree for the masses and even for the purists. Who doesn't want to see elite striking and a decisive KO finish. I was thoroughly impressed with how he handled himself against Cane. I mean there really is no warm ups that was trial by fire. If Cyrile had elite grappling that would really mix things up. The ground is obviously his weakness especially if he went against Jon Jones, Rashad, Bader even or someone who just grinds it out. But yah Vera would interesting. I think Cyrile will outclass em. Vera's kickboxing is good, but it's nowhere near Cyrile. It's interesting cuz one could never tell that he has any power whatsoever based on his physique.

Cyrile highlights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXuZjOpjM4A

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like all the response's suggestions except I have one issue: Mike Swick is NOT a step-up from Chris Lytle. Lytle is probably the most dangerous underdog at 170lbs, he's got explosive striking (was hurting Thiago Alves FFS), and insanely effective submissions (rolling instant knee-bar for example, jeesh). Swick has zero power at 170lb and no groundgame to speak of, Lytle vs Swick would likely be a lot like Paulo vs Swick, except maybe it would go to the 3rd.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
How the hell is it that Bisping can win against a fighter he should beat after losing 2 of his last 3 and people act like he deserves anybody even remotely near the top of the division? If I were Belcher and they offered me Bisping I would lose my shit. Bisping is not a contender hell he just won a fight which rightfully should have been a loser leaves town fight.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
How the hell is it that Bisping can win against a fighter he should beat after losing 2 of his last 3 and people act like he deserves anybody even remotely near the top of the division? If I were Belcher and they offered me Bisping I would lose my shit. Bisping is not a contender hell he just won a fight which rightfully should have been a loser leaves town fight.
Yea, I don't get it. Bisping wins and it is like he is good. The guy is an average UFC fighter. Belcher has been winning. Bisping doesn't even look that great when he wins. Dan Miller, in all seriousness was Bisping's biggest win in his career...that is pretty sad..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bisping vs Akiyama (if he beats Wandy), I think it's time for Bisping to get a title shot. He's been paid like a champion for the last few years it's time to see him at that level. If Chael beats Anderson and Vitor I would love to see them coach TUF against each other.
This doesn't make much sense. If Akiyama beats Wandy and Bisping beats Akiyama why should Bisping get a shot at the title if he lost to Wandy?

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Oh come on he isn't that bad of a fighter.

He has only lost to Evans(top 5 LHW), Henderson(good MW) and W. Silva(tough challenge for anyone) and 2 of those fights were very close.

Who exactly has Belcher fought who is so great? I know he beat your boy Cote but he has lost to the top fighters he has ever fought(Akiyama, Okami) and also has loses to Grove and Day. Kang, Gouveia and Cote are decent but not enough to throw him heads and tales above Bisping.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
This doesn't make much sense. If Akiyama beats Wandy and Bisping beats Akiyama why should Bisping get a shot at the title if he lost to Wandy?
Why Bisping should get a title shot

-he's what the second highest paid Middleweight in the division right now

-he's been one win away from getting his shot 3 different times

-It would be fun to watch him lose to either Silva or Chael

-People will pay for it

-If he wins it sets up Silva/Bisping II for the title, same logic they used with Lesnar/Mir

-It would shut him up, which next to watching Frank Mir get punched in the head is the second best thing of the UFC.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Oh come on he isn't that bad of a fighter.

He has only lost to Evans(top 5 LHW), Henderson(good MW) and W. Silva(tough challenge for anyone) and 2 of those fights were very close.

Who exactly has Belcher fought who is so great? I know he beat your boy Cote but he has lost to the top fighters he has ever fought(Akiyama, Okami) and also has loses to Grove and Day. Kang, Gouveia and Cote are decent but not enough to throw him heads and tales above Bisping.
Cote is a better fighter than anybody Bisping has ever beaten. In your own words a win over Kang is decent and Bispings win over Kang is by far the biggest of his career. A close fight with Akiyama a win over Kang then Cote is far above everything Bisping has done in his career combined.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Its tough to know where Bisping stands. I have never liked how the UFC have made his fights, they go from giving him guys in the 15-20 rankings, all of whom he beats to giving him top 3-4 guys, why not give him the 5-10 guys?
I think Bisping should fight the winner of Okami/Munoz. Makes sense to me.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Its tough to know where Bisping stands. I have never liked how the UFC have made his fights, they go from giving him guys in the 15-20 rankings, all of whom he beats to giving him top 3-4 guys, why not give him the 5-10 guys?
I think Bisping should fight the winner of Okami/Munoz. Makes sense to me.
I think if Okami wins that would be about right, Munoz would be above him I think.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Yea, I don't get it. Bisping wins and it is like he is good. The guy is an average UFC fighter. Belcher has been winning. Bisping doesn't even look that great when he wins. Dan Miller, in all seriousness was Bisping's biggest win in his career...that is pretty sad..
Yea whatever, in that case Belcher should take this fight if he gets offered it and have nothing to worry about, this is the fight I want to see, Belcher vs Bisping, by the way.

as for Bisping not looking impressive, he owned Miller, Miller had nothing on Bisping in that fight, He won the first round against Henderson and got cause by a one punch wonder which could of happened to anyone, and finally was very unlucky not to get the decision against Silva, lets be honest the one incident in the 3rd round that even gave any type of legit argument for judges to call it in favour of Silva was in the final 10 seconds when Wandy nearly finished Bisping, but up till then Bisping was winning the round quite convincingly and should of took the decision, you think the Russow comeback was a lucky freak incident, well so was the Silva comeback against Bisping, in fact maybe more so.

Come to think why we are at it lets look at the only other loss in his career, a spilt decision against Rash in a fight that may people thought Bisping should have won.

My point is NOBODY has EVER owned Bisping and out claassed him for an entire fight, the few losses he has had in his career have always been very close calls or great comebacks

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Yea whatever, in that case Belcher should take this fight if he gets offered it and have nothing to worry about, this is the fight I want to see, Belcher vs Bisping, by the way.

as for Bisping not looking impressive, he owned Miller, Miller had nothing on Bisping in that fight, He won the first round against Henderson and got cause by a one punch wonder which could of happened to anyone, and finally was very unlucky not to get the decision against Silva, lets be honest the one incident in the 3rd round that even gave any type of legit argument for judges to call it in favour of Silva was in the final 10 seconds when Wandy nearly finished Bisping, but up till then Bisping was winning the round quite convincingly and should of took the decision, you think the Russow comeback was a lucky freak incident, well so was the Silva comeback against Bisping, in fact maybe more so.

Come to think why we are at it lets look at the only other loss in his career, a spilt decision against Rash in a fight that may people thought Bisping should have won.

My point is NOBODY has EVER owned Bisping and out claassed him for an entire fight, the few losses he has had in his career have always been very close calls or great comebacks
How was he winning anything against Henderson? Hendo stalked him the entire fight and it was so obvious what was gonna happen.

Also Wandy never came back from anything he beat Bisping down the both the last two rounds and first was the closest round.

And just for my own amusement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts