Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UFC 121 announcements are coming fast and furious, and a heavyweight matchup is the latest addition to the card.

Former UFC heavyweight title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga (11-5 MMA, 7-4 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" blogger Brendan Schaub (6-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) have agreed to meet at the Oct. 23 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed that bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly. Sportsnet.ca first reported the contest.

Featuring a heavyweight title clash between champion Brock Lesnar and challenger Cain Velasquez, UFC 121 takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and airs live on pay-per-view.

Gonzaga fights for the first time since a March loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC on Versus 1. The Brazilian heavyweight, who will always be remembered for his head-kick knockout of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, is just 1-2 in his past three outings, though the losses came to top prospect dos Santos and recent title challenger Shane Carwin.

A threat with his submission game as well as a strong striker, "Napao's" remaining career losses came in an August 2007 bid for the UFC title against Randy Couture and in a January 2008 fight with Fabricio Werdum, who recently defeated Fedor Emelianenko.

Meanwhile, Schaub returns to action for the third time in 2010 and a little more than three months removed from a 67-second destruction of Chris Tuchscherer.

Schaub also defeated Chase Gormley in March for his second-consecutive win following a disappointing knockout loss to Roy Nelson in the finals of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" tournament. An explosive competitor who fights out of Colorado's Grudge Training Center, "The Hybrid" has never fought beyond the first round and has averaged just 58 seconds of cage time in each of his six career wins.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/20020/gab...campaign=Feed:+mmajunkie+(MMAjunkie.com+Feed)

Gonzaga will be too good in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I think this is a BIG test for Brendan. Having said that, he trains with Carwin on a daily basis and his boxing is actually really damn good. If he can avoid this going to the ground, which Gonzaga usually likes to trade, then I think he takes this.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I just have a lot of faith in Schaub I guess because I think he takes this fight very easily. I have never liked the stand up of Gonzaga and it keeps getting worse IMO. He needs to get it to the ground and I think Schaub is too quick for him.

Schaub winner by KO at 3:38 in the first round.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i like this fight a lot. i think gonzaga has the slight advantage, but schaub definitely has a good chance to win and move significantly up the hw ladder.

either way, i expect to see a ko, and i hope schaub is the one delivering it.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
I think Schaub can pull this off, but Gonzaga is no pushover. Plus I'm a bit of a Gonzaga fan so I can't just write him off. He's very dangerous, and on paper this fight should be very fun. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Superb. I like both fighters, Gabe needs this one a lot more, obviously.

I like how great Brendan's looked lately. I might throw a bit on the underdog if there's significant value.

If you give me Schaub at +200 or so, I'll take it for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Schaub has beaten bums. I wouldn't say he's looked good or is a good fighter in any aspect. He has no takedown defense, Gabe should have no problem getting him to the ground in the first round and finishing it rather quickly. That said, if Gabe gasses out in 4 minutes like he's prone to do, Schaub could pick him apart in the second and third. In fact, I'm pretty sure any fighter in the HW division could pick apart Gonzaga in later rounds.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I kinda like Schaub but I root for Napao.

GG has tons of potential and loss to Schaub will propably be his end in UFC.

I dont want that.

WAR GABE!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking foward to this fight,as well as the rest of this sick card.I like Brendan,I hope he has been working on td defense and ground game as a whole.Gabe is a master on the ground,if he gets Schuab down early,it's over.If Brendan can keep it standing he can ko Gabe.It will be a good test to see where he truely stands in the division.Perfect opponent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts