Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Georges St-Pierre - "I Want To Fight the Best and Jake Shields Is the Best Right Now"

"[Jake Shields] He's a great submission fighter", St-Pierre said. "He's got great technique and takedowns. He's very good at not getting hit standing up, he's a perfect mixed martial artist and he's going to have a long career. He's a very smart guy and I have a lot of respect for this guy. I love watching his fights."

"As a matter of fact, there's only a few guys I like to watch in mixed martial arts, to learn, and he's one of them."

"Shields is amazing. He's of course the guy to beat right now. He's fighting at 185 lbs right now, and he's dominating and beating everyone at 185, and he's (a natural) 170 lbs fighter. He's not only an amazing fighter, he's an amazing jiu-jitsu fighter."

"As a proud champion, I want to fight the best and Jake Shields is the best right now."
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/23/1440651/quote-of-the-day-georges-st-pierre

I'd become interesting it goes to the ground.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I hope the UFC signs him. He needs to fight the best guys at 170 to paint a clearer picture as to where he should be ranked. As for a GSP fight, I see GSP taking it. Nobody's touching him at 170. But at least Shields would be a new contender that truly deserves a fight with the champ.

·
Registered
190 Posts
that would be a sweet fight. ok casual fans would probably hate it but picture the scrambles and transitions that would be sweet unless GSP choose to keep it standing which would be cool to see him pick jake apart

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
This would be GSP dominating Shields in the stand up game.

Thats what GSP does best, he take the fight to where his opponent is the weakest.

Lets just suppose that Shields is able to take GSP down and lets say he even get full mount... seeing how sad his G&P is, GSP's worse case scenario is for him to pull a Hendo and wait til the next round

·
Registered
40 Posts
This would be GSP dominating Shields in the stand up game.

Thats what GSP does best, he take the fight to where his opponent is the weakest.

Lets just suppose that Shields is able to take GSP down and lets say he even get full mount... seeing how sad his G&P is, GSP's worse case scenario is for him to pull a Hendo and wait til the next round
Exactly.

Shields is boring as hell, technical on the ground but just so friggin boring. I respect the ground game and everything but watch Jake Shields grind out a win on top of people is boring. At least GSP has finished fights when taking people down to the ground.

Its a tough fight to distinguish. Shields is an awesome wrestler and so is GSP. I have the edge towards GSP in the stand up obviously. I think GSPs is to well rounded for Shields and his take down defense is very strong as well.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
We might get to see GSP stand for 5 rounds lol
This would be the most likely scenario. Shields standing is a very weak fighter, GSP's athleticism would give Shields fits in the octagon.

It would be interesting to see Shields get the TD and GSP fight off of his back since he has done very little of that during his career.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This fight would be interesting. I believe that GSPs stand is better than Dan Hendersons, but he doesn't hit as hard.

Unless he makes some jurastic changes to his stand up, Shields stands absolutly no chance against GSP. Shields fights stiff standing up. Watching Shields stand up is like watching a robot fight. He hits with no rhythm.

It would be interesting to who has the better wrestling. I always thought that if GSP fought Hendo, he would lose. Now to see Shields beat him is ridiculous.

IMO, if Shields can take down GSP and grapple with him, he can beat GSP. St.Pierre, I think, will not want this to go to the ground. Shields will win the grappling game. If Shields can't take GSP down, he's doomed.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i dont think GSP could handle Shields top game.

i just dont know if Shields can end up on top, i always doubt the guy, he always proves me wrong.

its the most interesting WW for GSP, IMO. If Jake can take GSP down, i sure he can win. Shields top game might not be devastating but he doesnt need to be, his control is the best in the game and he wont give you any mistakes to get out from under him.

it would be interesting to see if GSP can actually gas if somebody puts him on his back and works him over.

I remember when Hughes put him on his back....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I remember when Hughes put him on his back....
You make it sound like your'e an old man talking about some far gone past.

I see this being a back and forth wrestling match, with GSP's superior stand up allowing him to set up more takedowns and inflict more damage. Its not like Shields wouldn't be able to take GSP down, but I doubt he could finish him and I doubt he would do it more than GSP.

Then again, I gave him no chance at beating Henderson.

·
Registered
643 Posts
GSP is so dominate because without question he determines where the fight happens, and if he feels uncomfortable in a certain situation he has the ability to change it. Shields has superb control on the ground, nice submissions, and solid gnp, but his standup is pathetic. I see GSP tooling Shields on the feet and winning with a TKO in the 1st round. Shields only chance is to weather the storm on the feet and somehow sweep GSP (good luck) and take top control where he can work his gnp and subs. Positioning on the ground and cardio will determine the outcome of this fight, and GSP is better in both departments. Regardless, this presents a different challenge for GSP, and will undoubtedly be his 'most dangerous opponent.'

·
Registered
342 Posts
Im still not convincined that shield's top game really is explosive enough to submit a guy like gsp. I'm not even sure that he will be able to hold gsp down very long if he takes him down.

And I dont think that 1st Hughes fight is a good indicator of where his BJJ is now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
OK George. I get it. Your Scared of Anderson, i get it,you've just witnessed the first ever "clowning" and its got ya worried, dont worry everyone is timid when they see someone better its natural.

for those who didnt know, this was nothing but a troll... and it worked.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.