Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Georges St. Pierre on fight with Anderson Silva: “It would be the biggest fight...

UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre has confirmed he would be interested in a fight against middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, saying if the fight was made it would probably be the biggest in the history of the promotion.

Speaking to MMAJunkie.com, St. Pierre said:

“If I move up to middleweight, I would have to take some extra time to put some weight on. I can do it now, but if I want to do it, I want to do it for a championship. I don’t want to just go there and fight and come back down.”

“There is another thing to consider: If I move up, maybe I won’t be able to come back down to defend my (welterweight) title. So it’s a big decision to take. I would have to consider it and have a talk with UFC management and with my management and my trainers to see what’s going to happen. It’s not impossible.”

“If he dropped to 170 pounds, probably. He fought a few years ago in Japan at 168, which is even less. So if he did, of course. It would be the biggest fight in UFC history, probably. It would be interesting.”

When asked who would win a fight between the two, GSP said:

“There is only one way to find out.”

I guess it’s going to be up to UFC President, Dana White and his team to make their minds up on whether they want to see a fight between the two dominant champions. Would St. Pierre’s wrestling skills be up to taking “The Spider” to the ground and would we see the Brazilian re-motivated in the face of such a historic fight.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
I dont think so, not now with the criticism they have received lately. It would be huge but not the biggest fight in UFC history.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think it would either, it would be huge though no doubt. I personally would rather see Silva fight Shogun, I still question how GSP would look at 185.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Like Leites and Maia.
I really think the Silva-GSP fight would either be a stalemate (Leites/Maia) or a one sided KO by Silva, thing is GSP's BJJ is nowhere near Leites or Maia so I don't think Silva would be cautious at all agaisnt GSP and would be the aggressor and get the KO. A Shogun fight would be a freaking blitzkrieg

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Anderson dropping to 170 would be like submitting to GSP. I can't see that Anderson would be as strong at 170 and GSP is way way to strong at 170, he would take Anderson down and dominate.

At 185, it's hard to say, if there was ever a need for a catchweight fight it these two. Make it at 178, give them five rounds. More likely to happen if neither guy is at risk of losing his title and then GSP can't say he's worried about not coming back to 170.

Reactions: Icculus

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Size wouldn't be an issue in the 185 Silva/GSP fight! GSP is the best MMA Wrestler, a size advantage for Silva won't help him anything, cause Wrestling is a skill. A skill GSP is way too far ahead of him.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I don't think it would either, it would be huge though no doubt. I personally would rather see Silva fight Shogun, I still question how GSP would look at 185.
Same.

And I think if anderson moved down and lost to gsp it wouldnt mean a lot for gsp or affect p4p rankings. I think gsp needs to move out of his weight class to move up in p4p rankings and to adequately challenge anderson.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Size wouldn't be an issue in the 185 Silva/GSP fight! GSP is the best MMA Wrestler, a size advantage for Silva won't help him anything, cause Wrestling is a skill. A skill GSP is way too far ahead of him.
and Anderson is way ahead of GSP in striking imo, thing about wrestling is to use it you have to be in striking range, the way I see this fight ending is GSP getting tagged on the way in, dropping, and getting TKO'd. Anderson has power but his accuracy and precision is unreal.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
GSP's faced numerous strikers who weren't able to land squat, regardless of St. Pierre's position. We're talking known knock out artists. Now, there's only one Anderson Silva. I admit that. And I further hate to bring up past fights, but if Lutter can get Silva to the ground without getting tagged, surely, GSP can do it. I'd be more worried about GSP getting subbed from top position than getting tagged on his way in for a takedown. Frankly, this fight needs to happen, though maybe not right now. I'm tired of running on and debating nothing but speculation. If these two can come back and win their next fights in impressive fashion (meaning a finish, which is all fans seem to care about these days), then St. Pierre vs. Silva should be a foregone conclusion.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thing is the strikers he fought at WW he was better than imo and used his striking to set up his TD's, now he didn't have to do that against Hardy since he was so far ahead of Hardy it really didn't matter. Silva is faster, more powerful and more accurate than any striker GSP has faced. As far as the Lutter fight, that fight was what 3 years ago IIRC, we see fighter's improve leaps and bounds from one fight to the next, not to mention he probably trains TDD and BJJ non-stop since everyone ssumes that's his weakness and for good reason.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Same.

And I think if anderson moved down and lost to gsp it wouldnt mean a lot for gsp or affect p4p rankings. I think gsp needs to move out of his weight class to move up in p4p rankings and to adequately challenge anderson.
This is why I took it with a grain of salt when he said he wanted to stay at 170. I bet he would move up if it was the only way he could fight A. Silva.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
This is why I took it with a grain of salt when he said he wanted to stay at 170. I bet he would move up if it was the only way he could fight A. Silva.
They just need to have a five round catchweight fight. GSP doesn't want to just vacate his title to move to a weaker division. 185 is a joke compared to WW, so just have a catchweight, GSP can win/lose and head back to 170. Which is where he should be. There is one fight at 185 for GSP and that's Silva, the rest of the division is a laughable. Anderson v Belfort at 185, GSP v Anderson at catchweight and Silva moves up to LHW permanently.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think GSP should move up to MW for a fight or 2 and fight a mid level MW to see how he performs before a fight with Silva. Silva dropping down to 170 just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I think GSP should move up to MW for a fight or 2 and fight a mid level MW to see how he performs before a fight with Silva. Silva dropping down to 170 just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Who's he going to fight at MW.........Nate? Please...GSP by dominate wrestling, who else is even a fighter at MW?

If Hendo was still around maybe, just maybe I'd be interested in that fight, but the rest of MW is a joke. GSP v Silva and that's it, I don't support a move to MW unless it's for that fight.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Who's he going to fight at MW.........Nate? Please...GSP by dominate wrestling, who else is even a fighter at MW?

If Hendo was still around maybe, just maybe I'd be interested in that fight, but the rest of MW is a joke. GSP v Silva and that's it, I don't support a move to MW unless it's for that fight.
Chael, Vitor, Marquardt, Okami, W. Silva, Cote, Akiyama

1 - 20 of 31 Posts