Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12130&zoneid=13

The man with the slam will get back in action sooner rather than later.

Gerald Harris, whose slam was heard round the world at UFC 116, will step in on short notice to fill the spot vacated by Jorge Rivera earlier today when the Boston area fighter was forced out of his bout against Alessio Sakara with a broken arm.

Harris' placement in the fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the negotiations on Friday.

Stepping in on just over one month's notice, Harris was actually proceeding over a homecoming in Ohio today, but will return home to Oklahoma shortly to get ready for his August 28 fight with Sakara.

Since returning to the UFC following a stint on the "Ultimate Fighter", Harris has gone 3-0 with three consecutive stoppages, including a couple "Knockout of the Night" bonuses along the way.

The former Cleveland State wrestler is on a 10-fight win streak overall including fights outside the UFC.

The bout between Rivera and Sakara was set to be on the Spike TV prelim show for UFC 118, but at this time it has not been determined if the new fight will stay in the same slot or not. MMAWeekly.com will have more information about the Spike TV prelim show as it becomes available.
Gerald was damn impressive last time out but Sakara is a big step up in competition. Tough one to call though.

P.S If someone did embed article that would be cool! I am shite at it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not a step up at all. Dave Branch and Mario Miranda are both more than likely superior fighters. This should be easy for Harris, as long as he has a good GP. Hell, even striking, Sakara has a fragile chin. Harris by KO/TKO(Punches)

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am always waruy about making these claims cos Bandwagons get out of control very quickly but looking down the MW division Harris has got to have one of the best shots at beating A.Silva if he can keep improving fight by fight. he has power in his hands, so a flash K.O is possible and in the last fight showed he is no slouch in the clinch either. I'd certainly give him a better shot at it than the likes of Leben, Akiyama, Bisping and Marquardt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am always waruy about making these claims cos Bandwagons get out of control very quickly but looking down the MW division Harris has got to have one of the best shots at beating A.Silva if he can keep improving fight by fight. he has power in his hands, so a flash K.O is possible and in the last fight showed he is no slouch in the clinch either. I'd certainly give him a better shot at it than the likes of Leben, Akiyama, Bisping and Marquardt.
But no one has a better chance than Wanderlei

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But no one has a better chance than Wanderlei
Not anymore for me. His best asset has always been his killer instint but it seems like he has lost it as of late.
In Pride once he hurt someone he would swarm all over them and completely overwhelm them. He hasn't done that for ages - in the Bisping fight he hurt Mike a few times and the backed off! if he did that against A. Silva he will get killed!

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Loving this fight. Big fan of Gerald Harris, and Sakara always comes to put on a show. This is going to be a good test of just how good Harris really is. If he's going to get anywhere in the UFC he needs to be taking guys like Sakara out. I reckon he can do it, but it's going to be a tough fight for the both of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts