Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy is on an absolute tear! 3 KOs in a row against good undefeated fighters, surely it's time for him to have a big test? The guy seems to have the raw power to dominate a lot of people in the MW division! Who do you think is next for "The Hurricane"!?

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
He looked very good last night, with a litle refinement to his game he can surely go further in the UFC ladder.

Props to him for not hurting his Koed opponent! :praise01:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
His stance was very interesting, kindof a mix between a boxing stance and a wrestling stance with a low base, knees bent far, shoulder facing opponent, chin completely tucked, and lead hand held at the waist.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was cageside (right behind Bas mind you) for one of his fights in Amarillo, TX and I became an instant fan. He knocked down a former UFC fighter with a jab and stiffened him up for about 2 min after some vicious gnp, brutal KO. He is a beast, and I loved the Page/Arona slam KO finish.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm gonna be honest I had no idea who he was until last night. After seeing the slam and being the slam/wrestling fan that I am, I'm on the wagon. Here's hoping that there's more bad a$$ slams to come.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I am now a fan of Gerald Harris, no doubt about it. He did what he claimed to like doing on the ultimate fighter, and thats utilize slams, ala Rampage. I think he got 3 good slams in this fight, and finished Branch with the final one. Also props to him for not following up with punches because he knew Branch was out. He made a gamble there knowing it may have cost him a finish, but he put his opponents health before that and that shows class and solid morals in my opinion.

He showed excellent wrestling, and good ground defense considering he was able to shrug off all of the submission attempts that Branch had to offer. I also noticed that Branch seemed gigantic compared to Harris. That just goes to show how much power Harris really has considering he rag dolled Branch multiple times.

His stand up still needs work, he has a lot of power behind his punches and seems very explosive in the standup, but that explosiveness may come back to haunt him eventually, you don't want to get too careless. I'm sure he will start to utilize that for the better once he improves his stand up more and more.

Anyone else notice how much Rogan was talking up Branch at the beginning of the fight? Throughout the first round, it seemed like Goldberg was the only one to have nice things to say about Gerald Harris while Rogan made it seem like Branch was an overwhelming favorite. Joe eventually changed his tune after Gerald started taking over the fight.

I expect this guy to keep improving.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
I'm gonna be honest I had no idea who he was until last night. After seeing the slam and being the slam/wrestling fan that I am, I'm on the wagon. Here's hoping that there's more bad a$$ slams to come.
Watch the Ultimate Fighter Season 7, his fight with Amir Sadollah was the fight of the season. Whats pretty amazing is the two best fighters from that season where knocked out in the first round (Matthew Riddle and Gerald Harris).

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
True story, and Gerald Harris was beating Sadollah convincingly in my opinion up until he got caught by a knee. I think it was more from gassing as well, although I'd have to re watch the fight to confirm that.

He has improved a lot since the show.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
True story, and Gerald Harris was beating Sadollah convincingly in my opinion up until he got caught by a knee. I think it was more from gassing as well, although I'd have to re watch the fight to confirm that.

He has improved a lot since the show.
Sadollah was getting his ass kicked badly by every guy he fought (Byrne, Harris, Brown, Dolloway)before he pulled out those wins...that's what made him awesome. We never found out why Sadollah did more damage to Harris then we saw because he was on crutches for the rest of the season.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I thought Harris was beating him the most decisively out of everyone he fought before he managed a come from behind win. His fight with Brown wasn't that one sided and he decisively beat Dollaway in their rematch with a first round submission. I don't remember how his fight with Byrne played out. I just know that he won by submission in the second round.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
the guys great, but i think he should move down to WW he is very small for MW IMO and has a lot of unnecessary muscle mass which he could lose without losing too much of his strength.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
I thought Harris was beating him the most decisively out of everyone he fought before he managed a come from behind win. His fight with Brown wasn't that one sided and he decisively beat Dollaway in their rematch with a first round submission. I don't remember how his fight with Byrne played out. I just know that he won by submission in the second round.
Byrne was supposed to be a plant and was one of the favorites going in, he had already fought in the UFC and Amir had no experience. In the first round Byrne used his wrestling to dominant Amir but he gassed out and Amir pulled out the last two rounds.

IIRC Harris did have both rounds won and had he been able to hold on we wouldn't have gotten a round 3 but he got slammed hard by the knee.

In the first fight Dollaway was dominating Amir but he busted out the arm bar, he did it again in the rematch but much quicker.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Even without the slam KO, this was an awesome fight. I was so stoked that they has JUST enough time to play the whole 13 min fight on Spike and lead us right in to the PPV. For all of the times we complain about commercials and presentation problems, this sure was a nice gift.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It was fairly obvious this guy was good even back on TUF. Yeah he got dropped and finished by Amir, but he still looked impressive in making it that far and even in that fight.

His speed, power, explosiveness, wrestling and top control are all brilliant. Definitely going to have a good career.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
It wouldn't be a bad idea for him to drop down to welterweight. Branch was a lot larger, and not just because of the height difference. Being taller than someone doesn't make you bigger than them. He also looked bigger overall. It was like two guys from separate weight classes fighting. Although that is the crazy part. Regardless of the size difference, Harris succeeded on rag dolling Branch as if he were the bigger guy. If he dropped down a weight class properly without losing much strength, he may be one of the most powerful guys in the division. If he is slamming guys like Branch with ease, imagine him lifting welterweights off the ground and sending them to the canvas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts