Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering if eny of you know how to go about gettin into mma i live in the uk and have done a little boxing thats it i would love to give mma a go as i love the sport to death can enyone piont me in the right direction is there like mma schools you can go to or do i have to like train in varios styles

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would keep my fights in the gym and have my fun that way unless I had years of experience in martial arts and grappling and was in the best condition of my life while still being in my prime. otherwise I'd stay out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Which county do you live in and I will put the link to the directory to all the clubs in the area. You wont find any MMA schools here in the UK already looked.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i live in leeds/uk i have been wanting to get into it for a while i guess i am wantin to learn some, boxing, wrestling, ju-jit-su- and some submission skills

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I don't know if there's any BJJ in the UK, but I would suggest that with some boxing. If you think you're going to just be able to dive right in you have the wrong idea.

I've been training MMA since I was 14 and even though I have a good MMA record, it's because I waited 4 years before I took my first fight. You got to think about how old you are and whether or not you're going to be able to get into this and compete with guys who have been doing this since childhood.

Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i am 20 years old i consider that to be very young i learn very fast if i can manage to find a place that will help me me a more rounded fighter i think i might have a good chance i am very athletic and very strong for my size i am 5 foot 6 and weigh 63kg and can bench just over 100kg i am very strong and and i do not have a bulky frame i rekon i would be at a advantage i would be a lightweight and i would be stronger than most my opponents i know strenth is not the most inportant attribute in mma but it helps with the right training no dout in my mind i would kick ass i know i have potentiol it just seem no one knows how to get into this shit

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Sure. Look around town for promoters who work with any kind of fighting. Ask them about where to look for MMA. I can't give you any help outside of that other than never turn your back on another fighter, even outside of the ring.

Usually if you find a gym, your trainer will have an idea.

By the way, 20 is old to be starting your training. Most guys start with their martial arts training in middle school or high school. Some start as you as 8.

Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
startin age has really nothin to do with it i have seen events were a guy aged 30 odd had only started fightin at 26 and still whooped ass when i started boxing i was beatin people who had being doing it years before me it all comes down to natural talent, abilitly to learn. and detumanation what the point in statin at 8 you aint gonna take it seriosly at that age i pick up skills very easly and if i find somewere that will train me i know ill be able to beat people who have been doing it longer it happens in mma all the time experiance is only has good as the fighter who posses it e.g ritch franklin used to be a teacher only started fighing less than 5 years ago now he is dominating the middleweight division why natural talent mean while evan tanner who has tons of experance can not seem to hang with the big dogs do not tell me that 20 is to old i know that if i was trainind in mma for 3 to 5 years thats all the time i would need thats all tito had and look at him

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
That is a really good point, dedication is what matters. But you're going to have to put alot of time in to keep up with people who have been doing this their whole lives. Rich Franklin gave his entire life up and dedicated himself entirely to MMA for 4 years and that kind of dedication doesn't come along very often.

I also think you underestimate the dedication of youths and the heightened ability to learn at a young age.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i get what you are sayin but the fact remains i am 20 i am in my prime and will be for many years to say its a bit to old is sill if i was startin at 30 then you would have a point but like i sead experiance is only as good as the fighter who posses it i feel i have potentiol but will never no untill i give it it go i wish i was american it would be easyer to get into not many people over here are really aware of mma making it hard for me to get into

·
Registered
63 Posts
ice makes a good point. gracie was a 4th degree black belt at the time he beat the black dragon who held 10 different black belts. there are naturals that fight good without training then there are people without talent that learn slow. at 20 if youre a natural I'd say go for it and enjoy it whether you got into the ufc or not but someone over 30 thats not gifted I'd say start training at a local gym if it pleases you but dont consider yourself a badass and expect to get into the ufc.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
20 is not too old to start I am 28 and thinking of competeing, granted I ahve been training on and off since I was about 6 so I have that going for me, but I know I need to get in a bit better shape and am planning on entering a few grappling tournaments first to get the feel of competition again

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Sport jiu-jitsu?!? Are you talking about jiu-jitsu only competitions?

Jiu0jitsu might be a sport but as far as I know all of the schools that I've been to (and that's a few) teach practical jiu-jitsu.

·
Banned
495 Posts
I have been to alot of Gyms and a few of them teaches sitting guard and way's to play from the guard that would get you knocked out in an MMA fight.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Well that's surprising and disappointing. I just assumed that if you were permitted to run a Jiu-jitsu place that you knew what you were doing. . . oh well.

Where abouts in Jersey are these schools (I'm assuming that they're near to you)?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts