Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year or so off from MMA training I am starting a running - crossfit - Thai pad - BJJ weekly workout routine.

I did a baseline run last night for a 1 mile run. I ran it in 9min 20 sec. Not so good, but I am 42.

Hope to make big gains in the fitness department over the next few months. Does anyone recommend a good supplement for a 42 year old to recover from extreme workouts?

·
Dexter Morgan
5,815 Posts
After a year or so off from MMA training I am starting a running - crossfit - Thai pad - BJJ weekly workout routine.

I did a baseline run last night for a 1 mile run. I ran it in 9min 20 sec. Not so good, but I am 42.

Hope to make big gains in the fitness department over the next few months. Does anyone recommend a good supplement for a 42 year old to recover from extreme workouts?
I can't help with your question but I can help with your fitness.

I am starting a MMAF contest tonight that I feel a lot of members will appreciate and it has to do with pushing ourselves daily and recording it here. More details later but hopefully you will join :)

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't help with your question but I can help with your fitness.

I am starting a MMAF contest tonight that I feel a lot of members will appreciate and it has to do with pushing ourselves daily and recording it here. More details later but hopefully you will join :)
Sounds like a good idea. Motivation is always a good thing :)

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
im in the same age group and pretty much in your place last year in October... hadnt worked out for over 10 years... motivation wise, i get my ass outta my office everyday and haul it to the gym... its a daily routine now, so its weird missing a day ;)

Supplement wise, I got these recommended for recovery:
-Glutamine
-Arginine
-HMB

Glutamine is usually already included in most protein supplements so be careful to not waste cash on something you might already be taking

Non supplements:
foam rolling, massage, sauna

Btw, I cant run... i got weak knees and a sensitive low back after injuries... so pretty much anything high impact is out for me :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Best thing you can do that no supplement can replace is get at least 8-9 hours of sleep a night, if you really need something melatonin can help create good sleep habits.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best thing you can do that no supplement can replace is get at least 8-9 hours of sleep a night, if you really need something melatonin can help create good sleep habits.
From past experience I know this was hard for me when I was actively training MMA. My body would be so sore and tired that I couldnt sleep wel enough to recover properly.
Im just concerned because its been a year and a half since I was "in shape" and in the late 30s to 40s your body changes dramatically.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know what you mean with having trouble sleeping stretching for 15-20 minutes before bed helps me relax and when you wake up you feel far better than when you went to sleep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.