Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ummmm.....no. He does look pretty good (really the only fighter that was worth watching in SF last night imo), but one of the best Light Weights in the world? roflmao.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great fight

Gilbert is a tuff dude. His game plan was well thought out and executed. Really a great fight to watch. At any moment he could have slipped into Aoki's game, he didn't bite. Amazing fight.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I think Gilbert is in the top 5 LW rankings now not top 3 yet! But I am sure, that he would be a title contender in the UFC.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gilbert is a tuff dude. His game plan was well thought out and executed. Really a great fight to watch. At any moment he could have slipped into Aoki's game, he didn't bite. Amazing fight.
I don't disagree w/ya at all. And he even began to gain some confidence as the fight progressed as far as going into Aoki's guard and trying some ground-n-pound. He looked good, had a good strategy, worked that strategy, and let it evolve.

I just don't think he is as highly rated as most seem to. I would not mind seeing him picked up by the UFC...he would certainly be a nice addition to an already stellar division.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think Gilbert is in the top 5 LW rankings now not top 3 yet! But I am sure, that he would be a title contender in the UFC.
I agree with this. He would definitely be ranked high in the Ufc. I don't know if beating Aoki would put him in the top 3 though. I think Aoki was a little overrated to begin with. He is too one dimensional to be ranked so high as a lw. Gilbert is a tough dude though with some great cardio.

·
Banned
670 Posts
Not sure but Ioki put on one hell of n embarrasing performance, chasing after someone like a dog whiping his ass on the carpet, lmao that was funny. ANd when he got tagged that was hillarious. Oh and its official Japan has just signed the contracts, they are now a colony of SF.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Yeah Gilbert is a top 3 LW IMHO. If he wants more people to think that it is time for him to finally go UFC. ITS TIME GILBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
As far as skill goes when at 100%.

1.BJ
2.Thompson
2a.Gilbert
2b.Kenny
2c.Frankie

Those 4 guys are basically equal and would trade wins. Outside of that you have guys like Gray, Kawajiri, and JZ who are on a level right below them and could get a win or two against 2-5.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as skill goes when at 100%.

1.BJ
2.Thompson
2a.Gilbert
2b.Kenny
2c.Frankie

Those 4 guys are basically equal and would trade wins. Outside of that you have guys like Gray, Kawajiri, and JZ who are on a level right below them and could get a win or two against 2-5.
I'm pretty sure Edgar should be the number 1 guy right now. He looked much better then BJ in there fight. In terms of Melendez I feel that Penn, Edgar, Florian, Maynard, and Sherk are all on another level then him. I was not impressed with Melendez or Aoki at all.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Really impressed by Gilbert, and I'd absolutely include him in the top five, if not top three. I think he'd fall to both BJ Penn and Kenny Florian, but I one hundred percent believe that he'd defeat Frank Edgar, or anyone else in LW, in any division. I'd love to see him fight in the UFC some day, not because I'm a UFC fan boy, but because I've no idea who could possibly challenge him in SF right now, short of yet another bout with J.T.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
No idea how to rank him right now, but Im happy to see the Aoki hype finally die. Yes he has sick ground game, but vs. real mixed martial artists you need more complete game than Aoki has with his crappy takedowns and non existing striking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gilberts good... but before everyone goes but fudder over him... how about we take a breather...

if beating a 1 dimensional grappler makes you a top 5, than more people need to start signing fights with Aoki to increase their stock :thumb02:

although I do admit Gilbert has some big Ws over some actually tougher opponents

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm pretty sure Edgar should be the number 1 guy right now. He looked much better then BJ in there fight. In terms of Melendez I feel that Penn, Edgar, Florian, Maynard, and Sherk are all on another level then him. I was not impressed with Melendez or Aoki at all.
lol edgar don't deserve NO1 status because of 1 fight thats silly

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm pretty sure Edgar should be the number 1 guy right now. He looked much better then BJ in there fight.
BJ is the better fighter and it will show when they rematch. That Penn was not 100% and it took the best Edgar to beat him. Also, the fight was very close. It only leads me to believe that if BJ was 100%, Edgar would not be discussed this highly right now. Frankie is a top LW but he beat a mediocre BJ that night.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Gilbert is a solid top 5 LW now il give him that, but Cesar Gracie's Camp are really taking off now, Nate looked great in his last fight, Nick is pushing top 10 P4P and Jakes almost top 5 P4P now. love to see them all in the UFC though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yea because it's not like he has wins over Sherk, Franca, and Griffen along with the Penn victory. Melendez does not have any wins that can compare to those.
errrm nope...If he was that good he would have been top 5 already...u dont suddenly shoot to the top because of a win over penn. If thats the case then the rankings dont make sense...
Rankings are based on a cumulative principle i assume....anyone who says you could jump 5/6 places to the top is being generous to say the least

agree with cisco at 155 bj is a monster and there is no way in hell edgar could have beaten a 100% fit penn.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ummmm.....no. He does look pretty good (really the only fighter that was worth watching in SF last night imo), but one of the best Light Weights in the world? roflmao.
Gilbert is a tough guy, and he's exciting to watch normally but i'm not sure about top 3 as I feel Aoki didn't deserve to be in top 3 himself. If you have sub defence, you beat Aoki. I know this might sound ignorrant, but his standup is shocking he's the lightweight Demian Maia,imo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BJ is the better fighter and it will show when they rematch. That Penn was not 100% and it took the best Edgar to beat him. Also, the fight was very close. It only leads me to believe that if BJ was 100%, Edgar would not be discussed this highly right now. Frankie is a top LW but he beat a mediocre BJ that night.
It's a sport. You have to bring your A game every night, and BJ failed to do that. I'm tired of hearing this as an excuse, when I wrestle at the D1 level and I'm tired from my weight cut and I lose a match I never blame it on not being 100%, so hopefully these PROFESSIONAL athletes don't use it as an excuse either.

If any of you guys ever competed in anything you would know that none of these guys ever enter the octagon 100%.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts