Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys(and girls)! Im new to this forum and MMA. I have been interested with it for a while but am just joining a class. Im 13 and im not in the best physical shape. Im not very smart or fast and was wondering is there any training i can do to get in better shape. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I am going to try BJJ for ground but i need stand up too so what should i do? Or should i work on just BJJ for now and i have never done any martial arts before( if it helps to know that).

·
Registered
54 Posts
well train BJJ and get some experience, go to grappling tournys and whatever. but its really until your comfortable with your abilities. its not like i can say "hey train for X amount of years" its more than that. hell you could even train both at the same time, but that requires money and at your age, i am pretty sure your parents are paying for your training

·
Registered
106 Posts
http://www.mmaforum.com/training-nutrition/16800-strength-training-help.html

http://www.mmaforum.com/strength-power-training/14007-strength-power-training.html

Seriously though, you're 13. You're still growing. I'd say wait a few more years before trying to bulk up or lose weight, unless you're vastly overweght as is. And even if you are, just attending a martial arts class is going to whip you into shape and better your health, a lot.

Besides, I wouldn't go crazy and facedive into the deep end just yet. You haven't started studying a martial art yet at all? You might get in there and find out that you don't like it, at all. Or you might find that you have more pressing interests than martial arts right now, for your age. Power to you if it is something you turn out to enjoy and you stick with it, I'm just saying though, you never know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not saying don't take a martial art. That's fine. Exercise like that is fine so long as it's not too high impact.

But trying to do hard weight loss might drain you, so that your body ends up being deprived of all of the nutrients it needs. Hard weight lifting while your body is still growing can stunt growth. Any kind of weird diet or a diet that uses supplements could end up throwing you off chemically.

Think of it like trying to do renovations on a house that's still being built. You're slowing down overall progress, and might end up holding it back even worse in some cases.

Your life though, do what you will.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Hey guys(and girls)! Im new to this forum and MMA. I have been interested with it for a while but am just joining a class. Im 13 and im not in the best physical shape. Im not very smart or fast and was wondering is there any training i can do to get in better shape. Any help appreciated!

Well, since you're 13 there are limitations.

First off you're still growing, meaning you will not be able to achieve your fullest potential, not even close. It would be close to 5 more years before you could achieve your best.

Secondly, there are theories stating that lifting heavy weights at a young age can stunt growth. This is more of an old wive's tale than proven fact. Though there is some data to support it, there's as much to deny it. Its more conjecture that this point than fact.

Honestly, if you are in MA classes now, then chances are you are building a very solid base to work from. If you wanted to do more, I recommend more cardio and light weightlifting. There is no such thing as too much cardio and with light muscle building you shouldn't have any worries.

Good luck and have fun man!

·
Registered
36 Posts
DO NOT worry about stunting growth, the ONLY way we know this can happen is if you improperly lift and damage one of your growth plates, then it could effect you. Though at your age you could simply just do some effective bodyweight training and then later on move to weights as you won't need to be that strong right now. Cardio would also be a good idea such as jog 60 secs, sprint 30, jog... repeat for 10 mins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool, I'm 12 doing wrestling and about to start Boxing and finish Tae Kwon Do. I have a trainer that says you don't need to do the weights just yet. Bodyweight excersises and eating healthy will do you good a lot. As from just that I'm more physically fit than most kids in my class.

·
Registered
66 Posts
to trim that body fat, run at least 2 miles every other day. my freshman year i was 5'7 and 180, i did this and ate right. (not to mention wrestling starting my sophomore year) and now im six foot and 148 at 7.4 percent bodyfat.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Ok thanks and how long should i train BJJ before moving on?
I don't see any reason you can't train boxing or MT right away if you want to, it will just give you better fundamentals down the line. Guys like Tyson and Pretty Boy Floyd started in the young teens, and the future crop of elite MMA athletes are now starting striking at your age or younger as well. But definitely don't neglect the ground game.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't see any reason you can't train boxing or MT right away if you want to, it will just give you better fundamentals down the line. Guys like Tyson and Pretty Boy Floyd started in the young teens, and the future crop of elite MMA athletes are now starting striking at your age or younger as well. But definitely don't neglect the ground game.
I agree with boxing, but not with MT. MT from what i have seen seems to be pretty hard on the body, i would only recomend people to do it after at least 16-18. Think about it a MT guys career rarely lasts into their 30s, my friends girlfriend is a perfect example, she snapped her shin, in a kick. Compound fracture, in crutches for almost a year, let alone never being able to do MT. She was only 21 when it happend. You dont want to end up like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.