Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Event Team Stage equipment

I found this on Sherdog, thought it was interesting.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/gomi-time-will-different-okami-take-step-up-1276285/

"It was announced today that the UFC On Versus 2 event with Gomi and Okami will be aired in Japan on PPV and on a TV-channel. Akiyama will commentate.

Microphone Singer Singing Performance Talent show

Gomi: "Recently when sparring (striking), my feeling of balance has returned to the times when I fought Kawajiri and Nakakura."

Facial hair Performance Singer Event Beard

"As a matter of fact I sparred with Tyson Griffin once when I went to Randy Couture's gym. I always thought that I would fight him someday but I'm surprised that it'll be so soon. I have thought of him as my rival since that time."

Okami knows he's in a tough fight but will win and take a step-up. This fight and possibly another one and I think he expects a title shot."

The pictures further emphasize to me how badly Akiyama needs to drop down to WW. Okami looks gigantic beside him, while he and Gomi look almost the same size.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Do you still think the UFC is cutting Akiyama? I told you Dana is making moves and the few asian stars they have are important to him.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you still think the UFC is cutting Akiyama? I told you Dana is making moves and the few asian stars they have are important to him.
Never said UFC was cutting Akiyama, but I do remember the conversation you're referring to. I remember stating something to the effect that Akiyama would be in serious danger if he dropped another match, and yes, I still believe that. =)

·
Banned
75 Posts
Wow, Akiyama does need to move down. I thought he was a bit undersized against Belcher, imagine if he fought Marquardt, Okami, Sonnen or another large MW.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Akiyama could make 170 lbs in his sleep. He's literally shorter (and weighs less) than GSP - and at anytime of the year. He clearly, like some Japanese fighters, doesn't cut any weight to make 185 lbs.

·
6,517 Posts
I don't really think it is the greatest idea to start cutting 20 pounds when you have cardio problems already and have never really cut weight before.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
I don't really think it is the greatest idea to start cutting 20 pounds when you have cardio problems already and have never really cut weight before.
well the fight against leban was about a year lay off from when he fought belcher and the belcher fight was 2 if I'm not mistaken

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Akiyama isn't such a weight cut puss.y.. he doesn't care! He knows that he is skilled enough to compete in the MW devision of the UFC. So why should he go down?

He should only focus on his Cardio and he will still make waves. Just like the guy he already beat!

Gomi.. I don't know! I think he will lose his upcoming fight. I hope he gets everything togehter again, but I don't thing that he still got it in him.

Okami is a new fighter now in my eyes! He knows exactly what he needs to improve. And he will school Munoz in my eyes. If he keeps training here in America I see him being in a title fight again. He's the biggest prospect for me still in the UFC. And he will get a last chance at that belt!

·
Registered
786 Posts
The only reason to ever change weight classes in MMA is the wrestling. If your striking is at a high level moving up or down makes no difference. This isn't boxing with the giant 16 oz gloves. With 4 oz gloves, a solid hit on the chin will put anyone to sleep.

Lyoto Machida has come in his last 5 fights between 199 and 202lbs, weighs at most 5-10 lbs more than GSP (plus being 2 inches taller). And he isn't chiseled out of stone like GSP, so chances are GSP is the stronger man, but Lyoto is fighting 2 weight classes above him. Nobody has managed to take down Lyoto Machida yet (Tito failed and then got taken down himself), which is why he has no reason to drop weight classes.

Akiyama has no problems taking anyone down at 185. There is no reason for him to drop down.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Akiyama is just fine at MW imo. Byt with his judo i could see him doing great things at WW.
And, what do you think guys: how long till the UFC makes an event in Japan?! by the end of 2011?!
Imagine the Super Saitama Arena full!!! :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Akiyama isn't such a weight cut puss.y.. he doesn't care! He knows that he is skilled enough to compete in the MW devision of the UFC. So why should he go down?
Cause he just lost to Chris Leben :dunno:

·
It Lurks...
676 Posts
Losing to Leban the way he did doesn't discredit him IMO. He came off a long layoff and his opponent changed just weeks before the bout. I love how so many of you start yelling about cutting weight every time a guy loses. Weight cutting is for chumps who can't stay in shape year round.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Losing to Leban the way he did doesn't discredit him IMO. He came off a long layoff and his opponent changed just weeks before the bout. I love how so many of you start yelling about cutting weight every time a guy loses. Weight cutting is for chumps who can't stay in shape year round.
First of all, most professional fighters make some sort of a cut. So according to you, most professional fighters are chumps? :confused02:

And it isn't everytime someone loses, it is when we can clearly tell that Akiyama is small for MW. He is smaller than a lot of WW fighters and WW would suit him a lot better in a lot of people's minds.

·
It Lurks...
676 Posts
First of all, most professional fighters make some sort of a cut. So according to you, most professional fighters are chumps? :confused02:

And it isn't everytime someone loses, it is when we can clearly tell that Akiyama is small for MW. He is smaller than a lot of WW fighters and WW would suit him a lot better in a lot of people's minds.

Yes. If you can't show up to your fight within the weight limits then your are not in that weight class. I don't care that a week ago when you were malnourished and dehydrated you managed to make your fictitious weight. Try fighting like that. If fighters were made to weigh in hours before a fight you'd see almost every "professional" get bumped up one class. Some even two! Chumps.

I guess you better email him stat and let him know a bunch of people on an internet forum think he's too small for his division when he's clearly in shape year round. Maybe the other mws are too big and should move up? Its not his fault he stays Sexyama year round while Anderson and others walk around forty pounds overweight sluggin down pizza and beer lookin like they didn't make their boyfriends bag it up.

·
6,517 Posts

Most guys aren't cutting down 20 pounds from being completely ripped. They are putting on body fat between fights and dieting down. GSP until recently wasn't cutting much at all to get to 170 because like Akiyama he stays in shape all year round. Akiyama is around 190 with low bodyfat so the cut would be harder for him than most guys who cut from the same weight down to 170. GSP recently said he is coming close to where he wouldn't be able to make the cut down to 170 if he kept gaining muscle and he is maybe 5 pounds heavier than Akiyama and has a lot more experience with weight cutting.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Yes. If you can't show up to your fight within the weight limits then your are not in that weight class. I don't care that a week ago when you were malnourished and dehydrated you managed to make your fictitious weight. Try fighting like that. If fighters were made to weigh in hours before a fight you'd see almost every "professional" get bumped up one class. Some even two! Chumps.

I guess you better email him stat and let him know a bunch of people on an internet forum think he's too small for his division when he's clearly in shape year round. Maybe the other mws are too big and should move up? Its not his fault he stays Sexyama year round while Anderson and others walk around forty pounds overweight sluggin down pizza and beer lookin like they didn't make their boyfriends bag it up.
It is ridiculous to say that they are ALL chumps. Yes, I agree that is it crazy that people cut enormous amounts of weight in order to be as big as possible at a particular weightclass. But the fact that a lot of them do force other to as well because they are at a size disadvantage.

Some fighters are in shape at the weight class they fight at, but go up a bit when not training. So what? That is pretty normal. The bad ones are the one cutting below what they should be at in order to come into the fight at a higher weight. But not dieting year round does not make someone a chump. That is a pretty elitist mindset. Most athletes are not at their performing weight when they are not training.

·
6,517 Posts
It is ridiculous to say that they are ALL chumps. Yes, I agree that is it crazy that people cut enormous amounts of weight in order to be as big as possible at a particular weightclass. But the fact that a lot of them do force other to as well because they are at a size disadvantage.

Some fighters are in shape at the weight class they fight at, but go up a bit when not training. So what? That is pretty normal. The bad ones are the one cutting below what they should be at in order to come into the fight at a higher weight. But not dieting year round does not make someone a chump. That is a pretty elitist mindset. Most athletes are not at their performing weight when they are not training.
Well to be fair I don't think Peyton Manning looks pregnant like Rampage in the off season. It really isn't very professional to completely let yourself go like that. If you gain like 5-10 pounds of fat that is understandable but not like 30-40 in a couple months. You have to pretty much eat nothing but pizza and icecream for every meal and stop exercising to do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts