Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats the final verdict.

I mean, no Japanese PRIDE fighter has come to America and achieved major success/winning streak. Why? What could be the underlying causes?

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Japanese fighters are smaller, typically don't cut as much weight, and focus too much on submission style fighting. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
They are too small since they like to their natural body weight near their respective division(which everyone will say). I think its still too early to give a final verdict on Gomi though, It was his first time inside a ring and we have noticed a few fighters having a problem with that early on.

Who knows.. Gomi might turn out like Shogun who looked like every other bust but turned out to be a contender.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Going up aganist the much stronger boxer/wrestler weightcutting fighters in the UFC/Strikeforce they are at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Boxing and wrestling isn't as prominent over there. Plus they don't really cut weight so they're not as bulked up. Okami and 1/2 of Machida are still holding it down though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Their era is over. 100%. Mark my words, we will never again see a Strikeforce or UFC champion from japan. They refuse to change their style, focus on submissions more than they should, and have horrendous striking. Notable exceptions include Okami and nobody else.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Pre UFC Okami used to always get beat when went outside of japan. He has got am american style and seems to cut more weight than most from Japan. Though i still think he could be at 170 if he wanted.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
most of them are just not good enough to make it outside of Japan.
...Excellent point. Nothing bad about Japanese fighters but the level of competition they have faced over there is nothing like the level we have over here. I'm still hoping Dana can get a hold of Kazushi Sakuraba. I've always enjoyed his game. (Not Rampage though...lol)! Japanese fighters are intelligent & crafty but have trouble dealing with good, aggressive strikers at our level. Whatever, I still think Japanese fighters add another good diverse element to MMA...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think japanese fighters best compare to the Gracies, very very rooted in their traditional fighting styles and other then previously mentioned Okami, they don't try to bulk up and cut weight. The only way a person of Japanese ethicity will ever win a belt in UFC any american MMA league is by training in a American (USA, Canada, Brazil) camp.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Aoki fought the likes of alvarez who are definately cutting weight and it was no problem for him. That weight cutting thing cant be the only reason.

·
Registered
603 Posts
They are too small since they like to their natural body weight near their respective division(which everyone will say). I think its still too early to give a final verdict on Gomi though, It was his first time inside a ring and we have noticed a few fighters having a problem with that early on.

Who knows.. Gomi might turn out like Shogun who looked like every other bust but turned out to be a contender.
Shoguns the next lhw champ, Gomi's going nowhere fast, since the Diaz fight he's been on a downward spiral,imo.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Japanese fighters fight at their natural weight. They don't cut down to make weight, so they are actually 155 pounds when they get into the cage. If we're about equal level of skill, but you have 15 or 20 pounds on me or maybe even more. Chances are you'll beat me just about every time.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Japanese fighters fight at their natural weight. They don't cut down to make weight, so they are actually 155 pounds when they get into the cage. If we're about equal level of skill, but you have 15 or 20 pounds on me or maybe even more. Chances are you'll beat me just about every time.
I think this is more the reason than failure to adapt style wise (although that is a contributing factor). Weight cutting is as much a part of the sport as BJJ, TDD, striking, wrestling, etc. It is a skill and you can't ignore. You simply can not fight guys that are 10-20 pounds bigger and win consistently. That used to fly when skill sets were more varied but your "average" fighter is so much better now that size is a huge issue.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Pretty much all been said, but I agree. Stiffer and more diverse competition exists in north america. The UFC for example brings in fighters from 4 different continents.

Weight cutting could also be an issue but I have no evidence to back that up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.