Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/12/1417856/gray-maynard-i-texted-joe-silva

Quoteworthy:
"I texted Joe Silva and told him I want the [title] fight. I will fight whoever they want me to, but they know I want to fight for the belt. They announced Edgar as the guy like a day after my fight with Diaz, so it’s not like I had a lot of time to say anything. Sure, I talked to Dana [White] after the Diaz fight and he knows I want to fight for the belt -- that’s what everyone wants to do -- but I trust them and hopefully now I will get a shot at my dream. You have to bully him. He is fast and you can’t let him move around like he did against Penn. You have to hit him with some punches, then get your hands on him and push him up against the cage and make him fight your fight."
Undefeated UFC lightweight contender Gray Maynard has been blowing up Joe Silva's phone ever since Frankie Edgar defeated BJ Penn for the 155-pound title on April 10 in Abu Dhabi. "The Bully" is the only man to defeat "The Answer" in 13 professional fights and hopes that history will repeat itself in their rematch -- assuming the UFC matchmaker and boss Dana White are interested in giving Maynard his big break. Anyone think that Edgar gets the better of him the second time around?

I'm sure you did considering you know you cant bet BJ and even if he were to win the belt from Frankie, which personally I dont see, he would lose it right away to Penn......

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't give it to him. He wanted no part of calling Penn out for a title shot but now all of a sudden he's ready to fight for the title? I say make him fight Penn for #1 contender status.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't mind what happens with him. I thought that he deserved the shot before Edgar anyway, and he already has a dominant win over him so I wouldn't mind seeing the rematch right now. If he gets Penn for number 1 contender thats cool too. But he is definitely in the top 3 or 4 right now.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I want to see bj vs edgar 2 (unless bj decides to go to 170 now). However if bj does not want to fight edgar again in an immediate rubber match, I think maynard should be the first test for the new champ. As the only person to beat him, and not by a fluke but by a 15minute wrestling domination he should be the first to get a crack. Maynard is also undefeated and on my fantasy fight league :D

But maynard would be horrible for the the ufc as a champ, but not to worry florian or diego (if he comes back down to 155) would probably beat maynard.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The LW division is filled up with a lot of wrestlers. The LW division might get boring for those that dont like the ground fighting.

I hope Maynard gets his shot at the belt.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to see bj vs edgar 2 (unless bj decides to go to 170 now). However if bj does not want to fight edgar again in an immediate rubber match, I think maynard should be the first test for the new champ. As the only person to beat him, and not by a fluke but by a 15minute wrestling domination he should be the first to get a crack. Maynard is also undefeated and on my fantasy fight league :D

But maynard would be horrible for the the ufc as a champ, but not to worry florian or diego (if he comes back down to 155) would probably beat maynard.
BJ said he doesnt wanna fight at 170 and he wants to fight Edgar again ASAP...might have to wait for Frankie to defend Dana said in the post fght presser....:thumbsup:

Where the leather straps X???:confused02:

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
IMO Edgar vs. Florian, & Penn vs. Maynard. Grays just not ready for it.
Not ready to fight a man he's already destroyed? :confused02:

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Edgar takes Maynard out this time - he has evolved way too much for him. I see this fight going much the same way as his fight with BJ, although look for Maynard to get tagged A LOT.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Edgar takes Maynard out this time - he has evolved way too much for him. I see this fight going much the same way as his fight with BJ, although look for Maynard to get tagged A LOT.
I don't. I see maynard shooting hard for the take down for 25minutes. If he gets it, he wins, if he doesn't he loses. Edgar is so much a better striker its a shame, but maynard was able to bully him the first time... Maybe he will be able to the second.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Joe Silva should text him back and tell him to start finishing fights first.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I want Maynard-BJ. Maynard kinda avoided taking the fight with Penn, saying he isn't quite ready, at the time when everybody was saying how BJ is untouchable at LW. But now he is ready to fight for the belt, because it's not BJ's, against a guy he beat once.
He should fight BJ right now. And then get the champion.

As for a title fight, i woul love to see Edgar-Florian. Sounds very very interesting.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts