Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever been watching fights with a friend/s, only to have them act bored out of there mind by a fight you thought was very entertaining? If so which ones?

I remember I showed both my brother and my nephew the Lyoto vs Shogun fight, and by the second round my brother was like "this fight is really boring" and my nephew was like "how long does this fight last, it doesn't go all 5 rounds does it?" Even though this fight was a technical masterpiece with two of the best strikers in mma, unless you are more than just a casual fan you probably can't truly appreciate the show these two men put on.

Another time my friend came over and I had Velasquez vs Nogueria on my cpu. He is a casual mma fan so I showed him the nasty ko of Nog and he loved it! Then he said "I heard Bader ko'd somebody I want to see that". So I turned the fight on and a few minutes into the first round he told me to just fast forward it to the ko! Last I tried to show him Stevenson vs Sotiropoulus telling him how it was an awesome fight. But one round in he tired of the grappling and clearly did not care to watch anymore, even though I thought that was a fast paced entertaining fight.

I just think it's ashame some people are like this, and I actually won't watch fights with friends that I know don't like it as much as me because they are there more to hangout than to watch the fights and they complain the whole way through. So I only watch with the people I know really enjoy the show.

·
The American Dream
586 Posts
Half the people on this forum are just like your friend.

Didn't you know that if it goes to decision or on the ground then the fight sucks?
Sonnen vs Marquardt disagrees.

PS: I know you were using sarcasm :thumb02:

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
There were definitely a few of them the other night.

I'd say a Wandy Pride fight, or Randy v Chuck 2.

Wait, sorry, I didn't read it properly.

Pretty much anything with a lot of highly technical BJJ rollling.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
towwffc... you are so right.
A lot of people call themselves MMA fans, but all they realy like in this sport are the knockouts.
I like knockouts too, but i rather enjoy a good technical fight, than seeing a fighter tag another one and drop him.
I think a lot of people appreciated Nelson-Struve more than Florian-Gomi. And for what? For a big right hand? Or..i think many people liked Duffe's 7 seconds KO more than GSP vs Fitch. That's insane. That fight was a clear example on how to do take down and control an opponent, how to pass the guard, how to transition, how to GnP. These are the fights that one could use them to learn a thing or two about MMA.
Another one that comes to my mind is Fitch-Paulo Thiago. I liked that fight too. Great ground game, both of them.
But at the end it all comes down to the fan.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i enjoyed Maia vs Jmac and im not even a BJJ guy. my friend almost fell asleep same fight.

i showed one friend kongo vs cain and the only parts he thought were good was when Cain got tagged. Im like what about the recovery and the TD and the control and GnP?? nah. thats all just an interlude til somebody gets tagged.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
towwffc... you are so right.
A lot of people call themselves MMA fans, but all they realy like in this sport are the knockouts.
I like knockouts too, but i rather enjoy a good technical fight, than seeing a fighter tag another one and drop him.
I think a lot of people appreciated Nelson-Struve more than Florian-Gomi. And for what? For a big right hand? Or..i think many people liked Duffe's 7 seconds KO more than GSP vs Fitch. That's insane. That fight was a clear example on how to do take down and control an opponent, how to pass the guard, how to transition, how to GnP. These are the fights that one could use them to learn a thing or two about MMA.
Another one that comes to my mind is Fitch-Paulo Thiago. I liked that fight too. Great ground game, both of them.
But at the end it all comes down to the fan.
Yeah another good example of this is Penn vs Sancez. I went to a friends and he had like 10 people there to watch the fights. All through the show people were talking and it was bothering me because I couldn't hear what was being said. During Fitch vs Pierce I was really into it and I enjoyed watching Fitch work so hard to grind out his win like always and nobody else was paying attention they were all talking. Except for one person who said that the fight was "gay".

Then when BJ vs Sanchez came on the whole room was full of mexicans so everybody was cheering for Diego even though nobody knew anything about him or BJ. They thought Diego was going to run through BJ and I thought it was funny because I knew better. Then during the fight everybody got silent as Diego got handled and I thought it was hysterical. lol

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
i enjoyed Maia vs Jmac and im not even a BJJ guy. my friend almost fell asleep same fight.

i showed one friend kongo vs cain and the only parts he thought were good was when Cain got tagged. Im like what about the recovery and the TD and the control and GnP?? nah. thats all just an interlude til somebody gets tagged.
True.
For these people i would recommand: open a youtube page and on search type: top/best knockouts . :) That would get them excited.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
wow, i seriously hope this isn't another backwards gsp thread lol.

ill bite, one of these fights is quinton jackson vs. dan henderson. joachim hansen vs. shinya aoki. also martin kampmann vs. drew mcfedries.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I thought damian mia vs jason mcdonald at UFC 87 was really good.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Machida VS Sokoudjou was a fight that will always stand out in my mind before Machida really got recognised as the champ that he is now, on a card stacked with great names at the time like Wandy vs Liddell and Hughes vs GSP, to me Machida VS Sokoudjou was fight of the nights, just world class BJJ by Machida in 100% control on the ground before winning by submission, I thought to myself then Machida will one day be Champ.

·
Got Fight?
511 Posts
My friends generally fall into 2 categories. The ones that enjoy a good grappling match and the ones that say "wake me up when there's a ko". Most recently I watched 110 with some friends and more than half of them walked around and basically ignored the Stevenson/Sotiropoulos fight. Doesn't bother me, I just make a note to not talk to them about MMA :thumbsup:

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
My friends generally fall into 2 categories. The ones that enjoy a good grappling match and the ones that say "wake me up when there's a ko". Most recently I watched 110 with some friends and more than half of them walked around and basically ignored the Stevenson/Sotiropoulos fight. Doesn't bother me, I just make a note to not talk to them about MMA :thumbsup:
If you were feeling patient, you could always turn it into an opportunity to educate. It amazes me how often I see a light turn on over people's heads when I say, "there's a lot going on that you can't always see, and a skillset that isn't immediately evident."

·
Got Fight?
511 Posts
If you were feeling patient, you could always turn it into an opportunity to educate. It amazes me how often I see a light turn on over people's heads when I say, "there's a lot going on that you can't always see, and a skillset that isn't immediately evident."
Very true, but too bad Ive had the same people over MANY times before and did my fair share of playing professor haha...I can explain that grappling is an art, but in the end most of the people just want to see someone asleep on the canvas :thumbsdown:

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Mma just isn't for everyone. I fall asleep if you put baseball, golf or nascar on the tube. My friends can watch those little cars go around and around all day and discuss every detail of every driver, owner and mechanic. To those same friends, Anderson silva vs fedor would be "just a fight". I spent a long time explaining to my father how special bj vs gsp was and how they were the best of the best. All he saw was a big guy tackle a little guy and beat him up.

all that said... I agree with the guy who called rampage/henderson. that was a 25 minute master piece that would put most of my friends to sleep.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Any Demian Maia fight outside of Marquardt as his ground game is just entirely too slick. George Sot.'s last fight against Joe Daddy was a ground work MASTERPIECE. Fitch vs. Diego. Hell, just about any Fitch fight. Lyoto vs anyone he didn't finish is entertaining as all hell to me and a lot of people seem to think he just runs (not anymore).

Just about any fight that goes to decision really. A lot of "UFC Fans" don't have the attention span to watch 15 minutes of fighting and just want to see someone get KO'd (as evident by the NJ crowd -.-)

EDIT: Chuck vs Jardine!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Couture vs Belfort 3. That was textbook Couture, clinch, work him hard, get the takedown and just methodically beat the will to live out of Belfort.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts