Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greg Jackson: Anderson Silva's UFC 112 performance was very entertaining

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/14/1422196/greg-jackson-anderson-silvas-ufc

by James Kimball on Apr 14, 2010 2:14 PM EDT

Props: The Fight Show with Mauro Ranallo

Quoteworthy:

"I actually really enjoyed the first part of the fight, with Anderson changing up his style, like he would do Machida, then he would kind of do the Diaz brothers' thing, then Muhammad Ali. I was actually very entertained with all the different styles that he was emulating as he was going after him. And then for the last half of the fight, I think he got so far ahead he played it smart, or he got tired. One way or the other, to me, it's not a disgrace at all. It was a fight and sometimes you look great and sometimes you have one with a little more grinding. But playing it smart or getting tired and not engaging because you're a little tired isn't a disgrace to me."

Apparently not everyone was disappointed with Anderson Silva's dance act, err, I mean middleweight title defense at UFC 112 this past weekend. In speaking with Mauro Ranallo, famed mixed martial arts trainer Greg Jackson actually stated that he was quite impressed with his performance. Jackson points to the fact that while Silva didn't always engage with Maia, he played it smart while switching up styles and avoiding damage. Many fans, if not most, who tuned into the spectacle that took place in Abu Dhabi left the fight feeling like the "Spider" put on a shameful performance and disrespected the sport. Greg however, says nothing Anderson did in the fight was a disgrace. So, are we buying what he's trying to sell here, or is the guy just playing it nice considering the fact that a Georges St. Pierre vs. Anderson Silva match up may soon be on the horizon? What say you, Maniacs?

·
Registered
154 Posts
i agree that the first half of the fight was both entertaining and impressive. however, as a champion, you don't "play it safe." he could have finished maia at any time, yet he didn't. that's what has everyone annoyed.

but again, i think he did what he did to send a message to dana that he needs to quit matching him up with guys who don't stand a chance. hopefully, we'll see the anderson we enjoy seeing next time around.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Like I said in another thread before this statement came out. Greg Jackson is in love with Anderson Silva. He has been an unstoppable enigma so it makes sense that the master of the gameplan is completely obsessed with him as a fighter. This doesn't have anything to do with GSP it has been like this for a long time.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Cool article, but when listing the impressions he forgot Gracie:

Actually posted this article earlier in the day on another existing forum thread, but it's all good.

That's the impression Silva was doing...haha. I was wondering who it was...lolz! It's like a tribute...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great article, couldn't agree more with Greg Jackson on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
although i agree the first 2 were very interesting, seeing the styles as greg mentioned, but the next few rounds anderson did nothing but run, i havent heard of that style before so it might be new.
maia needs more credit tbh, people keep saying anderson is pissed at fighting undeserving fighters. but these are the guys that have beaten opponents to climb the ladder to get a shot.
so how he see's these opponents as someone who doesnt deserve to be in there, because he is so superior, is baffling. small man syndrome comes to mind.
if theyre in the octogon, and they have credentials, and you believe your the greatest, then when defending the title, show you deserve to be there as well.
anderson didnt, and to say he was tired is a load of waffle. if he is such an elite "P4P" fighter 5 rounds shouldnt be hard, Especially, if like so many have stated previously on recent threads, Especially if he was untested. surely he should have been fit as a fiddle if the competition was so light.

my hope is that anderson beats sonnen, and vitor TBH, so he can then try that BS with Wanderlei and end up in hospital.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Agreed with Jackson on all points except one.

Silva disrespected his opponent with what he said in the ring and therefore disrespected the sport by breaking the rules. Maia said one thing about taking a leg that wasn't disrespectful at all and Silva decided to cry like a little girl about it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Silva disrespected his opponent with what he said in the ring and therefore disrespected the sport by breaking the rules

OoOoO who are you the meanie police? He called him a playboy, big deal. If your gonna hate on that you cant overlook Maia saying he is going to rip of one of his legs (phyical injury and much more illegal)

Personally I dont care about what either said, fights always talk trash and much worse has been said.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I am REALLY glad someone inside the MMA business said something like this. I think the whole Silva situation got blown out of proportion, its nice to hear something like this after so much negative talk about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
although i agree the first 2 were very interesting, seeing the styles as greg mentioned, but the next few rounds anderson did nothing but run, i havent heard of that style before so it might be new.
It's not new, it's just been a few years since we last saw Kalib Starnes in the UFC so you probably forgot.

Reactions: AdRath

·
Registered
77 Posts
OoOoO who are you the meanie police? He called him a playboy, big deal. If your gonna hate on that you cant overlook Maia saying he is going to rip of one of his legs (phyical injury and much more illegal)

Personally I dont care about what either said, fights always talk trash and much worse has been said.
lol yes. I am Captain Nice of the Meanie police. Just because we don't take Playboy to mean anything here, doesn't mean he wasn't being abusive. The rule says "Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area". Not using abusive language in a way that only North Americans find offensive or using abusive language prior to entering the ring. It would be the same thing if I was an MMA fighter and fought an african american in Japan and called him the N word in the ring.

That being said, the only thing they should have done was take a point or issue a warning.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
What I like about Greg Jackson is: He doesn't like Dana White telling the fans that a gameplan was garbage. Dana does it with GSP and others. And that offends Greg, rightfully so. Basically Greg feels the smart gameplan will win the fight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts