Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

GSP and BJ Penn - the evolution of Alex DeLarge

5K views 102 replies 37 participants last post by  coldcall420 
Man, GSP should have just snapped the damn arm so I didn't have to hear about how he doesn't finish fights.
It all has to do with GSP's status, I believe.

As a pound for pound fighter, "in the mix" for the best pound for pound fighter in the world right title, you would think he'd be able to, at the bare minimum, at least hurt a guy who is the equivalent of say, Joe Stevenson at LW. It's his status and ranking in the world of MMA that makes fans expect him to do great things.

If you had a guy with the same level of fighting as Dan Hardy fighting another pound for pound great in their respected divisons, the top pound for pound guys - Anderson, Fedor, BJ, Brock (he's the champion, so I put him in there), they would maul him, put him away, and it wouldn't be much of a task. I mean, Anderson put away Henderson in the second round, BJ put a beating on both Florian, Sanchez, and Sherk, and finished all 3 of them, Brock finished Mir and Randy, and dominated Mir bad, Fedor has finished all of his recent fights, mostly in the first round.

So, I believe the disappointment comes from people saying GSP is the pound for pound best, or wayyy up there, like #2, yet he doesn't finish a guy like Hardy, or even hurt him, and goes to a decision in 3 of his last 4. Not counting Penn, cause that is EXACTLY the GSP that should have showed up in his other fights, but he doesn't show up, and BJ is a LW and gassed in the second, so it's not shocking GSP could maul him, even if he wasn't trying to hurt Penn (he was, great show by GSP).

You can say these guys are tough to finish, but are they harder to finish than Henderson? Franklin? Sherk? Florian? Sanchez? Cause all these guys were finished by the champions and pound for pound greats in their respected divisons, most of them took some serious beatings, and gave little back.

So, it's all about GSP's ranking as a pound for pound great, and what we have seen GSP do in the past, that makes fans upset now when we watch him go to so many decisons/not finish, and in this case, he didn't even hurt Dan or punish him, all he did was pass his guard and change positions. A few sub attempts yes, but is "a few sub attempts" against a lower level guy like Hardy, showing off GSP's fighting ability?

It's simply very frustrating to see GSP fight like this as a GSP fan, when you know he is capable of so much more.

Exactly, except ive always wanted to lay you down by the fire in a smooth silk dress and caress your body gently with my hands as I enjoy Bj's fights a lot more these days. I like his humbleness and his willing to bang or go to the ground but he never humps people. He's always advancing my position on you as I begin to kiss your neck softly and whisper sweet nothings in your ear that sound like bjs ability to end the fight anywhere and his willingness to go anywhere in the fight.
I love you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.