Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

MONTREAL – Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title-holder Georges St-Pierre and the winner of Saturday's UFC 113 co-headliner between Josh Koscheck and Paul Daley will serve as coaches on the upcoming 12th season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

UFC president Dana White today announced the long-rumored plans prior to the UFC 113 weigh-ins at Montreal's Bell Center.

The Spike TV reality series begins production in a few weeks and debuts in September. The coaches meet in a season-ending title fight, likely in December.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported the possibility of the coaching stints in March when White dropped hints about the implications of the Koscheck-Daley fight.

The official announcement comes one day after White confirmed that the Koscheck-Daley winner earns a title shot with St-Pierre, who recently made his fourth consecutive title defense with a lopsided unanimous-decision win over Dan Hardy.

"TUF 12" is a lightweights-only season of the long-running reality show that will be taped in Las Vegas.

St-Pierre (20-2 MMA, 14-2 UFC) was a guest instructor on a special "comeback" fourth season of the show that featured former UFC fighters. Koscheck (14-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) found his way to the UFC via the groundbreaking first season of the show. Daley (23-8-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC), meanwhile, has no past "TUF" ties.

White thinks either contender has a shot to dethrone the champ.

"Every time this kid fights, he gets better and better," White said of Koscheck, who lost a decision to St-Pierre in 2007 soon after the French-Canadian lost his belt. "He started off as a wrestler; he has become a mixed martial artist. Koscheck actually has one of the most exciting highlight reels in the UFC. He is a kid that goes for the finish, whether it's submission, punches, kicks, whatever. He goes for it. I love that about Koscheck."

And Daley, a well-traveled vet who's posted vicious UFC knockouts of Martin Kampmann and Dustin Hazelett, could continue riding the momentum.

"Paul Daley burst on the scene and has been knocking everybody out," White said. "He's got his opportunity now to take out Josh Koscheck."

For the latest on "The Ultimate Fighter 12" and UFC 113, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19042/geo...y-winner-to-coach-the-ultimate-fighter-12.mma

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd really like to see Koscheck and GSP as coaches, but am I the only who doesn't see Daley as that good of a coach? Granted I only know him from the UFC.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Man I want Daley to win so badly! He can bring some of that London cru 'ardness, BRRRRRRAPPP!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I've said it before but I'll say it again; I hate TUF now. MMA has expanded enough that good prospects get picked up anyway, they don't need TUF so we get second tier guys now. Add in the fact that it ties up the coaches for an unreasonable amount of time (and GSP already doesn't fight often enough) and I absolutely freaking loathe this show. 30 minutes of commercials, 20 minutes of in the house retardation and 10 minutes of watchable material (i.e. the fight).

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
MEHHH. Neither deserve a shot at GSP, neither stand a hope in hell of beating him and bar some interesting trash-talk if Daley wins it'll be a borefest. Not interested in this at all. GSP vs the winner of Fitch/Alves makes WAY more sense, at least they've been ripping through the division. Daley's only had 2 fights in the UFC, and Koscheck's never beaten a genuine top contender, and is only 3-2 in his last 5.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
You'd be a bit pissed if you got Daley as your coach and the other team had GSP! Daley seems like he'd make the show amusing but he'd have to pack out his coaching team cos i can't see his coaching extending to anything other than "Get in there and Knock him out bruv!"

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Putting GSP on TUF is such a waste. They should be using TUF to promote some of their less known fighters. They should put Shields on there vs the winner of Kos/Daley and let GSP either fight the winner of Alves/Fitch or a fight at MW vs anyone not named Silva, Sonnen, or Belfort.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
UGH! TUF isnt what it first was, I watched 1-2 episodes of this current season and stopped. Why does the UFC continue to put belts on hold for TUF? and make top fighters sit out basically a year.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
UGH! TUF isnt what it first was, I watched 1-2 episodes of this current season and stopped. Why does the UFC continue to put belts on hold for TUF? and make top fighters sit out basically a year.
Well they don't really need to put a belt on hold, GSP could fight before TUF starts filming, although its unlikely cause his fights are always quite far apart anyway...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts