Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an overweight BJ's corner quitting doesnt count.

he dropped fitch a few times, still couldnt finish him. made an excuse and called him a "terminator"
he was too scared to stand with alves, and was a human blanket for 5 rounds
made an excuse and apologized for tearing his groin
he was too scared to stand with hardy, and was a human blanket for 5 rounds
made an excuse and apologized for not sumbitting hardy

how is this guy considered the best WW again?

·
Registered
211 Posts

he dropped fitch a few times, still couldnt finish him. made an excuse and called him a "terminator"

Hes the best WW because he is winning. He isnt even close to the most exciting WW though. I find GSP to be very boring to watch. People boo Fitch, and cheer for GSP. It makes no sense, they are the same fighter basically.

Hughes imo was the best WW champ ever though. Just because he finished basically every1 in his time. The only people GSP finish are 155'ers. GSP could have the worst standup in the UFC if he wanted, and he would still be as dominant as he is now. His whole game is wrestling. And its boring.

You gotta respect a guy like BJ more. He can finish fights on the feet, on the ground. The guy moves up in weight to challenge himself, win or lose. There is nothing wrong with GSP not wanting to move up in weight, but he just wants to win. He doesnt want to challenge himself at a higher weight. He wants to keep laying on people at 170.

BJ is a true fighter. GSP is a true competitor.

I actually rank BJ higher than GSP in the p4p rankings.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Yeah, I'm struggling to work out how someone with solid, technical striking, the best wrestling in MMA, seriously good Jiu-jitsu, incredible guard passing and brilliant ground control is the best WW in the world. It's not like he's beaten anyone either. His only notable wins are Matt Hughes (twice), BJ Penn (twice), Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy, Matt Serra (avenging his loss), Sean Sherk, Jason Miller, Frank Trigg and Karo Parisyan. That it? The dude sucks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
GSP isn't the best MMA fighter @ 170, he's the best wrestler(in an MMA bout) His style works best, making him the best WW sadly but I wouldn't put him on the P4P list as he is one dimensional and lack luster as of late.

·
Senior Member.
324 Posts
Yeah, I'm struggling to work out how someone with solid, technical striking, the best wrestling in MMA, seriously good Jiu-jitsu, incredible guard passing and brilliant ground control is the best WW in the world. It's not like he's beaten anyone either. His only notable wins are Matt Hughes (twice), BJ Penn (twice), Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy, Matt Serra (avenging his loss), Sean Sherk, Jason Miller, Frank Trigg and Karo Parisyan. That it? The dude sucks.
Perfect answer to this thread.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm 100% sure that GSP would have beat Hardy standing up. The punchers chance was minimal but it was. There wasn't a submitters chance on the ground, therefore GSP took that route.
Stop saying he's one-dimensional, the guy is one of the most well-rounded fighters ever.

·
Registered
211 Posts
He beat BJ because of wrestling twice. He got fkd up in the 1st fight and wrestled his way to a decision. Wrestled Hardy, Fitch, Koshceck, Serra, Alves. And his Jits cant be that good if he had 25 mins to submit Hardy and couldnt. He may be well rounded. And the thing he WE KNOW HE IS. To bad he doesnt show it.

·
Registered
61 Posts

well one reason he is the champ of the ww and like his style or not no one has an answer for his take downs. Rank him on the bottom of the ww if you want , it still dont change anything

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
He beat BJ because of wrestling twice. He got fkd up in the 1st fight and wrestled his way to a decision. Wrestled Hardy, Fitch, Koshceck, Serra, Alves. And his Jits cant be that good if he had 25 mins to submit Hardy and couldnt. He may be well rounded. And the thing he WE KNOW HE IS. To bad he doesnt show it.
Does possessing wrestling as impressive as GSP's, controlling top quality opponents with consummate ease and negating the strongest facets of their games not display incredible skill? I seriously don't understand why people hate on wrestlers like GSP and Fitch; what they're doing in the WW division is hugely impressive, yet because it's wrestling they're using it's dismissed as boring. Find it quite frustrating personally, as I find their fights entertaining and find the dominance of the skill-set fascinating.

Reactions: towwffc

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
He's unbeatable and unwatchable. I don't blame him for what he does but this shit is getting redundant. It's hard to get excited for his fights, though that's partly due to the fact that no one can counter him at all. I'd like to see him move up to MW where I think there are some guys who would have a better chance of making him pay for not finishing.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you find one of the sport's best fighters fights unwatchable, what does it say about your sympathy towards the sport itself?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
GSP isn't the best MMA fighter @ 170, he's the best wrestler(in an MMA bout) His style works best, making him the best WW sadly but I wouldn't put him on the P4P list as he is one dimensional and lack luster as of late.
A better mma fighter would...

Stop his takedowns.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does possessing wrestling as impressive as GSP's, controlling top quality opponents with consummate ease and negating the strongest facets of their games not display incredible skill? I seriously don't understand why people hate on wrestlers like GSP and Fitch; what they're doing in the WW division is hugely impressive, yet because it's wrestling they're using it's dismissed as boring. Find it quite frustrating personally, as I find their fights entertaining and find the dominance of the skill-set fascinating.
I agree here for the most part, what's frustrating with GSP is the dominant positions he gets fighters in but never does any true damage.He is the weakest minded fighter in the whole UFC roster. If only you could put Chael Sonnen's mind in George, that truly would be a scary man.Their's definate truth in GSP not being a tough man, and anyone thinking P4P 1 fighter in thr world are insane, including GSP himself, who keeps going on about his legacy. Ive seen more game in the women in Strikeforce.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
he finished BJ Penn. One of the greatest fighters of all time, since he won the belt.

you can call it w/e u want. when a guy quits between rounds it is WORSE to me then quitting via tap or sub.

BJ just had to open his mouth and the doctor wouldnt have stopped he, he knew very well by acting like he didnt know what the doc was asking, the fight would be stopped.

i rather be subbed or KO'd then quit between rounds. esp after talking loads of nonsense calling the other guy a quitter with no heart....

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
No, a better wrestler would stop his takedowns.
dont nessicarily need to be a pure wrestler to stop takedowns.

i think more ppl should practice Sumo. Works so good for Machida and ive never seen anybody come close to taking him down.

·
Administrator
15,545 Posts
GSP is starting fail in the "exciting" department.

I've defended his wrestling for a long time, but seriously when he couldn't finish Hardy, it sort of.. put me off, a lot. GSP is the best WW in the world, can beat anyone at WW, but not in any sort of exciting way. He fights to win, not finish, thus we almost always see 5 rounds of:

Round starts
Takedown
Some GNP/guard passes
Round ends.

For 5 whole rounds.

Greatest? No doubt in my mind or anyones mind. Most exciting/fun to watch? Not in a million years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BJ Penn is thought as the best p4p fighter and yet he suffered his worst beat down ever from GSP. If BJ would have gone into the 5th round he would have been knocked out and he knew it.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts