Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday, October 24th, 2006 - Yes, finally the big day has arrived! I have impatiently waited since October 22, 2004 the chance to finally avenge my loss to Matt Hughes. It is now signed and will be on Novemver 18th in Sacramento, California. I more than ever desire to become UFC world champion and I will really use this opportunity to realise my dream in a couple of weeks, even though I’m only 25 years old.

Since my defeat against the champ, I have won 5 straight victories (Strasser, Miller, Trigg, Sherk and Penn) and I really believe that my maturity and skills are ready for this ultimate match-up. Meanwhile, Hughes has won 4 fights in a row and the timimg is excellent for this fight between us.

During his fight against B.J. Penn in September, Hughes did not impress me and during the interview in the octagon after the fight he said something to me since I was next to the ring. I thought he had insulted me and that is why I went and told in front of millions of fans that he had not impressed me. I realize that my commentswere not too respectful and are in fact nt in my personality, but Hughues is always commenting on me, specially during the reality show “Ultimate Fighter 4″. So, lets say that it sparked something! I apologized after, but it will not change anything about my attitude towards him when the bell rings on November 18th (Editors note: there are no bell in the UFC, just a metaphor I guess).

After my groin injury in September, I have taken some rest and then I stared my real training camp for Matt Hughes. I train with a lot of intensity and probably am in the best shape of my career. I continue to spend one week per month in New York with Renzo Gracie’s Academy, more specifically with my brasilian jiu-jitsu mentor, John Danaher. Danaher will be one of my corner men for the fight against Hughes (he was also there during the BJ Penn fight). My training in boxing and kick-boxing is also excellent and I always work under Victor Vargotski (kickboxing) and Jean-Pierre Deneault (Boxe). As far as wrestling goes, I am still with the national team and M. Victor Zibberman. And, every Friday, we get together in Victoriaville with other professional fighters of the TKO Group (Patrick Côté, Jonathan Goulet and company) and its a solid training where we mix all styles, its a real ultimate training.

During the Tito Ortiz-Ken Shamrock fight in October in Fort Lauderdale, my manager Stéphane Patry introduced me to Greg Jackson. Stéphane believes that Jackson is the best trainer in the world for our sport right now and he manages a fantastic team which includes Rashad Evans, Nathan Marquardt, Diego Sanchez, Damacio Page to name just a few. I was very impressed by M. Jackson and even though I am not on their team, I will work with them in the coming months. Actually, Nathan Marquardt and Rashad Evans will be in Montreal in the next couple of weeks to help me prepare for my fight against Hughes. (Editors note: Evans is a fantastic wrestler, very smart for GSP).

As for the rest, all is going well. I am in great shape and happiness surrounds me. The media around here, are starting to cover our sport more and more and I was very touched by the welcome that people gave me at the Bell Centre during a gala organised by Stéphane et le Groupe TKO. It was very special. It was an exceptional night for our sport in Canada and I really hope to one day be able to defend my title here in Montreal.

Talking about medias, I will be on the very popular tv show “Tout le Monde en Parle” (Everyone talks about it)next November 12th and I will do all I can to give a great impression of our sport to people that will hear about it for the first time.

Thank you again for your support and encouragement, I will give everything I have in my body and my heart to come back to Quebec with theUFC World Title for 170lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Go Georges St. Pierre! Man, he's so awesome. He's very humble and calm. UFC 65: Bad Intentions St. Pierre vs Hughes 2 is going to be a great main event. Hope GSP wins and walks away the new UFC Weltwerweight champion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cabby

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
cabby said:
Tuesday, October 24th, 2006 - Yes, finally the big day has arrived! I have impatiently waited since October 22, 2004 the chance to finally avenge my loss to Matt Hughes. It is now signed and will be on Novemver 18th in Sacramento, California. I more than ever desire to become UFC world champion and I will really use this opportunity to realise my dream in a couple of weeks, even though I’m only 25 years old.

Since my defeat against the champ, I have won 5 straight victories (Strasser, Miller, Trigg, Sherk and Penn) and I really believe that my maturity and skills are ready for this ultimate match-up. Meanwhile, Hughes has won 4 fights in a row and the timimg is excellent for this fight between us.

During his fight against B.J. Penn in September, Hughes did not impress me and during the interview in the octagon after the fight he said something to me since I was next to the ring. I thought he had insulted me and that is why I went and told in front of millions of fans that he had not impressed me. I realize that my commentswere not too respectful and are in fact nt in my personality, but Hughues is always commenting on me, specially during the reality show “Ultimate Fighter 4″. So, lets say that it sparked something! I apologized after, but it will not change anything about my attitude towards him when the bell rings on November 18th (Editors note: there are no bell in the UFC, just a metaphor I guess).

After my groin injury in September, I have taken some rest and then I stared my real training camp for Matt Hughes. I train with a lot of intensity and probably am in the best shape of my career. I continue to spend one week per month in New York with Renzo Gracie’s Academy, more specifically with my brasilian jiu-jitsu mentor, John Danaher. Danaher will be one of my corner men for the fight against Hughes (he was also there during the BJ Penn fight). My training in boxing and kick-boxing is also excellent and I always work under Victor Vargotski (kickboxing) and Jean-Pierre Deneault (Boxe). As far as wrestling goes, I am still with the national team and M. Victor Zibberman. And, every Friday, we get together in Victoriaville with other professional fighters of the TKO Group (Patrick Côté, Jonathan Goulet and company) and its a solid training where we mix all styles, its a real ultimate training.

During the Tito Ortiz-Ken Shamrock fight in October in Fort Lauderdale, my manager Stéphane Patry introduced me to Greg Jackson. Stéphane believes that Jackson is the best trainer in the world for our sport right now and he manages a fantastic team which includes Rashad Evans, Nathan Marquardt, Diego Sanchez, Damacio Page to name just a few. I was very impressed by M. Jackson and even though I am not on their team, I will work with them in the coming months. Actually, Nathan Marquardt and Rashad Evans will be in Montreal in the next couple of weeks to help me prepare for my fight against Hughes. (Editors note: Evans is a fantastic wrestler, very smart for GSP).

As for the rest, all is going well. I am in great shape and happiness surrounds me. The media around here, are starting to cover our sport more and more and I was very touched by the welcome that people gave me at the Bell Centre during a gala organised by Stéphane et le Groupe TKO. It was very special. It was an exceptional night for our sport in Canada and I really hope to one day be able to defend my title here in Montreal.

Talking about medias, I will be on the very popular tv show “Tout le Monde en Parle” (Everyone talks about it)next November 12th and I will do all I can to give a great impression of our sport to people that will hear about it for the first time.

Thank you again for your support and encouragement, I will give everything I have in my body and my heart to come back to Quebec with theUFC World Title for 170lbs.
Man, that is some smart training ... as long as Geroges' mind holds up and he's not intimidated by Hughes, I really think he'll win
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For sure. He has all the tools, very well rounded and I mean very. The only thing that can **** him up is his own thinking and mindset. If he is strong mentally that night he WILL win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Not a gsp hater but the thought of a french "frog" fighter winning the title in the UFC kind've bugs me a bit. Jeez that accent alone in interviews is enough to send me running out of the room....

I'm a Football - NY Giant and Hockey - NY Islander Fan - Die hard, if they lose I'm not real happy, as to the UFC I don't have a favorite like the other 2 so I won't be pissed if gsp wins, I really enjoy the fights, but again - a UFC Champ frenchman???? Please No!!!!!!

ST
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
ShockeyTime said:
Not a gsp hater but the thought of a french "frog" fighter winning the title in the UFC kind've bugs me a bit. Jeez that accent alone in interviews is enough to send me running out of the room....
I'm a Football - NY Giant and Hockey - NY Islander Fan - Die hard, if they lose I'm not real happy, as to the UFC I don't have a favorite like the other 2 so I won't be pissed if gsp wins, I really enjoy the fights, but again - a UFC Champ frenchman???? Please No!!!!!!
Ouch dude! Wow, that was harsh - LOL :cheeky4:

Look, don't think of it as a French Canadien winning - think about it as a well rounded, good, humble, deserving fighter winning the belt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
ShockeyTime said:
Not a gsp hater but the thought of a french "frog" fighter winning the title in the UFC kind've bugs me a bit. Jeez that accent alone in interviews is enough to send me running out of the room....

I'm a Football - NY Giant and Hockey - NY Islander Fan - Die hard, if they lose I'm not real happy, as to the UFC I don't have a favorite like the other 2 so I won't be pissed if gsp wins, I really enjoy the fights, but again - a UFC Champ frenchman???? Please No!!!!!!

ST
Wow, you're a douche. I think we all know why :thumbsdown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
ShockeyTime said:
Not a gsp hater but the thought of a french "frog" fighter winning the title in the UFC kind've bugs me a bit. Jeez that accent alone in interviews is enough to send me running out of the room....

I'm a Football - NY Giant and Hockey - NY Islander Fan - Die hard, if they lose I'm not real happy, as to the UFC I don't have a favorite like the other 2 so I won't be pissed if gsp wins, I really enjoy the fights, but again - a UFC Champ frenchman???? Please No!!!!!!

ST
he's canadian asshole get it straight he isnt bringing the title back to paris he's bringing it back to quebec which is in canada
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Now you're both calling me names when I never insulted either of you?? Gimme a break, and BTW do You speak for EVERYONE when you say, We all know why??, We????? I'm sure others disagree with you as you 2 name callers disagreed with me..

BTW Montreal, <Quebec>, Canada IS what he gsp is!!!!!! Last time I Looked, that FRENCH province was still looking to seperate from canada!!!!!

So spare me the name calling and try being civil in your posts..

ST
 

·
attention whore
Joined
·
14,445 Posts
Yea, but who really cares? I mean, do pre & post fight comments mean THAT much? It's not like GSP is really boring or anything. He'd make a fine champion. GSP doesn't really give a bad promo.

The fans dig Liddell, and he hardly ever talks.

Now, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes win, and then retire with the belt. I'd like GSP to win, because it opens up the door for so many matches. If Hughes wins, then it's the TUF 4 winner, Diego Sanchez, and possibly a Penn rubber match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
ShockeyTime said:
Now you're both calling me names when I never insulted either of you?? Gimme a break, and BTW do You speak for EVERYONE when you say, We all know why??, We????? I'm sure others disagree with you as you 2 name callers disagreed with me..

BTW Montreal, <Quebec>, Canada IS what he gsp is!!!!!! Last time I Looked, that FRENCH province was still looking to seperate from canada!!!!!

So spare me the name calling and try being civil in your posts..
ST
First off, we all know why = we all know you are an ignorant american that thinks America is the be all end all of this planet...when the rest of the world knows better.

GSP will win! Hughes will get his ass handed to him finally...the cocky sob that he is.

NaChOmAmA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Man i'd hate to be a neighbour to america cause most of you think your country is miles above any other country, what the dude on the first page said is ****ing ridiculous. So you would never be a friend to someone who has an accent?pfft. Canada is a great country and their people are some of the nicest in the world and GSP is one of them regardless of his accent and what ever the hell else, he WILL be a great champion. :cheeky4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
ShockeyTime said:
Now you're both calling me names when I never insulted either of you?? Gimme a break, and BTW do You speak for EVERYONE when you say, We all know why??, We????? I'm sure others disagree with you as you 2 name callers disagreed with me..

BTW Montreal, <Quebec>, Canada IS what he gsp is!!!!!! Last time I Looked, that FRENCH province was still looking to seperate from canada!!!!!

So spare me the name calling and try being civil in your posts..

ST
Give me a break. You don't come out and call Canadians "frogs" and then get insulted when people fire back at you. French-Canadian or not, we're all Canadians. Learn to differentiate between our people and France's, thanks a lot. I hope Matt Hughes loses now, just so every person who thinks like you eats it.

America is hardly the top spot for martial arts. So be prepared for frogs, commies, Brazilians, and all other kinds of fighters to come take "good ole white, English American's" belts. The days of the Hughes, Franklin, Sylvia dynasty are slowly winding down (ie. Silva - Franklin). The hell do you care if someone speaks with a French accent or not?
 

·
Baddest Man Alive
Joined
·
671 Posts
I am a proud flag waving American and I think it'd be a safe bet to say all patriotic americans enjoy seeing other American's being successful in any venture be it MMA, the Olympics or anything else competitive. I hope Matt Hughes wins, not only because he's an American but because he is a great fighter, but if GSP wins, I think he'd make a great champion especially as how the UFC plans on extending out to the UK and Canada next year.


Please excuse the lengthy run on scentence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
ShockeyTime said:
Now you're both calling me names when I never insulted either of you?? Gimme a break, and BTW do You speak for EVERYONE when you say, We all know why??, We????? I'm sure others disagree with you as you 2 name callers disagreed with me..

BTW Montreal, <Quebec>, Canada IS what he gsp is!!!!!! Last time I Looked, that FRENCH province was still looking to seperate from canada!!!!!

So spare me the name calling and try being civil in your posts..

ST
If you want people to be civil don't insult GSP in a thread about him you idiot.....That is just ignorant bro......I met him before and his accent has othing to do with his fighting......are you going to go insult Anderson Silva because he can't even speak english but he still deserves the belt because he knocked the crap out of franklin.

Keep your comments to yourself next time because dont expect anybody to agree with you on this. I dont think the brain was functioning to well when you posted that plus this is an mma forum not hockey. GO LEAFS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
The MuscleShark said:
......I met him before and his accent has nothing to do with his fighting......are you going to go insult Anderson Silva because he can't even speak english but he still deserves the belt because he knocked the crap out of franklin.
Thank you - excellent point - well said! :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top