Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck will first collide as coaches on the "Ultimate Fighter" season 12, and then the two will face off for the UFC welterweight championship on December 11 at UFC 123.

Koscheck announced the date of the fight via his Twitter account late Tuesday night.

"Can't wait until TUF 12 airs in September, and oh yeah did you guys know, that I am going to be the next welterweight champion come December 11th," Koscheck twittered.

The date for the fight makes sense because of the TUF 12 finale show currently rumored to take place on December 4 in Las Vegas, with St. Pierre and Koscheck squaring off in the main event of a pay-per-view show the following weekend.

The last piece of the puzzle for the December 11 show is the venue that it will take place at.

One city that seems marked off the map is Koscheck's hometown of Pittsburgh. The Edinboro graduate had lobbied for his hometown to get the title fight, but conflicting dates seem to have squashed that idea for now.

The new Consol Energy Center is set to open in Pittsburgh this fall, hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team, as well as other concerts and sporting events in the area.

On December 11, the Consol Energy Center is set to host a NCAA double header for the SEC vs. Big East basketball tournament, with Rutgers playing Auburn, and Pittsburgh taking on Tennessee. Both games are set to be nationally televised on ESPN and ESPN 2, which virtually eliminates the arena from hosting a UFC event the same day.

With Pittsburgh seemingly out of the running, the UFC may hold a second event in December in Las Vegas, but there's been no confirmation at this time on a venue. MMAWeekly will have more information on the event as it becomes available.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12094&zoneid=2

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cool. I see a signature GSP domination via 5 rounds of TD ****.
I don't think so. Even though I'm a koscheck fan, I don't predict a victory from him. However, I also don't think he's going to let that happen again. I think he knows deep down he can't out wrestle GSP to a victory. Koscheck will do much better this time around protecting the takedown.

I hope it's not, but this could be a pretty boring stand up if that happens. I think Koscheck is either gonna rock GSP early and win via TKO, or GSP will grind out a decisive UD, but not in embarrassing style like his past couple fights.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I don't think so. Even though I'm a koscheck fan, I don't predict a victory from him. However, I also don't think he's going to let that happen again. I think he knows deep down he can't out wrestle GSP to a victory. Koscheck will do much better this time around protecting the takedown.

I hope it's not, but this could be a pretty boring stand up if that happens. I think Koscheck is either gonna rock GSP early and win via TKO, or GSP will grind out a decisive UD, but not in embarrassing style like his past couple fights.
Fair analysis :thumbsup:

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I definitely have GSP wrestling. I think that he is an all around better fighter than Koscheck. GSP is the better wrestler and the better grappler. I also believe that GSP's striking is better. It is much more fluid and technical and way more versatile than Koscheck's. Koscheck has the edge in the power department, but I don't think he will TKO GSP.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
GSP by whatever he wants.
But i hope he will show us some more striking, although Kos has improved his striking, i don't think it's near that of GSP's. Kos has power, but other than that he is predictible.
Wrestling and BJJ i give GSP the advantage, and now that he is even more powerful than in his last fight i can see him dominating on the ground also.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
One thing is for sure though... Between stuff going down on TUF12 and Koscheck talking crap - people are gonna be bursting at the seams with excitement once this PPV rolls around :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
This could be a slightly better fight than expected. I don't doubt for a second that Kos completely neglected wrestling in favour of standup only training. There is no way he has forgotten that domination by gsp. As a top level collegiate wrestler, he likely took that loss horribly. I won't be surprised if gsp expects him to try to keep the fight standing and kos goes to settle the score on the ground. Psychologically it makes sense (kos wants to validate his best skill set) and strategically it does (shoot when gsp is expecting the opposite). We will see...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man I would hate to see a guy like Koschek be a champion, let alone beat George. Any thing can happen. For the people that are now getting interested in MMA and the UFC what kind of an example is this guy but on the other hand look at Brock, he is like some big super hero to some of the kids.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
GSP will take him down for the first three rounds in the beginning then outstrike him in the 4th and 5th once Josh is tired out. It's been forever since we've seen GSP tko anybody. He's more than capable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Man I would hate to see a guy like Koschek be a champion, let alone beat George. Any thing can happen. For the people that are now getting interested in MMA and the UFC what kind of an example is this guy but on the other hand look at Brock, he is like some big super hero to some of the kids.
Koscheck really isn't as bad as a lot of people think. He can be annoying and sometimes seems like a tool, but there's much worse people out there. And a "heel" as champion isn't a bad thing at all.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
As much as I like the idea of GSP cleaning out this division AGAIN.......

I'd like to see Kos win as a shake up in MMA is always a good thing.

I dont see that happening though...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't really see it happening either. I do think Josh has the best chance in the division to beat GSP though, without a doubt. GSP has phenominal wrestling, but Josh has fought him so he knows to expect the best wrestler he's ever faced. Josh is no slouch when it comes to wrestling so I expect him to come prepared. I see it going one of 2 ways A) Josh wants to prove a point and shows that his wrestling is indeed better/able to match GSP. The ground game I see as relatively even (maybe favoring GSP, maybe), so it's really just going to come down to a battle of attrition. Who's got the better cardio and who wants it more. OR B) Josh will use his also incredible wrestling to counter GSP's and turn it into a striking match. I see as GSP as the more techincal striker without a doubt, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the better striker. That being said, I think GSP has the edge standing. But I think that Josh is going to be willing to take that chance with the stand up because he has a very good chance of winning while the fight is on it's feet as well. GSP has good striking, but he's no A. Silva. Aside from GSP's wrestling, nothing is really that great. His ability to blend everything together and leave you with absolutely no idea of what he's going to do next, is however, amazing. So we'll see, if I were to bet it would definitely be on GSP. I see Josh putting up a good fight though.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Ooh, having a date confirmed gets me excited. I absolutely love watching GSP fight. I realize the UD's can get frustrating if you want it to be a competitive fight, but regardless he's just so classy, and I get incredibly hyped to see him step into that octagon. Especially in his pyjamas as Hardy calls them :p

As far as the fight goes, for people suggesting that Kos go for the takedowns and wrestle GSP as he may be expecting Josh to stand with him and defend takedowns himself...I don't know. I think someone at GSP's elite level would expect EVERYTHING. If he tries to take me down, I'm ready for that, if he wants to stand and bang, I will try to take him down, but failing that I can also box.

I just expect GSP to be in phenomenal shape - physically and mentally.

I shouldn't discount Kos at all though, the idea of a new champion is a bit intriguing, but I don't expect it. I am interested to see if Kos can land a big shot and/or takedown in this fight.

Despite being a massive GSP supporter I would enjoy a competitive match versus a clinical display of UD wrestling.

A GSP KO/TKO would make me the happiest of all; however.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't really see it happening either. I do think Josh has the best chance in the division to beat GSP though, without a doubt. GSP has phenominal wrestling, but Josh has fought him so he knows to expect the best wrestler he's ever faced. Josh is no slouch when it comes to wrestling so I expect him to come prepared. I see it going one of 2 ways A) Josh wants to prove a point and shows that his wrestling is indeed better/able to match GSP. The ground game I see as relatively even (maybe favoring GSP, maybe), so it's really just going to come down to a battle of attrition. Who's got the better cardio and who wants it more. OR B) Josh will use his also incredible wrestling to counter GSP's and turn it into a striking match. I see as GSP as the more techincal striker without a doubt, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the better striker. That being said, I think GSP has the edge standing. But I think that Josh is going to be willing to take that chance with the stand up because he has a very good chance of winning while the fight is on it's feet as well. GSP has good striking, but he's no A. Silva. Aside from GSP's wrestling, nothing is really that great. His ability to blend everything together and leave you with absolutely no idea of what he's going to do next, is however, amazing. So we'll see, if I were to bet it would definitely be on GSP. I see Josh putting up a good fight though.

Although I do agree with the fact that Josh is going to be a much tougher fight than alot of GSP's past opponents, I still don't think Josh's wresling has improved that much since their last confrontation. His striking yes, but I still think GSP will **** him on the ground. Josh's best chance at beating him is to keep it on the feet. He will get taken down, he just has to be better prepared on getting back up.

I see it as either a Josh TKO from strikes, or GSP by sub/UD, maybe even strikes from the ground. I just don't think Josh's wrestling has improved that drastically from their last go at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.