Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there anybody that doesnt wanna hang on GSPs nuts?? hehe.

Obama, better make that call, you still got a chance.

Georges St. Pierre: from the octagon to Parliament Hill
May 4, 2010 2:46 PM | Comments8Recommend11
By Karina Roman

Parliament Hill has welcomed world leaders, royalty and other distinguished and famous people to its hallowed halls and chambers. And in some cases (Barack Obama, the Queen), there is quite a turnout to see said celebrity.

But it's not every day the Commonwealth Room has an autograph table set up for all the giddy MPs, cabinet ministers and staffers who are crowding in to get a glimpse of Sportsnet's athlete of the year (two years in a row, might I add).

That's right, the hubbub on the hill today was not only about maternal health and the Jaffer/Guergis affair. UFC (that's Ultimate Fighting Championship for those not in the know) champ (and Quebec native) Georges St. Pierre was here.

Heritage Minister James Moore invited him (despite St. Pierre being a Habs fan). Moore told me that he has extended an invitation to GSP (as he is known to his fans) several times before but only now has a "coincidence of schedules" allowed him to come. Moore is clearly a fan, (gushing slightly) that GSP is "a remarkable Canadian athlete, he's a great champion and he's a great role model for kids." GSP spoke to kids out front Parliament Hill this morning, telling them how important discipline is. (He might be somewhat less of a role model for kids if they are watching him bash in an opponent's head on television, but I digress...)

Moore also touted the event as truly bipartisan. And it was. Many Conservative MPs and cabinet ministers came, of course (Stockwell Day, Pierre Poilievre, Rob Nicholson, Peter Mackay and Vic Toews), but also the Speaker Peter Milliken (perhaps soliciting tips from GSP on how to keep MPs in line during the bloodsport known as question period), Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe and Liberal MP Denis Coderre jumped the queue to get autographs, t-shirts and a quick photo with the star. (Full disclosure: I too got an autographed picture for a family member who is a fan).

But while parliamentarians were there because they are admirers, GSP had a real goal: to show that the UFC is not a fringe sport; that it's legitimate. He told me as much. If the audience for the sport includes those suits who craft the country's laws (in particular the justice minister and the public safety ministerl!), then it shouldn't be an illegal sport (despite all the wrestling, kicking, punching and blood in the octagon).

See, the UFC is not permitted in most provinces, other than Quebec and now B.C. And GSP is clearly trying to get those restrictions lifted. Not that his federal government fans can do much about that because it's mostly a provincial jurisdiction. But both fan and fighter can hope to benefit from the photo op.

As an aside, while I didn't catch sight of any female MPs or cabinet ministers there, there were plenty of women (staffers, family?) there. Fans of the sport? Maybe. But as one young giggling woman said after getting GSP's autograph, "What a hottie."

Just in case you thought it was all serious business on the Hill.
http://www.cbc.ca/politics/insidepo...erre-from-the-octagon-to-parliament-hill.html
Good for MMA. Altho he is already huge in Canada and this is likely doing more for the politicians looking for publicity aswell.

Nice that he is quick to talk about getting it regulated all throughout Canada. Besides Dana he is def the biggest voice in Canada that can help.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This is good stuff. I'm glad some of these politicians embrace the sport and even may be fans. We couldn't ask for a better ambassador for MMA in Canada than GSP. Though I wouldn't say GSP was 'huge' in Canada, he is the biggest fish in the MMA/Boxing pond but MMA is still considered a fringe sport.

I would say the average Canadian has no idea who GSP is, which is a shame. The media are always looking to pimp some Canadian who comes in 54th in a biathlon or something, but GSP gets almost no coverage in the main stream despite being one the best in the world.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is good stuff. I'm glad some of these politicians embrace the sport and even may be fans. We couldn't ask for a better ambassador for MMA in Canada than GSP. Though I wouldn't say GSP was 'huge' in Canada, he is the biggest fish in the MMA/Boxing pond but MMA is still considered a fringe sport.

I would say the average Canadian has no idea who GSP is, which is a shame. The media are always looking to pimp some Canadian who comes in 54th in a biathlon or something, but GSP gets almost no coverage in the main stream despite being one the best in the world.

i dunno.

UFC does more PPV sales in Canada then anywhere else.

not per capita. just period.

per capita canada is by far the MMA captial of the world in terms of sales.

he was always sportsnet athlete of the year x2 over such names as Sidney Crosby, Steve Nash etc etc

i wouldnt say he is as mainstream as Sid or Nash. but his popularity is undeniable.

my 78 year old jewish grandmother knows who he is and she wouldnt know MMA from cricket.

still along way to go. but here in Canada, we are the leaders of MMA. Dana knows it too.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
GSP rocks, How can somebody not like this guy? GSP is by far the most popular fighter in MMA no matter where you are talking about.

You would think Randy would be the most popular in America, but comparing him to GSP, it isnt even close.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
GSP rocks, How can somebody not like this guy? GSP is by far the most popular fighter in MMA no matter where you are talking about.

You would think Randy would be the most popular in America, but comparing him to GSP, it isnt even close.
Really? Because where I am from it is Anderson Silva. I could not find a single place that had the GSP/Hardy fight and like 20 had the Silva/Maia fight. I know he is popular but is he really the most popular MMArtist? Good idea for a poll. Might start it up.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts

I don't know. I personally, don't like Chuck Liddel, but I don't think GSP is where Chuck was at during his peak. KO artists gain greater fans, because non-savvy MMA fans can appreciate a KO, but only a handful of fans truly appreciate technical wrestling.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i dunno.

UFC does more PPV sales in Canada then anywhere else.

not per capita. just period.

per capita canada is by far the MMA captial of the world in terms of sales.

he was always sportsnet athlete of the year x2 over such names as Sidney Crosby, Steve Nash etc etc

i wouldnt say he is as mainstream as Sid or Nash. but his popularity is undeniable.

my 78 year old jewish grandmother knows who he is and she wouldnt know MMA from cricket.

still along way to go. but here in Canada, we are the leaders of MMA. Dana knows it too.
I'm not saying GSP does bad, or that MMA in Canada is isn't popular compared to other countries. But for how much this country always seems desperate for some Canadian hero, GSP gets very little press. Internet polls are internet polls. Stephen Colbert would be president of the world if it was based on internet voting.

Some of my good friends don't know who GSP is.

We still have front page's of sports section talking about banning fighting in hockey or too much violence in hockey, the day after GSP headlines an event. My beef is with the mainstream sports media mainly, though they are going to come around whether they like it or not.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Really? Because where I am from it is Anderson Silva. I could not find a single place that had the GSP/Hardy fight and like 20 had the Silva/Maia fight. I know he is popular but is he really the most popular MMArtist? Good idea for a poll. Might start it up.
Are you from Brazil? Silva isn't that popular among most of the MMA fans, or he at least doesn't sell PPVs like GSP and Lesnar.

UFC 112 (Silva & Penn) - 500k buys
UFC 111 (GSp & Mir) - 770k buys

GSP's other recent fights

UFC 100 - 1.6 mil buys
UFC 94 - 920k buys
UFC 87 - 625k buys
UFC 83 - 530k buys

Silva's other recent fights

UFC 101 - 820k buys (vs Forrest, Penn vs Florian as well)
UFC 97 - 650k buys (thanks to Liddell)
UFC 90 - 300k buys
UFC 82 - 325k buys (against Henderson)

Silva needs to be on a card with another big name or else people don't have interest. He is great fighter but people don't care about watching him.

GSP on the other hand is the UFC's 2nd largest draw behind Lesnar. Maybe that just means that Canadians make up a majority of great MMA fans(which I think they do to some extent) or GSP is loved by many in the States.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Are you from Brazil? Silva isn't that popular among most of the MMA fans, or he at least doesn't sell PPVs like GSP and Lesnar.

UFC 100 - 1.6 mil buys
UFC 94 - 920k buys
UFC 87 - 625k buys
UFC 83 - 530k buys

UFC 90 - 300k buys

Silva needs to be on a card with another big name or else people don't have interest. He is great fighter but people don't care about watching him.

GSP on the other hand is the UFC's 2nd largest draw behind Lesnar. Maybe that just means that Canadians make up a majority of great MMA fans(which I think they do to some extent) or GSP is loved by many in the States.
Nope. New Mexico. Which I know everyone, even people in states right next to us think that we are part of Mexico but no. I have a hard time seeing GSP events live other than UFC100 which I attribute to Lesnar/Mir. That and anyone I talk to around here always asks me when I am talking about some fighter or another if they could beat Anderson, and not if they could beat GSP. I guess it could be because we are on the complete opposite side of the states from Canada, but I don't think that is it.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts

UFC 100 - 1.6 mil buys
UFC 94 - 920k buys
UFC 87 - 625k buys
UFC 83 - 530k buys

UFC 90 - 300k buys

Good post, I was looking for PPV numbers to use in this post. I really find it surprising that Silva is the main attracting in your town, Like Talon said, When the UFC wants to sell cards, they put Lesnar or GSP on there. No one can out number GSPs PPV numbers except for Lesnar.

You really think Mir has anything to do with PPV numbers? UFC 100 numbers were so high because it had two of the top PPV selling fighters on the card, Lesnar and GSP.

I cant really say anything about where you live and why they only show Silva the most, but to say just because you dont see it where you live, doesnt mean it isnt true.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Most Canadians know who GSP is. Not *everyone*, but most. I even overheard 2 housewives talking in the grocery store a few weeks ago, about some fights they recently saw. 2 names I heard dropped: GSP & Kimbo. I didn't know which of the following I should do:

:sarcastic09: or :thumb03:

·
Banned
689 Posts
i call bullshit canada doesn't have a government

·
Banned
689 Posts

UFC 100 - 1.6 mil buys
UFC 94 - 920k buys
UFC 87 - 625k buys
UFC 83 - 530k buys

UFC 90 - 300k buys

you forgot the flamboyant homosexual demographic for gsp who love watching him grind his tweeked nipples over his opponents body

Reactions: vilify

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
you forgot the flamboyant homosexual demographic for gsp who love watching him grind his tweeked nipples over his opponents body
I would imagine that straight girls make up a big portion of GSPs lovefest. If it wasn't for him I would suggest at least 20% of all female MMA fans wouldn't have bothered getting into it. Probably closer to 70% but I didn't want to insinuate that birds are only interested in sex and cant possibly enjoy sport for sports sake. ;)

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GSP is probably Illuminati after linking up with all these big wigs...

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's a very good thing MMA fighters are getting yjis kind of exposure and publicity.
GSP is a special case: UFC champion, canadian athelte of the year, appears in more and more commercials.
I would call him a "media phenomenon".
Although we hard cores get annoyed by gsp's cookie cutter answers to interviews, he really is the best ambassador we have for mma outside the octagon. He handle's himself with humility, grace, dedication and respect. Rarely (I'm not imbressed by your berformance asside) steps on anyone's toes. He's sincere. I showed one of my friend's some of GSP's primetime series for the bj and hardy fight. The guy clearly has the best publicist in MMA. They make him out like a perfect hero. He show's respect for his opponent and his dedication is infectious. My friend isn't a fan of MMA but he was super imbressed by GSP.

·
Banned
689 Posts

I would imagine that straight girls make up a big portion of GSPs lovefest. If it wasn't for him I would suggest at least 20% of all female MMA fans wouldn't have bothered getting into it. Probably closer to 70% but I didn't want to insinuate that birds are only interested in sex and cant possibly enjoy sport for sports sake. ;)

GSP IS GAY

MMA Fanhouse reports that UFC president Dana White video blogged that gay fighters would be welcome in the UFC and that not only would he not have a problem with it, the other fighters probably wouldn't either.

"I honestly think it would have no impact whatsoever, with not only our fighters, but our fan base," White said. "The guys in the UFC, everybody's so cool, there's great sportsmanship, everybody's so respectful. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, and most of the guys I know in this sport, it wouldn't be a big deal to them either."

That's a pretty cool thing to say and I can believe it.

UFC fighters are elite athletes with better things to worry about than who's gay and who isn't gay and the very nature of the sport itself engenders mutual respect between the participants because oftentimes, it is only respect and sportsmanship that stand in the way of severe physical injury (well, more than usual).

Besides, there already are gay MMA fighters in the UFC and either Dana White doesn't know about him or he's just not naming names.

When I interviewed ring announcer/comedian/actor Joe Rogan for Out Front Colorado a few years ago we had a really great, really long conversation and one of the topics was about a couple of fairly big-name UFC fighters that were gay.

It was basically an open secret.

I won't name the guys here, because it was off the record, but rest assured, gay guys have fought in the UFC, do fight in the UFC, and will continue to fight in the UFC.

If I weren't so old, I'd probably try to be one of 'em
myself.
link:http://www.milehighgayguy.com/2009/05/dana-white-says-ufc-would-welcome-gays.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.