Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre says he may take a crack at making the Canadian Olympic wrestling team for the 2012 Summer Games.

"It's something in my mind but the thing is I'm on contract with the UFC," the Montreal mixed martial arts star told reporters Friday prior to the UFC 105 weigh-in. "So I have to be very careful in what I'm saying, but we'll see."

"There is a big difference between saying I want to go to the Olympic Games and actually going to the Olympic Games," he added. "It's very hard. To do the tryouts and everything it's very hard. You have to pass through a bunch of obstacles before you get there."

UFC president Dana White seemed supportive when told of St. Pierre's Olympic dream.

"It would be great if he won a medal," White told a UFC conference call later Friday.

St. Pierre, seen as one of the best wrestlers in MMA, was training for the Olympic trials in 2007 when he was summoned as an injury replacement for Matt Serra to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 79. He put his wrestling plans on hold to fight Hughes.

He was planning to compete in the 84-kilogram class.

St. Pierre, 28, routinely trains with some of Canada's top amateurs at the Montreal Wrestling Club.

"It's tough. It wouldn't be easy. But maybe we'll see what's in to happen in London," he said with a laugh of his Olympic dream.
Would love to see GSP represent Canada at the Olympics, especially since he has no amateur wrestling experience.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
That would be awesome if he could do it and it would do a lot for legitimizing the sport even more. Im sure the Canadian government would like to have a big star like GSP in the olympics aswell. I dont know much about wrestling though and i dont know how GSP's wrestling for mma translates to an actual wrestling competition, someone care to enlighten us none wrestlers on how good the mans wrestling actually is?

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
He might very well be able to compete and win in the Olympics.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
I said in another thread about the best grapplers in the world, i think he should be considered, obv for MMA but ppl underestimate his wrestling, he trains with the Canadian team and from what ive heard more then holds his own, he is no joke straight greco grappling or MMA GnP... i mean think about it, best wrestler in MMA without a wrestling pedigree growing up?? How good could this guy be if he focused all his energy on wrestling only for a few years?? Problem is, its not profitable for him or us as fans of MMA for him to do that and i dont think part time training will get the job done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is however profitable for the UFC and Dana White. Think about it. 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist and UFC defending WelterWeight World Champion George "Rush" St-Pierre!!

You wouldn't have to market and hype up any of his fights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We only won three gold medals in each of the last four Summer Olympics. Would be great to see such a big star represents Canada and bring back the gold.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I would also love for this to happen. I don't see why Dana would stop him from doing it either unless it was conflicting with a fight and that should be pretty easy to plan around.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It would be unfortunate if he has to put his MMA career on hold for a while but I would be interested to see how well he'd do. I think the guy would be an Olympic standout personally but I'm not wrestler so my opinion=dirt on the subject :).

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
I think the thing most of you arent understanding is he would have to take a break from MMA for a couple years if he really planned on going for the Gold, its insulting the top wrestlers to think GSP could just come in bruised and battered from fighting, not training wrestling fulltime and beat all the worlds best?? I find it highly unlikely unless he dedicates himself to wrestling full time for a very extended period.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think the thing most of you arent understanding is he would have to take a break from MMA for a couple years if he really planned on going for the Gold, its insulting the top wrestlers to think GSP could just come in bruised and battered from fighting, not training wrestling fulltime and beat all the worlds best?? I find it highly unlikely unless he dedicates himself to wrestling full time for a very extended period.
This would be my main objection. As a resident of the U.S., an MMA fan, and...not a wrestling fan, I would much rather see GSP fighting than competing in the Olympics. Not to say I wouldn't like to see how well he did though :thumbsup:.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I would be interested to see how GSP would do in a straight wrestling match. All the top wrestlers he's faced in MMA have been mediocre strikers at best. Would he still be able to takedown Hughes and Kos at will if they weren't thinking about his striking?

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
I'd miss GSP in mma too, but besides a superfight against Anderson what challenge does GSP have left in mma right now anyway?

I think he should tool the winner of Swick/Hardy like everyone expects him to, get a superfight in with Andy if at all possible, and then concentrate on the olympics for a few years. Just think of how awesome it would be to tell all the people ignorant of MMA that an olympic gold medalist is in it? No one would be able to compare it to human cock fighting or retarded shit like that anymore, it would legitimize it as a sport for all time. Because an olympic gold is the most highly recognized and mainstream sport achievement all over the world. And "kinda almost won a medal" like Randy/Hendo/Lindland doesn't quite cut it.

By the time GSP comes back in 2012, he'll still be young and ready for a new crop of WW contenders... maybe even a new top dog to offer him some real challenge.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Interesting. Reminds me of how Kurt Angle wanted to take time out of WWE and train for the Olympics a second time. But Kurt hadn't wrestled for awhile and his body was too banged up by the time he wanted to compete for the 2nd time. GSP could do well due to his fierce determination and overwhelming athleticism. We'll see how this plays out.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
GSP's focus and discipline are second to none, and I think he could do it, but I'd rather see him in the octagon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If this is true...GD you GSP for makeing me interested in the Olympics for once :p

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
GSP could very well win a medal, he has trained fairly regualrily with the Canadian olympic team and they were pushing him to try out for the last games and his wrestling has only continued to improve since then.

·
Registered
241 Posts
He should fight the winner of Swick/Hardy and then go on to fight A.Silva for the MW belt and, win or lose, go on to train for the Olympics. Can you imagine a gold medalist at the Olympics and dual champ at WW and MW? He'd be the greatest athlete Canada ever produced (above Gretzky).

But getting back to reality, I doubt he could pose a threat to A.Silva and him winning a wrestling tourney at the highest level is very unlikely considering he has little competitive experience in freestyle wrestling. If I were him, I don't know if Id go ahead with it: he could lose it all if he were to leave MMA for a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts