Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Do you think he will fight at MW or WW. I wouldn't be surprised if Dana would want him at WW, just because GSP is running out of contenders. At MW he doesn't really have much of shot in my opinion. Can you really see him beating Silva, Sonnen, Marquardt, or Belfort. A fight against Maia would make the most sense, since neither know how to throw a punch. I see Shields getting submitted in that fight though.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Oh, he would definitely be fighting at Welterweight. Jake is a natural 170-pounder and he would get completely outsized by UFC middleweights. That being said though, I think he could actually put up decent fights against every guy you mentioned. Shields has top quality BJJ and LnP.
No way he doesn't get knocked out by Marquardt, Silva (or danced around and made to look like a fool), and Belfort. Sonnen out LNPs him anyday. Shields could take Maia down, but why would he want to. He has good BJJ, but he's nowhere close to Maia's level.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Was rooting for the veteran, he had his chance in the first. Oh well. Way to end the night and possibily his career in SF should he decide to leave...haha!

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
I think that was the plan win or lose. And he'd definitely be put in at 170, to set up a potential title fight with GSP - in which GSP would wreck him:

GSP TDD > Shields TD
GSP striking > Shields striking

Needless to say GSP would keep it a stand-up fight and finish Jake easily IMO.

I'd love this fight though, 2 of my fav fighters.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I think that was the plan win or lose. And he'd definitely be put in at 170, to set up a potential title fight with GSP - in which GSP would wreck him:

GSP TDD > Shields TD
GSP striking > Shields striking

Needless to say GSP would keep it a stand-up fight and finish Jake easily IMO.

I'd love this fight though, 2 of my fav fighters.
Shelds submission > GSPs submissions

Shields Takedowns >GSPs TDD

anyday....

And BTW who the hell has manhandled Dan Henderson like that on the ground? Seriously who?

Even Nog in his prime had a harder time...

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
GSP would MAUL a 39 year old gassed out Henderson with ease.
Funny.....

Nobody called him 39 and gassed when he beat Palhares, Bisbing and Franklin on that 3 fight win streak of his....

Bottom line is Jake Shields is destroying very solid WW and MWs..

GSP..... just WWs..

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Shelds submission > GSPs submissions

Shields Takedowns >GSPs TDD

anyday....

And BTW who the hell has manhandled Dan Henderson like that on the ground? Seriously who?

Even Nog in his prime had a harder time...
lol dude I love Shields and continuously stated he'd beat Henderson, however I don't know if his wrestling is better than GSP's ... I can't see him putting him on his back at all, however I could see him doing that to Hendo.

That's just my opinion - I love both Shields and GSP and it's a fight I want to see, and I'm sure it'll happen soon - but I see GSP taking it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I dont know how anyone can say he cant hang with ufc MWs after last nights display.He could beat wandi, akiyami,bisbing,maia,mcfederies,leben amongst others

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I dont know how anyone can say he cant hang with ufc MWs after last nights display.He could beat wandi, akiyami,bisbing,maia,mcfederies,leben amongst others

Marquardt.... refer to Sonnen fight
Goveia.... on any day
Grove... superior wrestling and BJJ
Quarry.... Refer to Maia fight
Franklin.... what has RIch really shown us in the past 2 years?
Hendo....LOL had to throw that in there...
Okami..... He's already beaten him....
Sakara and Irvin..... both would get slammed, passed, and subbed.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I could see Shields getting "Henderson" like treatment from the UFC if he signs. I really think it could be up to him what he does as far as weight class goes.

But I could see it going down where he comes in and gets an instant title shot at Anderson... then after losing that, he goes back to 170 gets a shot at GSP... or maybe one fight before GSP against someone like Paulo Thiago or something.

I wanted to add, I for one would have no problem with this if it happened... he's earned it. Lets not also forget that Shields tooled one of the UFC's current top prospects (Daley) just about two years ago now.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
I didnt see him outwrestling Dan before the fight, if anything I thought it would be a 5 rnd UD to Hendo. In think GSP would UD Shields, nut why not give him a shot? I think he will stay at middleweight though and there could be a few good fights there in the UFC.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Ignore Rival, people. He's quite possibly the biggest SF fanboy, and most anti-UFC individual at this site. So much so that it borders on the ridiculous, and he gets offended any time someone dare to hold a UFC fighter in higher regard than a SF fighter. Give me a break... I love Dan Henderson, but the Dan we saw last night would have easily fallen to a 200 pound GSP. Only difference is, GSP would have taken him down that much easier than Shields. I also happen to be one of the few remaining Shields fans it would seem, but even I'm not biased enough to claim that Shields could outwrestle GSP. Frankly, I'm not going to make that claim about either man... I fully admit after last night's performance, GSP vs. Jake Shields is a fight I legitimately want to see. Your coming in here and claiming 'Shield's TDs > GSP's TDD' with no basis of proof or any form of reasoning whatsoever is completely asinine. Administrator or not, I'm calling you on your BS, as it's becoming ever more clear that this whole 'anti-Dana' and 'ant-UFC' attitude you have overtakes anything and everything you might actually have to say.

What leads you to believe that GSP wouldn't just stuff Jake? He did so with ease against a very good wrestler in Kos, and in the few times he's actually wound up on his back, he's been back on his feet within a millisecond. I don't want to turn this into a UFC vs. SF thread. But you can't just come in here and expect 'Shield's TDs > GSP's TDD' to cut it, especially when GSP has shown world class TDD, whereas Shield's has shown his takedowns are no where near the level of GSP's. And while I tip my hat to Shields for taking on 'world class' middleweights, as I said eariler, a 200 pound GSP would have beaten the Dan Henderson who showed up last night. He already beat Mayhem Miller. And he'd beat Robbie Lawler, whose about as big and as skilled as Dan Hardy off of his back. You're reaching, on so many levels, and even you must know this.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Ignore Rival, people. He's quite possibly the biggest SF fanboy, and most anti-UFC individual at this site. So much so that it borders on the ridiculous, and he gets offended any time someone dare to hold a UFC fighter in higher regard than a SF fighter. Give me a break... I love Dan Henderson, but the Dan we saw last night would have easily fallen to a 200 pound GSP. Only difference is, GSP would have taken him down that much easier than Shields. I also happen to be one of the few remaining Shields fans it would seem, but even I'm not biased enough to claim that Shields could outwrestle GSP. Frankly, I'm not going to make that claim about either man... I fully admit after last night's performance, GSP vs. Jake Shields is a fight I legitimately want to see. Your coming in here and claiming 'Shield's TDs > GSP's TDD' with no basis of proof or any form of reasoning whatsoever is completely asinine. Administrator or not, I'm calling you on your BS, as it's becoming ever more clear that this whole 'anti-Dana' and 'ant-UFC' attitude you have overtakes anything and everything you might actually have to say.

What leads you to believe that GSP wouldn't just stuff Jake? He did so with ease against a very good wrestler in Kos, and in the few times he's actually wound up on his back, he's been back on his feet within a millisecond. I don't want to turn this into a UFC vs. SF thread. But you can't just come in here and expect 'Shield's TDs > GSP's TDD' to cut it, especially when GSP has shown world class TDD, whereas Shield's has shown his takedowns are no where near the level of GSP's. And while I tip my hat to Shields for taking on 'world class' middleweights, as I said eariler, a 200 pound GSP would have beaten the Dan Henderson who showed up last night. He already beat Mayhem Miller. And he'd beat Robbie Lawler, whose about as big and as skilled as Dan Hardy off of his back. You're reaching, on so many levels, and even you must know this.
word.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Shields TD's > GSP's? Really?? LMAO, sorry but no. Shields was really dedicated but he fought for those TD's ending up in that awkward crucifix like position a couple times. GSP on the other hand is really explosive and he puts the exclamation on the TD. infact from now on Shields gets takedowns, GSP gets takedowns!!! the three exclamation points are now required by law.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts