Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people were hating on him for not fight and just wanted to see someone give him an old fashion beat down. Last night Chael did it but lost. Wondering what do those who were against AS last night think of him now?

Don't get me wrong Chael suprised the hell out of me and has earn my respect i went into there hating his ass. Chael did everything i did not expect him to do. AS over came adversity and won, but i expected AS to beat the living hell out of chael.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Yes, but for the better. I'd rather see a man take a 4.5 round ass kicking and come back to win in the last minute than dance around the ring, mocking his opponent and refusing to engage because he believes he's on a whole other planet of fighting. The Anderson Silva from last night warrants my respect a heck of a lot more than the Anderson Silva from Silva vs. Maia or Silva vs. Leites.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I know a lot of people were hating on him for not fight and just wanted to see someone give him an old fashion beat down. Last night Chael did it but lost. Wondering what do those who were against AS last night think of him now?

Don't get me wrong Chael suprised the hell out of me and has earn my respect i went into there hating his ass. Chael did everything i did not expect him to do. AS over came adversity and won, but i expected AS to beat the living hell out of chael.
That's so right.
But he can't do that from the bottom, when the guy on the top throws punches on him non-stop.
I think he knew he would have ended on his back eventually, but he didn't realise Sonnen was that good. Maybe after the first rd, he thought he would do the same thing he did to Hendo.

I still think AS is the best MW out there, but i could see him losing to GSP atm. ANd as far as him going to LHW, i think a powerful LHW wrestler with good sub defense and good cardio would own him.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Chael did everything i did not expect him to do. AS over came adversity and won, but i expected AS to beat the living hell out of chael.
Chael Sonnen did exactly what people thought he would do, take him down and ground and pound it was the duration of it that I and many were shocked to see. And ofcourse nobody expected huge success on the feet on Chael's part.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont think Anderson looked like himself last night i was expecting allot more from Andy, maybe it was the rib or maybe something else. I still say he is 1# P4P and would beat GSP.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think Chael proves he is one of the toughest fighters in the UFC and I myself rank him p4p top 3 only because he doesn't lay and pray to get wins but gives it his all every single time, if he didnt I think he would have a greater success rate because he would avoid getting submitted and thus be even better then GSP, the only reason he's not #1 is because he over does it.

Anderson Silva however I think was kinda overrated, In both standing and his reflex speed and instincts that or he was actually scared lol, I'd def like to see a rematch after Sonnen and Vitor duke it out. I think we will see a more ground fighting Anderson in his next fights after the beating he received because he always comes back better then the before.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
He did basically the exact same thing against Lutter.

He was the greatest ever before this fight and is still the greatest ever after it. The best find a way to win with broken ribs or injured knees.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
I dont think Anderson looked like himself last night i was expecting allot more from Andy, maybe it was the rib or maybe something else. I still say he is 1# P4P and would beat GSP.
I think you are out of your ever-loving mind. GSP wouldn't fall into a submission in the last round, I can guarantee it.

My opinion hasn't changed. Lutter exposed him when they fought, and Lutter looked terrible.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Its to early for me to tell. This fight SHOULD light a fire under Silva's a$s. I will base my opinion on him after he fights whoever gets the next shot at him. The only thing Anderson needed was an eye opening experience that he wasn't completely invincible like he thought he was, this fight should do exactly that for him and motivate to actually prepare for his opponents from now on. The only opinion that changes for me after this fight is my opinion on Chael. He may be a prick, but he is an awesome fighter that could be the next MW champ if he decides to learn basic Ju Jitsu defense. He basically gave Anderson that triangle by laying in Silva's guard and leaving his head and his arm on a silver platter. I believe that in a rematch Anderson would be much better prepared to at least contain Chael's takedowns and would win, but Chael is still by far the second best MW in the division after that convincing performance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really thought he'd be much more dangerous and slick off of his back against Chael, going for subs and sweeps, but he really didnt offer much of anything until the end.

Im hoping the injured rib had something to do with that because even Chael said that he was surprised at how little resistance Silva was putting up.

But not only was he dominated on the ground, Sonnen caught him with more than a few clean shots to the head when they were standing.

At least we got to see his chin which is definitely pretty solid.

all that said, I plan on betting on Silva again if they have a rematch, and I will get much better odds the next time.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
My respect for his endurance and heart has increased. But I thought he would be much more elusive in the early rounds. I know that Chael is a world class wrestler, but I honestly thought Silva had better take down defense.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not even a little, he was the best before, he's the best now. he came back with a russow like victory. when he wasnt constantly throwing subs i figured when he saw the perfect oppurtunity it would be over, and it was.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes my opinion has changed.

I know think even more of him as a fighter. Like most sports, a team or an Athlete isn't judged by how they perform against an inferior opponent. It's how they perform when they are facing someone equal to or better than them.

Anderson faced someone that is equally as good as he is at his forte', and despite being on the "Judicial" short end of the stick for over 4 rounds, he still prevailed.

So I think much more of a fighter that may barely win, but still wins against an equal or better fighter, than I do about a fighter that dominates lesser competition.

Had Silva lost, we would all be saying, Yeah, sure, he can look great against guys not at his level, but he loses as soon as he faces a guy at his level in their style. But no, he faces that guy and still wins.

So yeah, I am even more impressed with him now than I was before.

·
Registered
428 Posts
my opinion of him softend a litle bit, any guy that can take a whopping like that for 20 plus minutes and still pull out a win is worth a bit of respect, hopefully that arse kicking chael put on him knocked some sense into his head and he stops dancing from now on and actually fights when hes in the cage

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I think you are out of your ever-loving mind. GSP wouldn't fall into a submission in the last round, I can guarantee it.

My opinion hasn't changed. Lutter exposed him when they fought, and Lutter looked terrible.

Lutter was fighting a Silva that had both knees cut open 11 weeks before the fight. That's getting cut open, having the surgeon do whatever, stiches, pain for a while, getting the stiches taken out, waiting for the internal and external wound to heal, learning to walk, then run, then test your knees with weights, then building the strength back up. That was 'leaked' by Rogan after the fight--I think I would discount Silva moreso than Lutter int hat fight. The Hendo takedown was nice after avoiding a commited strike, he went for a single leg, twisted, landed it perfectly, got in half guard and started pounding.

My opinion is in limbo. He may be washed up or he really had some bruised/broken rib(s), but doesn't back out of fights because of injuries.

There've been times where his instincts, reflexes, strikes, combos have made him look like a god among men --- that was not even close to the same Anderson Silva. Sonnen wasn't coming out with some movement, speed and combinations - all stuff that you would expect Silva would handle.

I just want to see him fight again to see if he's really that far gone. Sonnen, Belfort, Okami - whomever.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.