Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say I am not condoning Silva's actions this past weekend. I am still a die hard fan and will still cheer for him the next time he fights, that being said I was not okay with the last two and a half minutes of that fight.

Now onto my point... what's wrong with this situation, and inevitable proof that will follow?

Over the past few years the UFC's champions have always served as the main draw. The biggest being Brock, and Randy was of course a big draw before that. GSP would be close second, and BJ Penn's pay per views were doing well too. Even Lyoto, who despite his great following in the MMA world, was a realitive unknown drew very solid numbers in his first defense against Shogun (of course having shogun didn't hurt either).

My point is, when Anderson first hit the scene... he was respectful to Leben, who was not respectful to him... he was very respectful to Franklin, and Marquardt... and throughout all of these dominating wins over top fighters he continued to be the weakest drawing champion in the UFC. Just look up the numbers you will see for yourself.

Having said all that. The thought that Dana is going to move him to the undercard is completely ludacris. Whoever Anderson Silva fights next is a golden spot of play David the in the battle against Goliath. Even Frank Mir would probably be seen as an underdog and would no doubt get an immense amount of support.
In short Anderson Silva didn't get the respect he deserved when he was earning it, and now he has most likely taken over Brock's spot as the UFC's number one heel, and I guarantee his next fight will draw big numbers. Millions who just want to see him fall.

And yes, I do think that's wrong. Despite the events of April 10th.

My two cents, BrianRClover

·
Banned
27 Posts
There is a difference between popularity and respect and/or being likable. I don't think anyone could disrespect Silva for his skills up until the Cote fight and this recent fiasco.

However he was never very popular because he didn't connect as a person with the fans. Bowing and canned statements form your manager only go so far, because it always has been fake imo.

After getting the belt he became arrogant and stated that every single opponent of his 'disrespected him'; like a broken record.

Look at some old interviews, pre-belt and some old ones post belt. Silva went arrogant, and all the make-believe scraping bow stuff was never convincing to show any kind of humility or even really liking the fans.

Back then: respected - yes, popular to watch yes; popular as in liked - no.
Now: Popular - no; resepcted - heck no.

And I don 't think he will draw. But watching Brock fight is awesome, watching Anderson fight Cote and Maia is just boring and lame.

Brock heeled up, but fought well and the fight was not defaced. Silva didn't really turn heel he always has been, just not as blatant. He just 'clowned up' with the antics inside the fight. Seriously, the only things missing were a clown nose and some big shoes. Who wnats to see that?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
'ludacris' == lol

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Silva is in prety much the same situation he was in after his fights with Cote and Leites. Remember? Fans weren't so happy, Dana wasn't happy, kept on saying how people called him and asked him what happened to Silva in those fights.
Right after, the UFC thought he should make up for it by giving him a big challenge (or so they thaught - Forrest).
This time, it's a bit worse, and i think the UFC would have to go a step further in order to make up for Silva's actions. Afterall, he is their employee, and he he didn't deliver, you coud say.."he didn't respect the customers = the fans, the people who bought the PPV's".
And i don't think he didn't get the respect he deserved. He got that respect and even more. He was hailed as one of the best ever, No 1 P4P fighter, a lot of superlatives started surrounding his name. But after his last fight, i agree, he lost some of that respect, and the only way he will get that back is, if he starts being more humble, and starts giving some respect to others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get all the UFC PPV's, always have
I had a PPV party last Sat.(some mma fans some not), My friend asked who was fighting and I told him Anderson Sylvia, He went into this speel about Anderson being overated and boring, he saw the leites and Cote gems! Anyway, I told him and the party he doesn't know shit(nicely) and explained about his last fight he KO forrest, well last july anyway, I told them this is the best fight on the planet and to get ready for a treat!! Well....................................................................... Boy did I look like a DB!!! couldn't been a worse fight!! Anyway after the PPV everyone was not happy with that POS so pretty much everybody says were not doing that again(felt like after tyson vs. Hurrican Mcneely). All the mma newbys are nobuys now,(you like that!) I think theUFC went back about 4 years after that POS!! UFC PPV's have never really left me feeling robbed like this one. To make matters worse my wife of 12 years says maybe we should take a break on these PPV's!! We have been getting all of them for that last 6 years!!!

I know he looked good the first 3 rounds but that bizzare shit in rds 4 and 5 erased that in everyones minds!!!!

Oh and Dana hears one way to make it up to the fans................
Paulo Filho:confused03: vs. Anderson Sylvia:praise01:
They can dance around and talk to imaginary people but no punching or anything that resembles a fight

Anderson, thanks for bringing more fans to Baseball!!

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
The UFC markets him wrong for the audience they have. You can't have him brutally **** in unprecedented fashion a bunch of white america's everyman heroes and be like ANDERSON SILVA ISN'T HE AWESOME! Seriously do they not realize a huge percentage of their audience are ********. What do ******** go insane about? Colored people, foreigners, people who don't speak english in america. He should just open an abortion clinic for the purpose of completion.

Add to that when he isn't fighting those guys he is fighting no names. So here are your options pay to see a guy brutally **** your hero or pay to see a guy you hate fight someone you don't know. It worked with Forrest because people fooled themselves into thinking he had a chance. Maybe you can replicate that with a few other people but there aren't many guys with that kind of aura about them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The UFC markets him wrong for the audience they have. You can't have him brutally **** in unprecedented fashion a bunch of white america's everyman heroes and be like ANDERSON SILVA ISN'T HE AWESOME! Seriously do they not realize a huge percentage of their audience are ********. What do ******** go insane about? Colored people, foreigners, people who don't speak english in america. He should just open an abortion clinic for the purpose of completion.

Add to that when he isn't fighting those guys he is fighting no names. So here are your options pay to see a guy brutally **** your hero or pay to see a guy you hate fight someone you don't know. It worked with Forrest because people fooled themselves into thinking he had a chance. Maybe you can replicate that with a few other people but there aren't many guys with that kind of aura about them.

Seriously, its about race now??? LOL LOL, ********, LOL Seriously I got to stay off these forums!!!! to many teens on here or should I say tweens!!!LOL LOL douchebag!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts

WOW... cant get a more idiotic person if you tried, usually these type of people stay here for a week or so and gather up 10 posts and leave, wish it was the case for this fool.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I get all the UFC PPV's, always have
I had a PPV party last Sat.(some mma fans some not), My friend asked who was fighting and I told him Anderson Sylvia, He went into this speel about Anderson being overated and boring, he saw the leites and Cote gems! Anyway, I told him and the party he doesn't know shit(nicely) and explained about his last fight he KO forrest, well last july anyway, I told them this is the best fight on the planet and to get ready for a treat!! Well....................................................................... Boy did I look like a DB!!! couldn't been a worse fight!! Anyway after the PPV everyone was not happy with that POS so pretty much everybody says were not doing that again(felt like after tyson vs. Hurrican Mcneely). All the mma newbys are nobuys now,(you like that!) I think theUFC went back about 4 years after that POS!! UFC PPV's have never really left me feeling robbed like this one. To make matters worse my wife of 12 years says maybe we should take a break on these PPV's!! We have been getting all of them for that last 6 years!!!

I know he looked good the first 3 rounds but that bizzare shit in rds 4 and 5 erased that in everyones minds!!!!

Oh and Dana hears one way to make it up to the fans................
Paulo Filho:confused03: vs. Anderson Sylvia:praise01:
They can dance around and talk to imaginary people but no punching or anything that resembles a fight

Anderson, thanks for bringing more fans to Baseball!!
'Anderson Sylvia' == lol

·
6,517 Posts
WOW... cant get a more idiotic person if you tried, usually these type of people stay here for a week or so and gather up 10 posts and leave, wish it was the case for this fool.
So you are denying that a great white hope syndrome exists. Basically you are claiming that if Rocky was 4 minutes long and nothing but Apollo Creed beating the **** out of him in an embarrassing fashion it would be just as popular. Because that is what Anderson Silva has done in the UFC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So you are denying that a great white hope syndrome exists. Basically you are claiming that if Rocky was 4 minutes long and nothing but Apollo Creed beating the **** out of him in an embarrassing fashion it would be just as popular. Because that is what Anderson Silva has done in the UFC.
Yes I'm denying it, maybe in your world,,, oh and Rocky was a movie!!!not real:confused03:

·
6,517 Posts
Yes I'm denying it, maybe in your world,,, oh and Rocky was a movie!!!not real:confused03:
Come up with a more plausible explanation than mine as to why the only Anderson Silva fight that was a big draw was against Forrest Griffin.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't real it operate on the same premise.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
lol :laugh:

funny post. Although your delivery isnt fully developed, in essence your point is somewhat valid. I think most people of this board are under 40 years old and see race far differently than people of 1 or 2 generations ago.

But I do vaguely remember the racial fiascos of Hagler/Minter and Holmes/Cooney :laugh:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts

You've been saying stupid things since the Silva fight but this takes the cake.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Does anybody really give a crap about what race of a guy Silva beats up? Nobody in his wieght class can beat him regardless. He is so overly dominate most the time that its not really even interesting to watch. You know he is gonna win so just wake me when its over.

·
6,517 Posts
its called ufc 101 had bj on it,,coming after biggest to date UFC 100,
BJ and Forrest don't draw 850k buys against nondraws and the PPV that followed Chuck/Tito II which did over a million buys got 350k buys. Anderson/Leites with Chuck/Shogun on the card did 200k less buys than this PPV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts