Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here, and would like to introduce myself. First of all I am from the subarbs of Chicago, and I am a Junior in Highschool. I enjoy running and swimming among other things. I have also done Taekwondo for 12 years. I have been a fan of MMA for quite some time now, and am looking for people to discuss it with. Around here everyone is a UFC fan, and I would like to talk about other fighters, and orginizations.

So I am glad to be here, and look forward to posting with you all.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Welcome, lots of people are talking Strikeforce and WEC right now, and Bellator, DREAM, etc could always use more support. Good place to talk about them you found! :thumbsup: + any others are cool too.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. I took taekwondo for 4 years.

Do you practice any other type of Martial Art now?

I just got my 1st Dan for Taekwondo. I had the Poom for just about ever. I would have gotten it on my 16th birthday, but I was not yet showing proper maturity to recieve the honor which I belive is a true statement, and haveing to wait somewhat bettered me as a person.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Do you practice any other type of Martial Art now?

I just got my 1st Dan for Taekwondo. I had the Poom for just about ever. I would have gotten it on my 16th birthday, but I was not yet showing proper maturity to recieve the honor which I belive is a true statement, and haveing to wait somewhat bettered me as a person.
Yes, right now I take judo, shotokan, and goshinjitsu karate (IDK if it's neko-ryu goshinjitsu or not) all at the same dojo.

I also train various MMA combination classes, about 2-3x a week.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats awesome, I wish there was a place around here that offered that type of variety. Are there many Woman that go to MMA combination classes, or if not how is the sparring with men? I was thinking about joining a Gym around here that has MMA classes, but no girls attended it.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Thats awesome, I wish there was a place around here that offered that type of variety. Are there many Woman that go to MMA combination classes, or if not how is the sparring with men? I was thinking about joining a Gym around here that has MMA classes, but no girls attended it.
The MMA combination classes are usually about 1/3 women, 2/3 men, but there is only one girl who is skilled enough to roll with the guys much, and she has had two amateur fights and won both by KO. She is also a trainer at that gym and gets a lot more instruction.

I'm sure there is a gym that offers instruction in more than one art, if you're outside a major metropolitan area. Either way men are usually very sporting about grappling with women and adjust for their smaller size and (somewhat) weaker state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts