Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this "trend" im talking about is is the same that GSP and Rashad went through, im talking about where they lose a fight because they got knocked out(rashad) or tko'd(gsp)and they lose all confidence in their chin/standup, every fight after serra for GSP has been takedowns and ground fighting, Rashad-after he got KO'd by machida, his fight with thiago consisted of taking him down the whole time and winning by desicion and im pretty sure thats gonna be his gameplan for rampage. so now that machida got KO'd bu Rua, do u think he's gonna follow this trend? i hope not

·
Registered
750 Posts
No Machida won't because he didn't play his type of game in his last fight so he will just go back to what he does best, which is counter-striking. I think he knows he can do well with taking people to the ground but his true strengths are still in his stand-up and I've yet to see anyone mess with Machida while he's playing his own game.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
No Machida won't because he didn't play his type of game in his last fight so he will just go back to what he does best, which is counter-striking. I think he knows he can do well with taking people to the ground but his true strengths are still in his stand-up and I've yet to see anyone mess with Machida while he's playing his own game.
This #2 :thumbsup:

won't happen don't worry ;D

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That's funny. Machida said he was doing what he wanted to do but Shogun caught him.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
he will never beat shogun unless he completely changes his gameplan. His karate will never beat shoguns mua thai, not possible any more, not from a fans perspective but from a martial arts perspective, Machida's strikes simply do not do enough damage to stop Shogun when he's coming in. It'll be a submission win if he ever takes the title back.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
He may have been doing what he wanted to do, but he wasn't doing what he normally does. He came out more aggressive than usual against Rua and got caught. I suspect he'll stick to the counter-striking from now on.
Why would he stick to his original style? We all saw how that worked out for him in the first fight.

I don't think it was so much about Machida being aggressive. It was about how much more aggressive Shogun came out. They were both determined to end the fight but, Shogun is just much better at that than Machida.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why would he stick to his original style? We all saw how that worked out for him in the first fight.

I don't think it was so much about Machida being aggressive. It was about how much more aggressive Shogun came out. They were both determined to end the fight but, Shogun is just much better at that than Machida.
Like Spec0688 said above:

There are certain fighters who just have the other fighters number and Shogun is one of those for Machida.
If he wanted to beat Shogun he would have to change his game plan completely, but against almost any other fighter I think he'll be just fine sticking to his usual counter-striking style of fighting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is a good topic. It looked like Machida was going for the takedown more than usual in the shogun fight, and it got him knocked out. I think Machida knows at this point where his strength lies and thats with his stand-up. It makes sense for him continue to improve his standup because that's what kept him undefeated against a lot of great fighters until the shogun matchup.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I find these "GSP is gunshy" -comments kinda silly. Pit GSP against a jitsu blackbelt with bad stand up and I'm sure we'll see him unleashing bunch of combos standing instead of going for takedown.
Being able to beat his opponent wherever he is weakest at is kinda GSP's thing, he has fought nothing but great strikers on his last few fights so it is kinda obvious he takes the fights to the ground. This doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to beat Hardy, Penn and Alves standing, but why keep the fight standing when you got MUCH better wrestling and jitsu blackbelt to go with it?
If GSP was scared to strike with his opponents we wouldn't see him throwing superman punches and kicks like he has on his fights.

@ Machida - I highly doubt that he'll do alot of switches. Who in LHS has the speed and technique of Shogun? Just because one opponent is able to finally land a punch on him it doesn't mean he needs to revamp his entire game.
His problem really is that in any form of Karate there really isn't special leg kick techniques involved. The stance he uses leaves the legs very open while his torso and head are safe from the damage as long as he can keep up with his opponent with his leg work and head movement. He'll need to practice different more common stances more suitable for checking & blocking leg kicks so he can switch his game accordingly to counter them, or he needs to be the one that pushes the action instead of relying too much on countering the opponent's mistakes.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This is a good topic. It looked like Machida was going for the takedown more than usual in the shogun fight, and it got him knocked out. I think Machida knows at this point where his strength lies and thats with his stand-up. It makes sense for him continue to improve his standup because that's what kept him undefeated against a lot of great fighters until the shogun matchup.
How did takedowns get him knocked out? He didn't get knocked out from Rua being on the ground or getting kneed as he shot.

Machida's takedowns were working, but Rua was doing a great job getting up from them. He got knocked out because he himself got Machida'd. He didn't want the fight to go the same way as the last one so he committed more and Shogun countered.

The thing with Machida is that he was always a cautious counter striker, if anything this makes him retreat further into his style, which, until meeting Shogun, was working to great effect.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
lol neg reppers, let me know how Machida's karate will win, go ahead, show yourself you cowards and give me a logical explanation how an open karate stance with weak counter striking will ever beat an agressive mua thai style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.