Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I think James Toney is going to get his ass kicked. James Toney is out of his league," Hopkins recently told Mauro Ranallo on Sirius' Hardcore Sports Radio. "I believe and I'll go on record with this, the best MMA guy or UFC guy goes up against the boxer in the world, in their arena ... gets their ass kicked. I don't care if it's Floyd [Mayweather], [Manny] Pacquiao or Bernard Hopkins. It's not what we do."

Hopkins also added that if UFC champ Anderson Silva tried to straight up box against an elite boxer, he'd struggle as well.

"This is a different arena. I'm not saying he won't have his moments," said Hopkins. "Listen, when that instinct comes in. When one guy is used to taking a guy down, using his forearm or chin or whatever and you take that away, it's like taking his teeth out of his mouth. He's no longer a lion."

I agree with Mr Hopkins on this, cant wait for ufc 118.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
"I think James Toney is going to get his ass kicked. James Toney is out of his league," Hopkins recently told Mauro Ranallo on Sirius' Hardcore Sports Radio. "I believe and I'll go on record with this, the best MMA guy or UFC guy goes up against the boxer in the world, in their arena ... gets their ass kicked. I don't care if it's Floyd [Mayweather], [Manny] Pacquiao or Bernard Hopkins. It's not what we do."

Hopkins also added that if UFC champ Anderson Silva tried to straight up box against an elite boxer, he'd struggle as well.

"This is a different arena. I'm not saying he won't have his moments," said Hopkins. "Listen, when that instinct comes in. When one guy is used to taking a guy down, using his forearm or chin or whatever and you take that away, it's like taking his teeth out of his mouth. He's no longer a lion."

I agree with Mr Hopkins on this, cant wait for ufc 118.
Toney, you should listen to your man B-Hop. He's cool. He's trying to help you out, brah.

·
Registered
80 Posts
randy has wrestled his whole life man , and james has boxed his whole life, its 50/50. Randy has a better chance people because of his experience in mma, james has never fought mma before. But anything can happen , a fight is a fight, James does have really good accuracy and he can end almost anybodys night with one punch.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
randy has wrestled his whole life man , and james has boxed his whole life, its 50/50. Randy has a better chance people because of his experience in mma, james has never fought mma before. But anything can happen , a fight is a fight, James does have really good accuracy and he can end almost anybodys night with one punch.
Yeah Randy also boxed for a while there too buddy.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Tim vs Mercer:

That's the thing, it's not like Tim sat there and traded jabs. The round started, Mercer walked up and KO'd him. Hardly ever does a fighter start a round straight into a shot. With the exception of Diego Sanchez, most guys start fights with a feeling out process where they to try to find distance & pace and that's all Tim was really doing when Mercer brought the thunder.

I think that's where James has his chance, in the brief or prolonged feeling out period. The sooner Randy takes him out of his element, the better. I think James best chances are within the first minute, but once Randy feels him out, then it's bad news for James "Peanut Butter on the roof of his mouth" Toney.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Tim vs Mercer:

That's the thing, it's not like Tim sat there and traded jabs. The round started, Mercer walked up and KO'd him. Hardly ever does a fighter start a round straight into a shot. With the exception of Diego Sanchez, most guys start fights with a feeling out process where they to try to find distance & pace and that's all Tim was really doing when Mercer brought the thunder.

I think that's where James has his chance, in the brief or prolonged feeling out period. The sooner Randy takes him out of his element, the better. I think James best chances are within the first minute, but once Randy feels him out, then it's bad news for James "Peanut Butter on the roof of his mouth" Toney.
Couture's clinch is the key to why this is such a bad matchup for Toney. Randy doesn't need to shoot, merely clinch. That's his world and it's not terribly difficult to get into that world. Everything about this is problematic for Toney. My only real concern is the age factor. He's a decent boxer, but doesn't have the reflexes he even had at age 40.

For Silvia, I had a bad feeling about that fight. He's a standup guy. He was throwing punches and kicks (albeit one or two) before getting KO'd. Not much else to his game. For Couture I see a cage clinch, to a takedown and GnP against the cage. In fact I actually see a submission in this fight, not his forte, but he does have them and Toney won't have a clue on how to defend.

But a lucky KO from Toney is going to ruin my day. In fact it'll probably takes months to recover from that. He needs a quick GnP from Randy, and maybe have someone like Berry take out his legs, and then get cut by Dana. We need a statement here.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am really just afraid of the first minute, this is where Toney will do his thing, during the feeling out period hopefully Randy is smart and keeps his distance until he can shoot in. Leg kicks will be Randy's friend.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Couture's clinch is the key to why this is such a bad matchup for Toney. Randy doesn't need to shoot, merely clinch. That's his world and it's not terribly difficult to get into that world. Everything about this is problematic for Toney. My only real concern is the age factor. He's a decent boxer, but doesn't have the reflexes he even had at age 40.

For Silvia, I had a bad feeling about that fight. He's a standup guy. He was throwing punches and kicks (albeit one or two) before getting KO'd. Not much else to his game. For Couture I see a cage clinch, to a takedown and GnP against the cage. In fact I actually see a submission in this fight, not his forte, but he does have them and Toney won't have a clue on how to defend.

But a lucky KO from Toney is going to ruin my day. In fact it'll probably takes months to recover from that. He needs a quick GnP from Randy, and maybe have someone like Berry take out his legs, and then get cut by Dana. We need a statement here.
No. The clinch is NOT Randy's world with Toney. I am well aware of the clinch systems being different. But up close....Toney is slick. Ya he isn't used to elbows but don't think that shit doesn't happen in sparring sessions with new and upcoming fighters. Randy goes in close...he is AT RISK of getting a rolled uppercut to his already shaky head. Up close is not good for randy. He needs to go OUT OF HIS COMFORT ZONE and shoot from the outside, secure a single and take him down and control from the ground. That is the A gameplan. Toney can FIGHT hard inside and he has a chin of granite...even fat and old and out of shape. I have seen him fight through his career and sparring at the gym I grew up in...Kronk. The guy is nasty dude.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
No. The clinch is NOT Randy's world with Toney. I am well aware of the clinch systems being different. But up close....Toney is slick. Ya he isn't used to elbows but don't think that shit doesn't happen in sparring sessions with new and upcoming fighters. Randy goes in close...he is AT RISK of getting a rolled uppercut to his already shaky head. Up close is not good for randy. He needs to go OUT OF HIS COMFORT ZONE and shoot from the outside, secure a single and take him down and control from the ground. That is the A gameplan. Toney can FIGHT hard inside and he has a chin of granite...even fat and old and out of shape. I have seen him fight through his career and sparring at the gym I grew up in...Kronk. The guy is nasty dude.
Yeah, I don't know. There's a world if difference between a boxers clinch and a greco roman wrestlers clinch. Even his trainers say he needs about 6 inches. Randy will have no problem leaning on him and pressing him against the cage. You try to swing on a wrestler in the clinch, and you get picked up and slammed. In boxing, Toney never had to worry about any of that. He's probably good at dirty boxing, but in mma, that has to be in conjunction with take down defense. It's a completely different world. If Toney pulls this off, it's not going to be in the clinch. That I'm sure of.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I agree 100%.

It's not impossible for Toney to win. I give him a 30-60 sec window at the start of the fight to land a KO.

If Toney doesn't land it he's screwed. Couture is an Olympic alternate Greco-Roman wreslter. If Randy can ragdoll guys like Vera and Gonzaga in the clinch James Toney isn't going to present any problems.

The only question is whether Randy wants to make Toney tap due to strikes or choke him out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The biggest point is this fight means NOTHING but dollars for Zuffa. NO fighter (boxer, MMA, Karate, etc) thinks this answers any question. It is a boxer in an MMA fight. Care. Just like hopkins said; take Couture and put him in with toney boxing....people wouldn't even postulate a minuscule chance that Randy could get lucky. Boxing is super specific and has hundreds of years of specificity and tweaking to it's style and "mix" to create champs. Its a totally different world.

For me...this is a LOSE/LOSE for MMA. If Couture wins; it really just emphasizes the fact that they are doing anything to promote at the expense of REAL MMA fighter's credibility. A boxer would be disgusted if he was not able to fight another boxer because the promoters decided to pull a Rocky 3 and bring in a wrestler for a boxing match. It's just a freak show.

Now, if the small chance Toney wins....it doesn't show "boxing is better than MMA" but it does show the sport needs deeper talent and still has some years left to really find the right type of training and mix of fighting styles to truly dominate combat sports. There is NO reason that any SINGLE modality should "win" in MMA...that was already done 20 years ago with the original UFC's. A pure boxer has no reason to be in the cage with an MMA fighter. A jack of all trades but a master of none in HIS home court will beat a Master of ONE. Randy talking about how this is the "first wave of boxers to come to MMA" is bologna. It's not a circus act. MMA will be based on 5 year old kids training Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling and boxing for 20 years before they get a chance to fight on TV in 20 years. It won't be for athletes from other sports who can't cut it anymore so they are trying "sumthin new." As much as I like Randy, it was a put down to the sport and FUTURE of MMA by implying other athletes will flock to make the transition. MMA fighters will be trained early on in a lot of disciplines if they will have a chance. The days of seeing one base style "mixed" with a few other styles and winning fights are soon over. At least I hope so...for the sake of the sport. Because if they aren't...Toney really does have a chance.

Wow..rant. It's too late. Bed time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts