Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fan of both guys and happy for Frankie, but I think BJ would have a case. Fight metric shows Penn landed more and Penn definitely won some of the rounds, I was shocked it went to Frankie to be honest.

Also, what happens in a rematch?

I think all BJ has to do is take Edgar down and the fight wont go to a decision.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
No I think Frankie did more to win the decision, although one judge scored it 50-45 [wtf?]. The reason BJ didn't take Edgar down is because he couldn't time him properly. Not sure bout rematch, but what I think is more interesting is Edgar's next fight, which should be Kenny Florian.

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
Did you notice Danas facial expression when Buffer read out 50/45. He was like wtf!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I think Frankie did more to win the decision, although one judge scored it 50-45 [wtf?]. The reason BJ didn't take Edgar down is because he couldn't time him properly. Not sure bout rematch, but what I think is more interesting is Edgar's next fight, which should be Kenny Florian.
Fair enough. It was close, and I need to watch it again to say for sure but I was expecting BJ to get the decision, he was countering beautifully in the earlier rounds.

I really want to see Frankie avenge his loss to Maynard. Considering Maynard is undefeated and hasn't had a shot yet, I think he should get it before Florian.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Fair enough. It was close, and I need to watch it again to say for sure but I was expecting BJ to get the decision, he was countering beautifully in the earlier rounds.

I really want to see Frankie avenge his loss to Maynard. Considering Maynard is undefeated and hasn't had a shot yet, I think he should get it before Florian.
Yeah Maynard deserves a shot too, both interesting match ups.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just watched the fight again. And I believe BJ did enough to earn a immediate rematch. I scored the fight 3 rounds to 2 for Frankie, but because it was so close and the fight was outside half way around the world in unbearable humidity and heat, I think they should both fight again in Air Conditioning in the states lol, perhaps in NJ.

Round 1 was close, BJ controlled the center of the ring and countered with his Jab, Frankie was still warming up, but he did connect and cut bj near the end of the round. Perhaps the judges saw this and decided Frankie's strikes caused more damage and gave Edgar the round? I gave the round to BJ, he was cut but he controlled the round.

Round 2 was close, I believe BJ landed more shots in this round, and although frankie was mixing it up, I think BJ won the standup war in this round, however if you remember frankie scored a QUICK TAKE DOWN near the END of ROUND 2. Perhaps the judges saw this and scored it for Edgar, the take down was so quick and nothing happened though I would of given it to BJ,

Round 3 I believe we saw Frankie go into 6th gear, and BJ seemed to be stuck in 4th for the rest of the night. Perhaps it was the heat or the knee or his cardio, but he just couldn't keep up with the Pace and movement. Although BJ landed his strikes I believe Frankie Landed a few more and mixed it up more. At the end of the round BJ had WAY MORE noticeable swelling under his eyes and a small cut, while Frankie had some swelling and welts on his right side, his face looked much cleaner. I scored it for Frankie.

Round 4 BJ controlled the first minute or two of the round landing a lot of jabs and other strikes, but Frankie continued to move at the same pace while BJ started to tire. Frankie started to Outwork BJ, throwing head kicks and every other strike possible mixing it up well. Frankie would shoot for a takedown in this round, and instead of BJ countering with strikes like he did in round 1, instead he only stuffed it and Frankie would land 2 strikes on the way out. BJ continued to land hard strikes but Frankie countered by pushing him against the cage and continue to outwork BJ. BJ looked visible exhausted as he went back to corner and his facial expressions weren't so good. Round to Frankie.

Round 5 both came out and had success early, but again Frankie just put it into 6th gear and scored a takedown, this time however BJ didn't spring back to his feet right away, Frankie was able to posture up and land a right from the top. BJ gets up, and it was more of the same. Both having some success with strikes, but Frankie outworking BJ. BJ started to have some success near the end but frankie came back strong and ended the fight with a flury followed by a standing body lock and then moved to taking BJ's back as the bell sounded. Round Frankie.

I scored it 3 rounds to 2 for frankie, but I can see how a judge might see a Cut In round 1 on BJ, and then Frankie taking BJ down in the second, and scored those two for him.
Also you could argue BJ won the first 3 rounds, as they were close and he controlled the center of the octagon. But I like to think of the winner as the guy who finishes the fight and who would win if the fight kept going, and this was clearly Frankie.

The entire fight was competitive, Frankie simply out worked and stole the fight from BJ.

The fight was close but I believe Frankie did more than enough to take the belt from the champion with 2 take downs and BJ's face clearly busted up, as well as clearly outworking BJ.

I think a second fight will probably be even closer, back in Air Conditioning with BJ hopefully healthy and 100% trained for a Cardio type of fight. What is really scary is both of these guys will probably come back as better fighters than they were tonight. Lightweight just has so much freaking talent, skill wise they are light years ahead of higher weight classes, which is why BJ used to be able to fight at Heavyweight and WW lol.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
BJ will call for it immediately. I think his knee is messed up and he probably shouldn't have taken the fight but I think he genuinely respects Edgar and probably remembers what it was like to win the title the first time and didn't want to rain of Frankie's parade.

Reactions: Mckeever

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
BJ will definitely call for it here in the next few days. But I'd actually like to see Edgar defend the title, have BJ destroy a contender, then get his fight. Keeps the division interesting.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
After the third round his corner very clearly tells BJ to take it to the ground. I'm wondering why this didn't happen.. a few years ago I'd have thought its just BJ being stubborn/arrogant but like toxic has pointed out I wonder if his knee was in poor shape. Didn't try to shoot once.

The ground is where I think he has a significant advantage.

How awesome is Edgar though.. constant movement and crisp boxing mixed with perfectly timed shots to keep Penn guessing.. so impressed.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I hope it goes something like this. Give Edgar a top contender just to see if he can defend or so the belt can possibly go into new hands because if you let BJ have him right away...it will be in his grasp for a long long time again.

While this is going on, let Penn take a break from MMA and get healthy..dunno how bad if at all he was injured. He can still train but he will have a shot at the belt within the next 8-10 months.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
BJ should call for the rematch any day now and I really want to hear the reasoning for the guys who are against it. BJ deserves the shot more then anyone in the division and its not even close. Maynard will get his shot against the winner.

·
Banned
670 Posts
I hope it goes something like this. Give Edgar a top contender just to see if he can defend or so the belt can possibly go into new hands because if you let BJ have him right away...it will be in his grasp for a long long time again.

While this is going on, let Penn take a break from MMA and get healthy..dunno how bad if at all he was injured. He can still train but he will have a shot at the belt within the next 8-10 months.
Yeah and everyone said he was unbeatable:thumb02: Now he will be unbeatable starting....NOW

·
Registered
155 Posts
BJ wasent the BJ we are used to see in the las two matches, i dont know what happend to him, at the end he was tired, if the bj that fought sanchez was therer yesterday other things wouldve happend.

I heard he was injured,is that true? or is a typical excuse of a fan?

Anywyas iam well happy for Frankie!WELL diseerved , and good for the division aswell.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
BJ respects Edgar and probably he will mention something like he thinks he did enough to take the decision...but this is fighting and you don't have to leave it in the hands of the judges. And he will like to fight Edgar again. That's how i see it.
I think he will have to take another fight before fighting for the title again.
My prediction is:
Edgar - Floarian
BJ - Maynard (Maynard somewhat avoided a title fight with BJ so i don't think he will get the first shot at Edgar)
Winner vs Winner for the title.
But..who knows?

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Does he even want to fight at 155 anymore? Everyone knows that the judging was awful so it doesn't really matter. If his leg really was hurt like it looked to be then it means he would convincingly beat Frankie in all 5 rounds next time instead of just the first 2. Does anyone really want to watch that?

Should BJ really care about avenging that loss or would it just be better to let 155 have a champion who got a win over him and move on to bigger better challenges. BJ doesn't hate Frankie like he does Pulver and Hughes and doesn't consider him a cheater like GSP. I see him just letting it go and moving up to WW. It is a convenient divorce for him and the 155 division.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts