Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about this one ... although the event can be watched on PPV nationwide, is it true that most states still have outlawed what they call "extreme" fighting? I think the UFC got a bad rap from the early days when it was bare knuckle street fighting, lock a small guy in with another weighing like 50 pounds more. I think some of the politicians don't see this as a legitimate sport ... MMA will be always held back if this is the case

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
Just wondering about this one ... although the event can be watched on PPV nationwide, is it true that most states still have outlawed what they call "extreme" fighting? I think the UFC got a bad rap from the early days when it was bare knuckle street fighting, lock a small guy in with another weighing like 50 pounds more. I think some of the politicians don't see this as a legitimate sport ... MMA will be always held back if this is the case

I don't know, my state (Washington) kicked out Toughman competitions, but we allow cage fighting. We actually always have ametuer mma

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
I think it's more that they aren't sanctioned in many states. To say that it's banned makes it sound like they had it going and made them stop.

It has become a very legit sport and with that comes governing bodies. Not all states sanction it but it's growing fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.