Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about this one ... although the event can be watched on PPV nationwide, is it true that most states still have outlawed what they call "extreme" fighting? I think the UFC got a bad rap from the early days when it was bare knuckle street fighting, lock a small guy in with another weighing like 50 pounds more. I think some of the politicians don't see this as a legitimate sport ... MMA will be always held back if this is the case

·
Registered
253 Posts
Many parts of Canada don't allow it either... That is why many of us consider Montréal, Quebec to be the fight capital of Canada... of course, you can still practice it...

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
Just wondering about this one ... although the event can be watched on PPV nationwide, is it true that most states still have outlawed what they call "extreme" fighting? I think the UFC got a bad rap from the early days when it was bare knuckle street fighting, lock a small guy in with another weighing like 50 pounds more. I think some of the politicians don't see this as a legitimate sport ... MMA will be always held back if this is the case

I don't know, my state (Washington) kicked out Toughman competitions, but we allow cage fighting. We actually always have ametuer mma

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
I think it's more that they aren't sanctioned in many states. To say that it's banned makes it sound like they had it going and made them stop.

It has become a very legit sport and with that comes governing bodies. Not all states sanction it but it's growing fast.

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Ya it's a sanctioning problem. Old schwatzanegger (i have no idea how it's spelled) did a lot for it in cali.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.