Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Pride last night and I got to thinking about how in shape Pride fighters had to be, and then compared it to how most fighters gas around round 2-3.

I dont think many fighters would be able to handle the 10minute first round of Pride, and if they did... They wouldnt get passed mid-way second round.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was watching Pride last night and I got to thinking about how in shape Pride fighters had to be, and then compared it to how most fighters gas around round 2-3.

I dont think many fighters would be able to handle the 10minute first round of Pride, and if they did... They wouldnt get passed mid-way second round.
I think this relates to a thread I made a little while back. I didn't like how the UFC had fights the day after weigh ins because it allowed fighters to cut a lot of weight and then gain it back. However, someone mentioned that Japanese fighters don't really cut weight. The reason may be because they fight for 10 minute rounds and if they cut weight like in America, they'd be gassed. Cutting weight would favor strength while not cutting weight favors cardio.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Fighters train to fight in the round system of the promotion they fight in. the UFC has 3 (or5) five minute rounds. Pride started with a 10 minute round, so fighters probably trained to deal with that.

That said, 10 minutes of constant fighting, without a failsafe time stop in 5 minutes, would probably effect a lot of guys negatively. But fighters now are such amazing athletes, that only the ones who already don't stress cardio would be beatem by the system, rather than the apponent.

I loved the Pride system. A fight changes drastically with ten minute first rounds. From a fan's perspective, it's great.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
It would be quite interesting to see 10 minute rounds in the UFC, but since the 5 minute round is specified by the unified rules of MMA I guess it won't happen anytime soon (anyone knows whether there is any safety reasons behind this?). Maybe the UFC aren't very interested in showcasing tanked fighters either.

Another thing from Pride that would make a lot of sense would be to score the bouts in their entirety instead of round-by-round. That _should_ get rid of some of the most questionable decisions imo.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Heh I would rather have them get rid of elbows and allow kneeing to downed opponents.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I think some people forget how fighters often would be gassed and the first rounds often slowed near the end in Pride. I guess its easy to forget when you only go back and watch the classics.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I think some people forget how fighters often would be gassed and the first rounds often slowed near the end in Pride. I guess its easy to forget when you only go back and watch the classics.
This^^^^

I've watched 7 episodes of Best of Pride today to clean out the DVR. The pace for a lot of fights that went beyond the first round was much slower than anything we see now in the UFC.

But a I also see a lot of the fighters with more killer instinct.

Currently watching Big Nog vs Hendo. Dan is really doing quite well. Hendo is a tough somna bitch.....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Have to remember that alot of Pride fighters juiced like hell too, so ufc fighters (while some of them use steroids etc. too) are more legit than old Pride guys were. Then again, there were obviously guys with similiar/better work ethic than guys like Sherk, Franklin, GSP etc. have so its not fair to say all the crazy cardio freaks in Pride did it by cheating either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.