Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I train BJJ in Connecticut.....you really just have to start with the basics and work your way up. Its not easy, or quick, so dont expect to be in the UFC in a year haha.....good luck, any other questions just ask

·
Banned
495 Posts
Im not sure how old you are if your in highschool join the wrestling team.

Im still in school ive done 4 years of Ju Jitsu 6 months of boxing and wrestling since i was 11 but when i get out.you should go to a BJJ school that you have heard is good maybe go to a few comp's and ask what's a nice place.Then work your way up from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Around where I live amateur MMA tournaments are held pretty regularly. With the proper training you could fight in amateur bouts for as long as it takes to get noticed.

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
How to start Fighting?

Walk up to someone and punch them in the face. :D J/K

You have to start at the bottom. Get the basics down and don't stick to one style. Try to be a well rounded fighter, learn stand up and work on the ground and pound. Join wrestling if you are in High School, eventually if you are good enough you will get recognized.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
I Recently Met Tito..and I Asked Him The Same Question , And He Said The First Thing That I Should Do Is Work On Your Basic Striking..learn Good Footwork And Develop Ur Hands..and Than Once U Have Done That To Get Into A Form Of Grapling..jiu Jitsu ***** Ect...im 23 And I Didnt Wrestle In High School Either But Ive Taken A Few Basic Jui Jitsu Classes, And Id Liketo Get Serious About It..does Anyone Know How Quickly U Can Start To Really Get A Grasp Of Of Jui Jitsu..because Even If I Just Go To Fight In A Small Show I Dont Want To Go In Without Enough Experience And Get My Self Embarrased..basically Im Asking How Much Training Would I Need B4 I Decide To Fight In One Of The Small Shows

·
Registered
32 Posts
jdun11 said:
I Recently Met Tito..and I Asked Him The Same Question , And He Said The First Thing That I Should Do Is Work On Your Basic Striking..learn Good Footwork And Develop Ur Hands..and Than Once U Have Done That To Get Into A Form Of Grapling..jiu Jitsu ***** Ect...im 23 And I Didnt Wrestle In High School Either But Ive Taken A Few Basic Jui Jitsu Classes, And Id Liketo Get Serious About It..does Anyone Know How Quickly U Can Start To Really Get A Grasp Of Of Jui Jitsu..because Even If I Just Go To Fight In A Small Show I Dont Want To Go In Without Enough Experience And Get My Self Embarrased..basically Im Asking How Much Training Would I Need B4 I Decide To Fight In One Of The Small Shows
i dont mean to get off topic and not to be an ass or anthing, but do u actually hold the shift key down for the first letter of every wordwhen u type??:dunno: :confused:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
thats pretty impressive if he does....and a big waste of time lol.....i train at Gracie JiuJitsu and have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of the legendary family, minus Royce, although if he did come in he would probably barage us with " dis iz my houz, i bild id" lol......but they have shown me some good things, very helpful, and I even got tapped out by Rickson haha thats my claim to fame

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
hahaha, nah i dont hit the shift key..for sum reason whenevr i post something it comes up like that..i have no clue why

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
jdun11 said:
Part of it all depends on you and your natural skill level and how hard you train.. you might be ready for amature events in less then a year.. or it might take 3-4... all depends on how well you grap the knowledge and learn to apply it. but I would say at least a year for an amature event

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
really a year?? i was thinking longer..i guess ill see where im at in a year and see how i do against the guys i train with that have more experience..how much will it hurt my chances if go out and lose 2 small shows right away..im sure thats not a good thing

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
jdun11 said:
really a year?? i was thinking longer..i guess ill see where im at in a year and see how i do against the guys i train with that have more experience..how much will it hurt my chances if go out and lose 2 small shows right away..im sure thats not a good thing
well like I said it all depends on your skill and everything.. If I were going to compete With where I am at I could be competeing in 6 months.. but well I have lots of other expereince in martil arts. not sure what you have.. but for an amature event if you train sersiously I would say one year minimum.. 1-3 on average.. it all deepnds on your expereince level and how hard you train

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
The Don said:
well like I said it all depends on your skill and everything.. If I were going to compete With where I am at I could be competeing in 6 months.. but well I have lots of other expereince in martil arts. not sure what you have.. but for an amature event if you train sersiously I would say one year minimum.. 1-3 on average.. it all deepnds on your expereince level and how hard you train
WHAT OTHER MARTIAL ARTS BACK ROUNDS DO U HAVE..I REALLY DONT HAVE ANY I MEAN IVE TAKIN A COUPLE INRTO TO JUI JITSU CLASSES BUT THOSE WE LIKE ONE WEEK TRIAL THINGS ..SO BASICALLY I HAVE NONE..I MEAN IM ATHLETIC IVE PLAYED FOOTBALL MY WHOLE LIFE JUST GOT DONE PLAYIN DIV 2 IN COLLEGE SO IM IN GOOD SHAPE.IM JST CONCENED WITH MY WEIGHT CLASS,CUZ IM KINDA BULKED UP FROM FOOTBALL IM LIKE 5 10 205, I COULD NEVER FIGHT AT 205, TALLER GUYS WOULD PICK MY ASS APART..NOT REALLY LOOKIN FORWARD TO CUTTIN 20 POUNDS, ARE THE SMALL SHOWS WEIGHT CLASSES THE SAME AS THE UFC..I WISH THERE WAS A 195 WEIGHT CLASS..EVENTUALLY IM SURE I COULD GET DOWN TO 185 BUT I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE GET A LIL BANGED UP BY THE BIG BOYS A 205 FOR AWILE

·
Registered
161 Posts
So I am only turning 16 and wants to start fighting but my parents won't get me into classes because they don't support me in that career, the only thing I am doing is high school wrestling which isn't enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
LightweightFighter said:
So I am only turning 16 and wants to start fighting but my parents won't get me into classes because they don't support me in that career, the only thing I am doing is high school wrestling which isn't enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?
yea man ur only 16, so id definatley take up wrestling..y not it cant hurt..u learn the ropes of grappling and when ur 18 you can choose what u want to get into martial arts wise..my one regret is not taking wrestling in high school

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
jdun11 said:
WHAT OTHER MARTIAL ARTS BACK ROUNDS DO U HAVE..I REALLY DONT HAVE ANY I MEAN IVE TAKIN A COUPLE INRTO TO JUI JITSU CLASSES BUT THOSE WE LIKE ONE WEEK TRIAL THINGS ..SO BASICALLY I HAVE NONE..I MEAN IM ATHLETIC IVE PLAYED FOOTBALL MY WHOLE LIFE JUST GOT DONE PLAYIN DIV 2 IN COLLEGE SO IM IN GOOD SHAPE.IM JST CONCENED WITH MY WEIGHT CLASS,CUZ IM KINDA BULKED UP FROM FOOTBALL IM LIKE 5 10 205, I COULD NEVER FIGHT AT 205, TALLER GUYS WOULD PICK MY ASS APART..NOT REALLY LOOKIN FORWARD TO CUTTIN 20 POUNDS, ARE THE SMALL SHOWS WEIGHT CLASSES THE SAME AS THE UFC..I WISH THERE WAS A 195 WEIGHT CLASS..EVENTUALLY IM SURE I COULD GET DOWN TO 185 BUT I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE GET A LIL BANGED UP BY THE BIG BOYS A 205 FOR AWILE
started with
Judo when I was about 5 or 6.. took that for a couple years
Then I studied some Muay Thai, Capoeria, and Japanese style jujitsu with freinds who studied those arts
THen I took Ninjitsu but the instructor taught us other styles as well more jujitsu as well. I also practiced with some of the guys on my school wrestling team.
I have also studided a few forms of kempo ( I do not recall the style off hte top of my head I have it at home,) but its focus was more of the samurai arts, alot of Akido mixed in from what I understand.
Then since then I have studided a little Inshryu(sp?) and Tang Soo Do.
granted this is over basicly a 23 year period, plus I have played hockey, soccer, baseball, tennis lacrosse football and all kinds of other sports

1 - 20 of 23 Posts