Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this one isn't gonna happen, but I wonder what would happen if someone like Arlovski fought Wladimir Klitchko ... forget about takedowns, etc ... just talking about pure stand up, boxing skills .. are there any MMA fighters out there that could hang with the elite? I know there are MMA fighters that are/have been professional boxers, kick boxers, etc., but is there anyone who could strike with people like Hasim Rahman, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver? My guess is no, since boxers focus 100% of their energy on standup boxing skills .. still you'd like to see Anderson Silva go up against Antonio Tarver just to see what would happen!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well thats like saying how would Football players do against Baseball players at baseball just because both run during the game. In a pure boxing match, the boxers would kill them. But I suppose that might depend on which gloves they wear as well.

Either way its not a legit comparison, and we all know how well pure boxers do in the MMA, they dont.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Alot of MMA fighters have been boxers.

Jens Pulver was a VERY VERY big boxer a while back, he was actually nationally ranked in the top 5 for his weightclass i believe.

Same with Chris Lytle and a bunch of other fighters.

I think the one sidedness to it (just punching) can frusterate MMA fighters though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious that the boxers would win in boxing and the mma would win in MMA.... boXing is a very different art than mma and I doubt many of the UFC guys could trade hands 12 rounds with a pro

·
Registered
607 Posts
Most MMA guys would get knocked the f**k out in seconds.

I laugh every time I see one of these so called "champion" UFC guys come running in arms flailing...3 punches from a pro and that would be the end.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
Ok, this one isn't gonna happen, but I wonder what would happen if someone like Arlovski fought Wladimir Klitchko ... forget about takedowns, etc ... just talking about pure stand up, boxing skills .. are there any MMA fighters out there that could hang with the elite? I know there are MMA fighters that are/have been professional boxers, kick boxers, etc., but is there anyone who could strike with people like Hasim Rahman, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver? My guess is no, since boxers focus 100% of their energy on standup boxing skills .. still you'd like to see Anderson Silva go up against Antonio Tarver just to see what would happen!!!!
Even though we would know who would win. still... i'd love to see it. I'm not sure if many of your know, but Tyson tried for the UFC. He didn't get past the trial stages, however, many of us wonder what would have happened if he was in his prime.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
blackskimmer said:
Well thats like saying how would Football players do against Baseball players at baseball just because both run during the game.

hahahahahahahaha very true.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sherdog said:
Even though we would know who would win. still... i'd love to see it. I'm not sure if many of your know, but Tyson tried for the UFC. He didn't get past the trial stages, however, many of us wonder what would have happened if he was in his prime.
Tyson tried for the UFC? When was that?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mrbalkie said:
bad thread, old topic on every mma forum out there.
Forgive me master MMA expert, this is the first forum I've ever joined like 1 week ago - just don't post if you don't like the thread .. it's that simple

·
Registered
224 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
Forgive me master MMA expert, this is the first forum I've ever joined like 1 week ago - just don't post if you don't like the thread .. it's that simple
Sorry man, This topic has just been around alot. I appoligise.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
any proffesional boxer would destroy an mma fighter in a boxing match because 100% of their training goes towards their standup. but if you reverse the situation boxers would get destroyed in an mma match. so therefore its not really right to compare the two.

·
Registered
464 Posts
the better question is...Would a UFC guy win vs a boxer in kick boxing match.

That makes it more even. Carlos Baldimir vs Melvin Guillard or Kenny Florian would be a good match.

It's not fair to put him against sherk when he's giving up such a weight advantage.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
Tyson at his worst could beat anyone in the UFC at their best.
Thats what everyone said about Danny Williams and that tall guy, Kevin whats his name.:laugh: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts