Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw the fight this weekend where Big Tim defeated marius, a rising potential UFC star and lets not forget the WORLDS STRONGEST MAN. He outmustled the WORLDS STRONGEST MAN. He deserves a lot of credit. Nah, on a serious note, trolling aside, he didn't look overly impressive against a very inexperienced opponent, even though he did destroy him.
Anyway he stated that he would like to return to the UFC, which is probs unlikely after he ditched the UFC and jumped to affliction in the past. If he did make his way back to the UFC how do you think he would do against some of the heavyweights. I can name a list:-

gonzaga
kongo
nogueira
duffee
russow
mcsweeney
nelson
couture
lesnar
carwin
dos santos
toney
hague
struve
mitrione
cain
mir
crocop
pat barry
brendon sch....

There are probs more that could be added. Anyway, i think he would lose to a lot of that list, but lets be fair Sylvia was once dominant and had good wins over monson, arlovski, ricco,vera. I think he could beat some of that list, Mcsweeney, struve, hague,crocop etc. What are your guys thoughts? Would he fair better in strikeforce?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wouldnt be suprised that he would be signed to strikeforce by the end of this year.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just saw the fight this weekend where Big Tim defeated marius, a rising potential UFC star and lets not forget the WORLDS STRONGEST MAN. He outmustled the WORLDS STRONGEST MAN. He deserves a lot of credit. Nah, on a serious note, trolling aside, he didn't look overly impressive against a very inexperienced opponent, even though he did destroy him.
Anyway he stated that he would like to return to the UFC, which is probs unlikely after he ditched the UFC and jumped to affliction in the past. If he did make his way back to the UFC how do you think he would do against some of the heavyweights. I can name a list:-

gonzaga
kongo
nogueira
duffee
russow
mcsweeney
nelson
couture
lesnar
carwin
dos santos
toney
hague
struve
mitrione
cain
mir
crocop
pat barry
brendon sch....

There are probs more that could be added. Anyway, i think he would lose to a lot of that list, but lets be fair Sylvia was once dominant and had good wins over monson, arlovski, ricco,vera. I think he could beat some of that list, Mcsweeney, struve, hague,crocop etc. What are your guys thoughts? Would he fair better in strikeforce?
He'd be mid table in my opinion, apart from UFC'S top guys, Brock, Nogueria, Velasquez he'll have trouble, but could pull of a win against big guys that stand, e.g Carwin, possibly DUFEE but haven't seen much of his ground game yet.
A win against PUDZ isn't impressive, but liked the new thai clinch he's picked up on his travels.
A lot of people give him stick, but he's only lost against formerchampions with the exception of RAY MERCER, who's a former champ boxer, and if your caught by one of those, your going to sleep.
He started his career with a 16 fight win streak, and has beaten:
J.Monson
A.Arlovski
Wes Sims
J.Lambert
R.Rodriguez
Brandon Vera
Gan Mcgee
Mike Whitehead
Ben Rothwell
The guy deserves some respect even if he is an ass, and trains at Burger King by the look of his physique.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Id for one like to see him back in the UFC for some fights and see how does. He would have to lose all that fat that he has gained to reach 265 again he was 300pounds vs pud i think. Tho id also be happy for strike force to pick him up tim vis big foot or doom would be nice. One thing is certain tho he is never gonnna see the 500 k pay check he got in affliction again lol

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
He didnt look good in that fight recently vs that Polish weight lifter, he looked fat and out of shape. He would be a gatekeeper and no more, I dont think casual fans want to watch him that much anyway.

And to the person who is saying he could stand a chance against fighters like Carwin who like to stand, are you serious?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I for one think he could step into that mix and be a threat. What he needs is to shed some of that dough and get with a camp that's worth a damn. Is he still with MFS?

Anyway the guy is only 34 years old. He's still got a lot of fights left provided his body still holds up and those chicken legs don't fold in. What he needs is motivation (signing with SF or UFC helps)and good camp to train with.

If he could return to the Timmy from the 2nd fight with AA where he was lean and F'n hungry then I think the guy would do well in anywhere.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I could see him outside of the TOP 10 for sure. Maybe in the TOP 15. Big maybe.
The reason is, he hasn't improved his skills, in fact i think he lost some of his skills lately.
The number 1 reason for staying competitive is improving all the time. And Sylvia has failed at improving his game.

·
Banned
820 Posts
He says he wants to return to the UFC, or join SF. If he really wanted to make a full forced attempt at that he would already be in shape. Saying and doing are two different things. If you want to get into better promotions, why not look and be in shape like you want to be? He will not lose the weight he will only keep putting it on.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Dana White is trying to push MMA through as an elite athletic sport, so getting back a guy who looks like he has spent his last 6 moths on his sofa eating junk food and had his last good win 3 years ago isn't gonna happen. Tim needs to prove he is taking this seriously if he wants to get back to the UFC.

Plus there are SO SO SO many heavyweights with more potential, and frankly more skill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it's gonna be a long road for timmy. He has accomplished allot in his fighting career. He just needs to get focused and find a good camp to keep him strait. I don't think he will ever be the champ again. But he has some fight left in him for sure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Man, I have gone back and forth on Tim Sylvia for the last few years. What he really needs is a new training camp to add some new life on his career. I don't know where he is training now, but he needs to find one of these major trainers to fix some holes in his game/motivate him.

No matter what, he is a huge guy who can throw bombs and shake a lot of people off of him, he presents a lot of problems to different fighters.

Would he fair well? I really don't know, but if hes back in shape and motivated he can take some people out.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
I don't see him doing very well. He seems to have lost his dedication to the sport, which is evident by his complete lack of dietary restraint. He would need to seriously get some fire under his ass to motivate him.

However, I think he would have some serious trouble with Brock, Carwin, and Mir. They are the same weight as him, yet far more talented.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
gonzaga Loss
kongo Win
nogueira Loss
duffee Win
russow Win
mcsweeney Win
nelson Win
couture Loss
lesnar Loss
carwin Loss
dos santos Loss
toney Win
hague Win
struve Win
mitrione Win
cain Loss
mir Loss
crocop Win
pat barry Win
brendon sch.... Win
He would still do well in the UFC a great HW gatekeeper IMO....

I have him going somewhere around 12-8 against the guys you have listed.

I like the idea of Timmay signing with Strikeforce and most of all getting in better shape.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Tim gave us some memorable fights: His headkick KO on Telligman. His leveling of Ricco. His dramatic come from behind win in the 2nd Arlovski fight and his stand-up clinic on Cabbage. Truth is, he is past his prime and the hungry, powerful, technically sound HW's today in the UFC would own him. Going to Strikeforce would be a mistake as well. Their HW division also has some mean, young, talented dogs, not to mention his nemisis- Arlovski. this also includes veterans Overeem and the great Fedor at the peak of their game. Whatever Tim does, I wish him well...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tim Sylvia will never be back in the UFC. He got cut immediately after losing a title match. He's just like Matt Lindland. The UFC has been looking for any excuse to cut them.

It has nothing to do with their ability to compete in MMA. It has to do with the fact that 1) they don't look chiseled and 2) their fights are boring. Tim Sylvia could win his next 20 fights and Dana won't bat an eyebrow.

His only chance of getting back was beating Fedor. At that point, Dana would just sign him in order to put down Fedor, and would throw the worst matchups possible to beat Sylvia. As soon as he lost a bout, he'd cut him again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.