Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just for sh*ts, if hughes went up a weight division and liddell came down one and they fought in the mid. weight divison who do you guys think will win?:cheeky4: Barechested Muscle Wrestler Bodybuilder Arm
:thumbsdown: Wrestler Arm Wrestling Contact sport Professional boxer
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Liddel via KO. Hughes is shorter and has a shorter reach. Lidell would have the advantage. Some will prob argue that Hughes is a good wrestler and could take him down but I dont see it happening as Chuck is a very good at takedown defense. Even if Hughes did take him down Chuck would just find a way to stand right back up as we've all seen him do when he fought other great wrestlers.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
chuck would beat hughes and beat him badly...hughes isnt as good as tito, and tito couldnt take chuck down, this is a easy win for chuck, first round ko

·
Banned
186 Posts
I'm a big Hughes fan, but I think this is one fight he'd lose.

Chuck is getting older, and someday a younger kid will get him (Tito?) -but for now ... he's just too strong. Randy got pounded twice, and I think he's a good a wrestler as Hughes -only way bigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to spite the tone of the debate, I have to say hughes. Both are great fighters and I think matt is obviously a superior wrestler and much better on the ground. I think that if Matt used speed to his advantage, obviously being too seasoned to try and stand with chuck that he would eventually take chuck down and if not submit him at least keep him on his back. I think matt has more gas than chuck.

I can however see that chuck is an excellent kickboxer and matt would have to be careful.

·
Registered
176 Posts
jaymackz said:
^^ ...matt would have a hard time taking him down...chuck has a great take-down defense :)...and if matt did try to go in for a shoot...and did one mistake chuck would probably high kick him in the head then GnP :)
Yeah I mean Couture is an all american and could of competed in Olympics but even his wrestling wasnt enough to take down chuck and keep him grounded. LIke was said before... Chuck has great takedown defense and the few that do take him down, Chuck somehow always pops right back up. Hughes just isnt on the level of LHW greats like Silva, Liddell, Shogun, etc. BJ Penn vs Hughes 2 would be a good one and Hughes vs GSP of course. Either of those 2 have what it takes to beat Hughes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hughes would have one chance and one chance only. The same chance he had against BJ. Hope he gasses or gets hurt. Other than that it is a one sided beatdown.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Lol I wouldnt even give hughes a chance. He would have to take liddel down and that is very hard to do. If he tried standing with him he might get knocked out just as fast as Babalu. After the fight with Penn I realized how bad Hughes stand up really is.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
jaymackz said:
One Word: Liddell
damm straight! Liddell would knock Matt Hughes hair black!

·
Banned
31 Posts
no doubt liddell...if matt moved up to middleweight and tits ortiz moved down i think matt would have a good chance of beatin him

·
Registered
115 Posts
steveo412 said:
After the fight with Penn I realized how bad Hughes stand up really is.
Apparently, BJ disagrees with you. Below is an excerpt from an interview with BJ Penn after UFC 63.

Interviewer:
So you just fought Matt Hughes. Could you walk us through the first round?

BJ:
I felt good, I was happy that I was defending Matt's takedowns. I could see that Matt improved his standup. I wish I tried some takedowns, but other than that I was happy with it.

Interviewer:
You say he improved his standup. How?

BJ:
He was dodging my punches well, and he had a good jab.

BJPenn.com - Home of The Prodigy

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Conor said:
no doubt liddell...if matt moved up to middleweight and tits ortiz moved down i think matt would have a good chance of beatin him
no way watch the video of Tito vs Hughes in the ADCC, back in 2000...Tito beat him, and thats just grappling, so if Tito was allowed to use his huge size advantage(like 5-6 inches)he would just out box Matt than out wrestle him..Yea Hughes is a great wrestler, but Tito fights 35 pounds heavier than him, imagine wat Tito would do to those guys that Matt fights, cmon now..Hughes couldnt beat 75% of the current LWH

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Boo said:
Apparently, BJ disagrees with you. Below is an excerpt from an interview with BJ Penn after UFC 63.

Interviewer:
So you just fought Matt Hughes. Could you walk us through the first round?

BJ:
I felt good, I was happy that I was defending Matt's takedowns. I could see that Matt improved his standup. I wish I tried some takedowns, but other than that I was happy with it.

Interviewer:
You say he improved his standup. How?

BJ:
He was dodging my punches well, and he had a good jab.

BJPenn.com - Home of The Prodigy
Yah his stand up might be better but it is leagues below Liddels stand up, and when I watched that fight I thought he never connected nearly as well as BJ did on him until the 3rd round when BJ was sleeping on his feet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
steveo412 said:
Yah his stand up might be better but it is leagues below Liddels stand up, and when I watched that fight I thought he never connected nearly as well as BJ did on him until the 3rd round when BJ was sleeping on his feet.
Oh I agree with you there. No comparison to Liddell. I just watched the BJ/Hughes II fight a ridiculous amount of times and even did slo mo to see if punches were connecting or not. IMO, BJ may have threw more punches, but he did not connect with more in the first two rounds. His TD defense was impressive, but alas, no points are awarded for that. Sorry, I know I'm getting off topic. Just a sore point for me.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. If Hughes was crazy enough to gain weight to fight Liddell, he'd probably get KO/TKOed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Boo said:
Oh I agree with you there. No comparison to Liddell. I just watched the BJ/Hughes II fight a ridiculous amount of times and even did slo mo to see if punches were connecting or not. IMO, BJ may have threw more punches, but he did not connect with more in the first two rounds. His TD defense was impressive, but alas, no points are awarded for that. Sorry, I know I'm getting off topic. Just a sore point for me.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. If Hughes was crazy enough to gain weight to fight Liddell, he'd probably get KO/TKOed.
Oh yah he would be put to sleep in first round. I will believe you that hughes landed more but all BJs punches did alot more damage then hughes punches.

Same with BJ versus GSP. St piere landed more in the end but you could tell BJs did alot more damage just by the looks of them at the end of fight.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
This is ridiculous Liddell would knock his ass out. Matt stands no chance on hell. Matt would try a take down, Chuck would punch him in the face and thats it. Im %100 positive Chuck would win this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gonna play devil's advocate for a minute. Hughes walks around at ~195 from what I hear, and I imagine Lidell is normally well over the 205 limit he fights at. At 185 I would think Lidell would be in a lot worse shape than Hughes, having to drop 30-40 lbs for the fight. I think that would be enough to make it a very close fight.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
notoriousviv said:
Gonna play devil's advocate for a minute. Hughes walks around at ~195 from what I hear, and I imagine Lidell is normally well over the 205 limit he fights at. At 185 I would think Lidell would be in a lot worse shape than Hughes, having to drop 30-40 lbs for the fight. I think that would be enough to make it a very close fight.

Yah but pound for pound Liddel would be the easy winner.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Liddel would crush him, even at middleweight. With hughes having to gain weight and chuck having to sweat it off. The weight difference could be as much as 30 pounds on fight night.

Hughes couldn't take chuck down being smaller, and standing he'd last about as long as babloo did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts