Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the Hughes vs. GSP fight will happen in November at UFC 65. Hopefully, GSP will mop the floor with the country boy champion!

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
semiconductor said:
Is that official?
I am not sure! I read it on Sherdog that the fight was happening at UFC 65! It makes sense if you think about it! Wanderlai Silva and Chuck Liddell were suppose to fight on this card! Since that is off, all we had to look forward to was Frank Mir vs. Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia vs. Jeff Monson. GSP vs. Hughes will definitly make the 65 card worth watching!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just want to know one thing why does everyone think St. Pierre is going to stomp Hughes in the ground. St. Pierre has 1 loss on his record and it happens to be to Matt Hughes. And yes I do know St. Pierre has gotten a hell of a lot better since that fight but so has Hughes. St. Pierre would have to use good takedown defense to keep the fight standing. St. Pierre is not as good at submissions than Hughes. Their cardio is both really good and I think they both have an excellent ground n pound. St. Pierre by KO/TKO in 1st or 2nd round or Hughes by referee stoppage in 3rd or 4th round.

·
"Minotauro" Nogueira
496 Posts
This would be a smart move on UFC behalf. UFC 66 is going to get alot of buys just because of Liddel vs Ortiz 2. This also improves the card of UFC 65 and would boost up the ppv buys for it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Oh man, I hope this isn't true. If it happened in December that would have been the greatest PPV of all time while UFC 65 would have had a bad card. If its on UFC 65 that wouldn't be so good, it better be the main event instead of Sylvia .vs. Monson if at UFC 65.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chuck Liddel & Tito Ortiz have signed to fight again in ufc 66, that is official.

I guess it would be smart for gsp and hughes fighting in 65 because the main event is suppose to be tim syvia and jeff monson. Not very exciting if u ask me. There are rumors for some other pretty crappy undercards as well. Frank Mir and Vera... Frank Mir is a bum now. gsp and hughes would be a good event savior... but we'll see. Depending on how Hughes is feeling from his fight with bj penn, it may be too early for him to fight again. I highly doubt gsp and hughes will fight in 66... with tito and chuck. The ufc will probably wanna space out all their BIG fights... But It's possible in 65 to compensate for bad cards.

·
"Minotauro" Nogueira
496 Posts
I'm still going to order the card with or without Hughes vs GSP. I didn't think UFC 63 would be that good and it ended up being amazing. UFC 65 should really good or really bad. If the heavyweights are lazy and keep it lazy it will be pretty boring but if they give it there all it should be a decent.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I hope its on 66 that way I can get kind of a 2 for one deal if I get GSP/Hughes and Chuck/Tito on the same card. Then I just wont get 65 but if GSP/Hughes move to 65 I gotta buy them both.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The beating he took? I don't think we watched the same fight bro. Penn's face today probably looks like a hot air balloon. Anyway, Hughes vs. GSP will be in November. GSP even said that when he was interviewed last night. 64 looks less interesting to me that 65 or 66 for that matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
LOL Hillarious dudes! Beating he took! He did take some punches, but I think mostly to the nose, which is what was bleeding. Penn on the othe hand didnt have any blood that I coudl see, but I put money on his face lookign like a baloon! He took some pundage there when he couldnt do anythign but roll his head from side to side........

·
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY
5,066 Posts
rbunnell said:
The beating he took? I don't think we watched the same fight bro. Penn's face today probably looks like a hot air balloon. Anyway, Hughes vs. GSP will be in November. GSP even said that when he was interviewed last night. 64 looks less interesting to me that 65 or 66 for that matter.
if Silva vs. Franklin and Sherk vs. Florian doesn't excite you then you don't know much. That will be a great PPV. Franklin fighting is enough to buy it anyway.

BTW I am huge fan Ace.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
screenamesuck said:
If you try to say he didn't take a beating the first two rounds than you need to watch it again.
He didn't. I don't see why everyone says the fight was so lopsided, because it wasn't. I saw a very close fight between 2 guys for the first round and a half. Hughes got caught in a bad position, after he gave BJ a few solid elbows to coerce him to move. Hughes was already out of the Triangle choke before the bell rang (mostly because BJ lost it when he tried to transition into an Arm Bar). Then whatever BJ had left without a trace in the 3rd.

If he's completely medically cleared to fight and he takes it, so be it. If he was KO'd, TKO'd or otherwise injured, I'd disagree with that decision. But he's fine, so what am I going to say? I'm not a doctor.

But I do agree, in no way can this be used as fuel for an excuse if he loses. He could always opt out for more time. But if he did that, wouldn't everyone be turning around and say that he's ducking GSP? Ehhhh...

Either way he's screwed in the eyes of the 'net.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think they should have all Title fights on seperate cards. It would make for a great night to see 2 title fights in one night though. Tim said he told Dana last time if he wasn't main event, he would not fight, so you know he will have to be main event next time and not take a back seat to hughes/pierre. Which in itself would suck, but can't blame him in a way. I think these high caliber matches should be spaced out more, and people should stop whining and just pony up and pay for the fights. If they are true fans anyway. Me, I don't like paying every month, but I can't help it. I enjoy it, and I am not just going to sit back and hope someone else puts it on the net for free.

If they have Hughes/pierre the same night as Sylvia, I hope they main event, because after that, nobody will want to see Sylvia's match

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
This decision by the UFC bums me out a tad bit. You know how HUGE UFC 66 would have been with Liddell vs. Ortiz & GSP vs. Hughes headlining it? Wow. Can you say most PPV buys EVER? I definitely believe it would have been that huge because you know people will remember the little rivalry between Chuck & Tito...and Tito can damn sure sell a fight. And now, people want to see what Matt can do against a VERY confident Georges St. Pierre.

I have no doubts in saying it probably would have been FAR AND AWAY the best pay per view of 2006.

Oh well though. This is official though right? Or just speculation still...?

Lemme know guys. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.