1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July Title Match: Carwin vs. Lesnar

Next Title Shot: Velasquez

In the Mix: JDS, Mir, Nog, Big Country, Duffee

The next title shot belongs to Cain, so nobody above will get to fight for the title until early 2011 at the earliest. That being said, here’s how I’d do the next year of fights in the HW division. I included Duffee because he’s relatively unknown, but could shoot up the rankings with a pair of convincing wins in the next year. First fight I’d setup would be Mir/Nog II. The winner of this fight and the title fight would dictate the sequence of fights thereafter.

Scenario 1 (Mir wins/Carwin wins)
Mir/JDS fight for the next title shot
Duffee (assuming he wins his next fight) fights Nelson
Nog fights the loser of Duffee/ Nelson
Lesnar fights loser of Velasquez/Carwin

Scenario 2 (Nog wins/Carwin wins)
JDS gets the next title shot
Nog fights the winner of Duffee/ Nelson
Mir/Lesnar

Scenario 3 (Mir wins/Lesnar wins)
JDS fight for the next title shot
Duffee (assuming he wins his next fight) fights Big Country
Mir fights the winner of Duffee/Nelson
Nog fights the loser of Duffee/ Nelson

Scenario 4 (Nog wins/Lesnar wins)
JDS fight for the next title shot
Duffee (assuming he wins his next fight) fights Big Country
Nog fights the winner of Duffee/ Nelson
Mir fights the loser of Duffee/Nelson

This would help sort out the hierarchy of the division while preserving some interesting matchups (JDS/Mir, Lesnar/JDS, Nog/Nelson, Cain/Lesnar, etc.).

What would you change?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
For me the HW division is the most interesting in the UFC atm, i think cain has earned a shot at Brock/Carwin like you say.

If Brock were to lose to Carwin i got no interest in seeing him fight Mir again tbh.
Brock got the title so quickly to begin with i think he would need to REALLY earn a shot again if he loses to Carwin (that is if he loses conclusively), i'd put him down against a 5-10 guy like Nelson or Duffee to make sure he belongs at the top (he's hardly been on a GSP like rampage through the divison!)

Dunno where that leaves JDS though that is the only problem!

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
First sure Carwin gets the first title shot........an interim belt does not make him the champion.

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
u kinda forgot pat berry

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i can draw a pretty clear and easy picture

-------------------> Cain

-------------------> JDS

------ potential newcomers/Duffee/Cormier(he is gonna end up in the UFC)/current unknowns etc

-------------------> everybody else

welcome to 2011

things change fast at HW so 2011 could be very different, depending on who explodes on the scene. i have big hopes for Cormier personally, if he dedicates himself more fully to MMA.

hard to really plan matchups down the road like that, injuries and rematches etc.... need some more new blood to make the division more interesting.

one more top guy would be so nice.i really hope Duffee can fill the roll but im not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I just hope Cain doesnt sit out till he gets the winner of Carwin/Lesnar.

Sure he has a lot to lose like a title shot if he losses his next fight but the UFC can just hand him a lower tier fighter and play it safe.

If Cain does sit out he wont be fighting again till the end of this year and that is a long lay off.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I would like to see Cain fight JDS for a garunteed title shot sometime around Aug/Sept time, then would make a HW title bout between the winners of Carwin/Brock and Cain/JDS a great new years time main event.

Lets face it Cain and JDS are on an inevitable path where the two just have to collide, that would make one hell of a great co-main event.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I would like to see Cain fight JDS for a garunteed title shot sometime around Aug/Sept time, then would make a HW title bout between the winners of Carwin/Brock and Cain/JDS a great new years time main event.
The Cain JDS fight is gonna happen it just doesnt need to happen this year. It would be a bad move by the UFC to match up these 2 against each other as they are both high profile fighters currently. It would be a bad move to derail one of these hype trains IMO.......

I would like to see Carwin KO Lesnar, Cain beat Carwin and then Cain vs JDS for Cain's first title defense........

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The Cain JDS fight is gonna happen it just doesnt need to happen this year. It would be a bad move by the UFC to match up these 2 against each other as they are both high profile fighters currently. It would be a bad move to derail one of these hype trains IMO.......

I would like to see Carwin KO Lesnar, Cain beat Carwin and then Cain vs JDS for Cain's first title defense........
Can see the Business seance in not matching these 2 fighters together next, but lets face it things may not go to plan in that way should ether fighter take a loss at the hands of anyone else, like Carwin KO'ing Cain for example.

Thats why I would love to see the Cain/JDS fight next both guys everything to fight for with a title shot on the line, both full of confidence with having both raised the ranks simultaneously and coming of great wins, from a fan perspective there will never be a better time for these guys to fight than right now I feel, and if the UFC wants to give the fans the fights the want to see then this has to be high on the list. I think we will see this fight happen next for that reason, I hope they pull through, Dana owns us one dont forget after the Anderson performance :sarcastic10: this will make up nicely

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

Lets face it Cain and JDS are on an inevitable path where the two just have to collide, that would make one hell of a great co-main event.
Apparently Lesnar and Carwin are fighting in July. Man I would love a Cain/JDS fight on that card! Plus I agree, it's a very bad idea for Cain to sit out too long before fighting for the title. I'm just not sure he gets by JDS. But that would be a killer card. in fact, they should put a bunch of other HW's on it as well. Even Kimbo and Toney should be on there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.