Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Will you think that Overeem was overrated if Fedor and smb smashes him by TKO/KO?

• Of course, not, Overeem is legit and Fedor beat one of the best heavyweights

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Of course, yes, it's unacceptable to lose twice in a row

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • rather no

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • rather yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's funny, I don't remember people saying that Arlovski was such a loser with a glass chin, standing no chance against Fedor prior the fight on Affliction 2. Then he lost to Rogers badly and everyone started acting like he's a joke and Fedor's victory was basically preordained. When Fedor beat Rogers many people brought up a topic that Rogers is legit and he's a solid TOP 10 with good skills. Overeem beat him badly and people now think that Rogers=Alexander, a 1-2 fight sensation, nothing more. All that goes for Sylvia as well.

And I do agree to some degree with all that, but do you think that IF Fedor knocks out Overeem and Alistair loses the following fight also by TKO/KO, people will be saying that Alistair is a joke, doesn't belong nowhere near TOP 10 and Fedor's victory was preordained, just to discredit Emelianenko's another "W" again? Dana White will certainly do, but what do you think? To make it clearer let's say

-Fedor destroys Werdum by TKO/KO;
-Fedor beats Overeem via submission or TKO/KO and then Overeem loses to Bigfoot (or someone else in MMA) by TKO/KO in the first round. Will it be enough for the fans to discredit Fedor's victory?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Yes. That's exactly what will happen. Arlovski, Sylvia and Rogers were all three top competitors BEFORE Fedor beat them and even Rogers was considered Top 10 by most ranking sites. For the record: Werdum is also considered a Top 10 heavyweight fighter and so is Overeem. Even if Fedor beats them both there will be people who are saying he's not the best heavyweight on the planet. There will be people claiming Werdum is a UFC dropout and Overeem is a one dimensional kickboxer that was never that good to begin with. It's just the way things are since Fedor didn't join the UFC.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. That's exactly what will happen. Arlovski, Sylvia and Rogers were all three top competitors BEFORE Fedor beat them and even Rogers was considered Top 10 by most ranking sites. For the record: Werdum is also considered a Top 10 heavyweight fighter and so is Overeem. Even if Fedor beats them both there will be people who are saying he's not the best heavyweight on the planet. There will be people claiming Werdum is a UFC dropout and Overeem is a one dimensional kickboxer that was never that good to begin with. It's just the way things are since Fedor didn't join the UFC.
exactly. Lose-lose situation. Not matter whom you beat, if that happened outside of UFC, then "it doesn't count":) Fedor would get more credit,respect and exposure if he joined UFC and beat Cheick Kongo or he can still fight everyone who is not under UFC banner, never get recognition as the best HW and be considered an old-tmer from PRIDE who doesn't belong to TOP 5.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
It's funny, I don't remember people saying that Arlovski was such a loser with a glass chin, standing no chance against Fedor prior the fight on Affliction 2. Then he lost to Rogers badly and everyone started acting like he's a joke and Fedor's victory was basically preordained. When Fedor beat Rogers many people brought up a topic that Rogers is legit and he's a solid TOP 10 with good skills. Overeem beat him badly and people now think that Rogers=Alexander, a 1-2 fight sensation, nothing more. All that goes for Sylvia as well.

And I do agree to some degree with all that, but do you think that IF Fedor knocks out Overeem and Alistair loses the following fight also by TKO/KO, people will be saying that Alistair is a joke, doesn't belong nowhere near TOP 10 and Fedor's victory was preordained, just to discredit Emelianenko's another "W" again? Dana White will certainly do, but what do you think? To make it clearer let's say

-Fedor beats Overeem via submission or TKO/KO and then Overeem loses to Bigfoot (or someone else in MMA) by TKO/KO in the first round. Will it be enough for the fans to discredit Fedor's victory?

That's how MMA fans are.... Dan Henderson just ran through Rousiamr Palhares, Rich Franklin and Michael Bisbing.....

He loses to Jake Shields... and now he's "over the hill"

Gegard Mousasi lost to King Mo.... and now he's "overrated"

Brett Rogers lost to the two most dangersous HWs outside of the UFC and now he's "Houston Alexander"

Guess a loss in MMA negates all of your victories now days.....

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
^ I agree (although Henderson did not 'run through' Franklin)

MMA fans are a fickle bunch.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
^ I agree (although Henderson did not 'run through' Franklin)

MMA fans are a fickle bunch.
I hear ya bud but the "run" I used is in reference to his winning streak... I.E. title run... MW run... so on and so fourth..

And you do know... that if Fabricio is able to stop Fedor next month it's because Fedor was horribly overrated....;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...This thread proves that styles do make fights. To say that if Fedor loses to Werdum it makes him horribly overrated is WAY out of context. If Werdum was squashed by Dos Santos with 1 big punch, what's to say Fedor won't do the same thing? Against both Arlovski & Rogers, Emelianenko faced more tough adversity and still won by dramatic knockouts. It's amazing to me that everyone that has crossed Fedor's path has lost in convincing fashion. Doubters have eaten crow each time. Werdum has a chance to win. A very tiny one. If Fedor had no groundgame, Werdum could have a wrap. Fedor is the most well-rounded HW in the world, hands down. Proof is in the facts. I think if Fedor continues to beat every HW in the world, he'll still be an underdog in some people's eyes even though he's been the #1 ranked HW for years now. Crazy. I think with Fedor's top HW footwork, nasty 1 punch KO power, he'll time a big punch that will drop Werdum ending the fight. I think eventually Fedor will lose but for now, can't we just enjoy his humble dominance...?

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
...This thread proves that styles do make fights. To say that if Fedor loses to Werdum it makes him horribly overrated is WAY out of context.
That was really me being sarcastic.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts

First of all I already think Overeem is overrated. Secondly Sylvia and Arlovksi were guys who built their careers at time when the UFC had a very shallow HW division by fighting each other. Since the loss to Fedor Arlovski is 0-2. Sylvia has gone 2 wins against two no names and a loss to a guy who isn't a real mma fighter. Their steady decline is proving that they either were overrated or they are on the downside of their career. I don't think Overeem is a joke, but I don't think he's on Fedor's level. I think Fedor can get Overeem done and subbed fairly easily.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Fedor IMO, will not gain any more respect if he beats both Overeem and Werdum, the only way he gains any respect from the mainstream fans is if he fights Brock, Carwin, Velasquez etc he beat Arlovski who many believe to be a nobody after losing to Fedor, which is not uncommon, and Rogers who although relativly unkown is obvious has one heck of a right hand.
Anybody he wins against unless it's a current UFC fighter, will be considered inferior, the only way IMO, that he keeps the pound for pound king title amongst mainstream audience is to fight Brock etc, which isn't going to happen for some time IMO, if ever.
I think the Overeem fight itself presuming he beats WERDUM, will be in question due to the a-holes that run M1.

FEDOR's a great fighter, but staying with M1, is going to leave a lot of fans like me disappointed, as we'll not get to see the fights we really want to see, although i'd love to see the Alistair fight.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
Fedor is a great fighter however I don't consider him top dog like may people consider him to be. I thought Tim and AA were both not so good fighters even before the fought fedor because big Tim was fighting not to lose and AA got beat by him twice. As for overeem goes I have to admit I don't know much about him. All I do know is that I thin carwin Cain and Brock could beat him.

Mma fans seem to be like this when ever someone is going to fight fedor everything gets all hyped up and the talk about how good the fighter is make him seem better than he really is.

Fedor is a top five fighter but I don't consider him to #1.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The truth is people hate on Fedor for all the wrong reasons. They say he ducks fights, they say his opponents are not top bar, they say all this crap about him, but the truth is that he's simply a greedy piece of crap.

That's how it should be though, the guy hasn't lost ONE fight in his entire career, he carried the freaking olympic torch, he's fought the best at Pride, so I think he's worth the money he's asking for. It's a matter of the people at the UFC not wanting to give an inch to what Fedor is really trying to do with MMA, and that's get rid of leagues and make it more independant and fighter oriented(hence co promotion)

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
The truth is people hate on Fedor for all the wrong reasons. They say he ducks fights, they say his opponents are not top bar, they say all this crap about him, but the truth is that he's simply a greedy piece of crap.

That's how it should be though, the guy hasn't lost ONE fight in his entire career, he carried the freaking olympic torch, he's fought the best at Pride, so I think he's worth the money he's asking for. It's a matter of the people at the UFC not wanting to give an inch to what Fedor is really trying to do with MMA, and that's get rid of leagues and make it more independant and fighter oriented(hence co promotion)
I am just tired of all the bs. I want him to sign a 3 fight contract with the ufc. They give him a top conteder then if he wins let him fight the champ then we go from there so we can end this and prove or disprove the theory that he is the best. Also getting rid of companies would be a bad idea.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
My biggest problem is with the Arlovski thing. Most of his KO's were against power punchers like Sylvia, Fedor, and Rogers, but now all of the sudden he has a terrible chin. MMA fans are so quick to hop band wagons, it is insane.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
My biggest problem is with the Arlovski thing. Most of his KO's were against power punchers like Sylvia, Fedor, and Rogers, but now all of the sudden he has a terrible chin. MMA fans are so quick to hop band wagons, it is insane.
i wouldnt say that but i do belive that he is not nearly as good as the top fighters in the ufc present day.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts

People hate on Fedor for all the RIGHT reasons. If you're not gonna fight the best to prove you are the best what's the point? To fall back on your past accomplishments is not cowardly but something similar to it. His fans want to see him fight the best, his haters want to see him fight the best. I just want to see the discussion settled. It's been said a million times already but the UFC is not going to co-promote. That's ruining boxing and I don't want to see that happen to MMA and I doubt too many others would either. They would have made him the one of the highest paid fighters in the UFC. It's not about money with M-1 global.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I think Overeem is overrated now. He is tough no doubt but he has beaten a bunch of cans in MMA and Brett Rogers who looked mentally beat from the opening bell. Rogers fought like he had a game plan made up by a kid with down syndrome. I thought Rogers would push the pace and be aggressive instead he just let the obviously superior technical striker just stalk him down toss him on his back (only part that impressed me from Overeem). Overeem Brock Lesnar'd his way in K-1, he wasn't technically as good but he is physically so far ahead of the pack that it makes up for his lack of technique.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I think Overeem is overrated now. He is tough no doubt but he has beaten a bunch of cans in MMA and Brett Rogers who looked mentally beat from the opening bell. Rogers fought like he had a game plan made up by a kid with down syndrome. I thought Rogers would push the pace and be aggressive instead he just let the obviously superior technical striker just stalk him down toss him on his back (only part that impressed me from Overeem). Overeem Brock Lesnar'd his way in K-1, he wasn't technically as good but he is physically so far ahead of the pack that it makes up for his lack of technique.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I think someone with down syndrome could have come up with a better game plan.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts