Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not in terms of skill and technique, Brock still has a lot to learn in the standup and just in general.

I am talking about wins, I feel that Brock will hold the HW title like GSP is holding the WW title. GSP always takes you down and beats you with wrestling, Brock is the same way. Once Brock has his standup to a respectable level, Man oh man, are we ever going to see domination.

I am a GSP nut hugger, I do not mean to compare skills, GSP is a lot better in almost every category. GSP also uses his striking to setup his takedowns better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to hate brock, i mean i knew he was good but i did NOT like hime at all, but last night he gained my respect and i am aware that he could hold the belt for a while.

as a Valasquez fan, i dont see cain winning. He has the advantage in the standup but there is a big size difference and Lesnar should be able to take him down rather easily. But Cain is a good wrestler so who knows.

JDS is the man to beat Brock IMO

Reactions: Kado

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am talking about wins, I feel that Brock will hold the HW title like GSP is holding the WW title. GSP always takes you down and beats you with wrestling, Brock is the same way. Once Brock has his standup to a respectable level, Man oh man, are we ever going to see domination.
I believe this to be the case. I can't see how anyone will be knocking him off his perch in the foreseeable future. If his striking becomes crisp (I loved that knee he threw last night) and he continues to improve his submission game we're going to enjoy watching a new era of HW's. An era where people won't be saying that the skill is in other divisions.

Very awesome.

·
Banned
820 Posts
With Brock looking to finish fights with Subs now, and not just by GnP its kind of scary. With his strength if he sinks something in its going to stay locked in. Brocks game is ever evolving, and when he incorporates a good stand up game its going to be scary.

Reactions: Rauno

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Not in terms of skill and technique, Brock still has a lot to learn in the standup and just in general.

I am a GSP nut hugger, I do not mean to compare skills, GSP is a lot better in almost every category. GSP also uses his striking to setup his takedowns better.
That would suck.

Unlike GSP, Brock will finish fights, i don't see 5 rounds of laying on a guys, trying to improve position, a few soft strikes here and there, looking up at the clock.

·
Registered
239 Posts

No because Lesnar finishes his fights. I sure hope he doesn't become a GSP-like fighter.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys arent getting the point of my post, I said its all about the wins. GSP is a dominant wrestler and that is the only real comparison in both fighters. Lesnar will be the next GSP in the HW division in terms of being hard to beat, and holding onto the belt for a long long time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If he can get more comfortable on the feet and work on his defense then he won't lose for a long time. I think Velasquez has a shot to beat him because he has equal wrestling, better stand up and cardio. I think if he can get the 3rd round he could take over.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
In terms of his conduct, absolutely not, lol. GSP always says the right thing, Brock does the complete opposite, intentionally, to rile up the crowd.

What about inside the octagon? That's a great point: Brock does not feel comfortable standing and exchanging. Who would against Shane Carwin?!?

However, he's a beast of a wrestler, as is GSP.

I've always looked forward to Brock's submission game. Think about it: he has a tremendous wingspan, which gives him great leverage; he's extremely big and strong, which makes submission defense terribly problematic, and his arms are so thick a RNC or arm triangle would make an opponent tap almost immediately once it's sunk in.

This may be his first submission win, but it certainly will not be his last.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
In terms of his conduct, absolutely not, lol. GSP always says the right thing, Brock does the complete opposite, intentionally, to rile up the crowd.

What about inside the octagon? That's a great point: Brock does not feel comfortable standing and exchanging. Who would against Shane Carwin?!?

However, he's a beast of a wrestler, as is GSP.

I've always looked forward to Brock's submission game. Think about it: he has a tremendous wingspan, which gives him great leverage; he's extremely big and strong, which makes submission defense terribly problematic, and his arms are so thick a RNC or arm triangle would make an opponent tap almost immediately once it's sunk in.

This may be his first submission win, but it certainly will not be his last.
The first part of your post confuses me. There was one fight where the opponent ask for a got what he deserved.
Brock went overboard when he got in the guys face . Classless it was.

But in every other fight I have seen he was respectful and thankful etc.. What was objectionable last night?

The only people that could have been offended last night would be the Anti-Christs.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
GSP is light years ahead of Brock in terms of striking. Ever since Serra beat him, GSP simply fights to take the least damage and win by decision. He's slowly evolving into trying to finish fighters on the ground and probably will in his next fight.

Brock isn't going to beat many fighters standing and so he has to take them to the ground.

I understand the criticism of GSP but not of Brock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts