Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Do you like brawls?

• Only if they're exceptional and diverse strikers.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Only if it's a bloody war/goes back and forth.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Yup, toe-to-toe 4 life.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Never. this is MMA, bring on the take downs.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing against either fighter at all. I like a lot of their fights and they're both good.

But IMO this fight in specific was really a bad example of MMA. I think it's these fights that boxers and kickboxers make fun of MMA for.

They just stand and bang toe-to-toe. But neither is an exceptional striker...

I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority here but I definitely think these kind of fights are extremely boring. It could be a war, going back and forth, but when both fighters aren't too technical of strikers and they keep it completely standing the whole match... it definitely brings bad connotations to the word "brawl" for me.

LMFAO at Nate though, "I think we should get an apartment together, I miss your musk *big whiff*"

+rep to the Rock for making Rogan uncomfortable!

So what do you guys think? When two guys are just throwing sloppy fists and average kicks for most of 3 rounds does it excite you? Or only if it gets bloody/goes back and forth? Or not even then?

Please vote :thumb02:

·
Registered
520 Posts
well what youre describing is any fight with Pete Sell, I mean is the guy even still signed with the UFC, I only ever see him lose, the closes he came to winning was when he punched Scott Smith in the mid section and Smith played opossum, then KERPLOW!good trick by the way. Nate I don't mind nearly as much

But I feel what youre saying, pretty much like every fight so far on this season of TUF. I can't stand two guys who arent even good just swinging, throw in no cardio and im changing the channel

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well what youre describing is any fight with Pete Sell, I mean is the guy even still signed with the UFC, I only ever see him lose, the closes he came to winning was when he punched Scott Smith in the mid section and Smith played opossum, then KERPLOW!good trick by the way. Nate I don't mind nearly as much

But I feel what youre saying, pretty much like every fight so far on this season of TUF. I can't stand two guys who arent even good just swinging, throw in no cardio and im changing the channel
YES! This season of TUF is a great example. Another possibly contraversal mention is Forrest vs Bonnar II. Man what a snoozefest. Forrest vs Bonnar I wasn't quite as bad IMO because they both wanted it so bad, but still wasn't a great representation of MMA.

I forgot which great boxing announcer it was, but DW sent him his five favorite fights of all time. The boxing announcer said they were all boring. I'm pretty sure Forrest vs Bonnar was in the list, and I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure if they were all amazing fights like Nog vs Couture, the opinion would be much different.

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
How dare you besmirch the good name of Nate "The Stone" Quarry.

Nate had the perfect gameplan, had a nice ass plum clinch and executed some excellent boxing, not to mention kickboxing.

How dare he put on a show!

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
Sell's a blackbelt in doing nothing off his back and executing a guillotine, that he never uses.

Serra BJJ=Hey, you may suck off your back, but at least you can survive to lose a 30-27 decision. Oh yeah, and your wrestling is below average.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Haha, all good posts.

I guess it's that "putting on a show" mentality that can actually make a fight boring. Here's an example:

Lidell vs Wandy. Wandy's pride made him stand there and trade fists all night. We saw basically no muay thai from him. He didn't clinch and knee or throw a single elbow. He wanted to put on a show for Dana and the fans, and abandoned his training because of it - IMO.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
^ Haha, all good posts.

I guess it's that "putting on a show" mentality that can actually make a fight boring. Here's an example:

Lidell vs Wandy. Wandy's pride made him stand there and trade fists all night. We saw basically no muay thai from him. He didn't clinch and knee or throw a single elbow. He wanted to put on a show for Dana and the fans, and abandoned his training because of it - IMO.
You found that fight boring?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I like when they got a good guaranteed KO fight someonwhere on every card. Just so you get one for sure haha. I like every kind of fight but I'm always disappointed if you dont see atleast 1 KO

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like when they got a good guaranteed KO fight someonwhere on every card. Just so you get one for sure haha. I like every kind of fight but I'm always disappointed if you dont see atleast 1 KO
Ugh definitely. Did you see the whole Nog vs Couture card? It was unreal.

I think there was what... 3 first round KO's (counting the prelims)? And then there was the epitome of a MMA war in Couture vs Nog - which was also a hair away from being a first round KO.

UFC102 was amazing and I got to watch it in Ocean City with my new fiance. :D

·
12,900 Posts
Nothing against either fighter at all. I like a lot of their fights and they're both good.

But IMO this fight in specific was really a bad example of MMA. I think it's these fights that boxers and kickboxers make fun of MMA for.

They just stand and bang toe-to-toe. But neither is an exceptional striker...

I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority here but I definitely think these kind of fights are extremely boring. It could be a war, going back and forth, but when both fighters aren't too technical of strikers and they keep it completely standing the whole match... it definitely brings bad connotations to the word "brawl" for me.

LMFAO at Nate though, "I think we should get an apartment together, I miss your musk *big whiff*"

+rep to the Rock for making Rogan uncomfortable!

So what do you guys think? When two guys are just throwing sloppy fists and average kicks for most of 3 rounds does it excite you? Or only if it gets bloody/goes back and forth? Or not even then?

Please vote :thumb02:
They gotta throw in a few of these fights to get the crowd going. Casual fans won't understand the dynamics of the ground game or the technical aspect of say Machida vs Shogun. To me that was a great fight, but some people were saying it was boring???

Anybody have the picture of Toad from Mario Bros or Mario Kart cuz that's Pete Sell in real life or is it the other way around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts