Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So first off, totally awesome. Went to some fights tonight in Fort Wayne, Indiana and Jon Fitch was there. Awesome guy, really down to earth, talked to everyone who wanted to talk, which, Fort Wayne being his hometown, was pretty much every person there. I talked to him for a good ten minutes and then my cousin told me he went to school with him. Well to me "going to school with him" means "I went to the same school as someone famous!" Nope. They were like really good friends in High School, they sat around and swapped stories of licking sweet and sour sauce of some chick's thigh, friends lighting their faces on fire with shots and he and my cousin getting in a fight because Jon thought he was lying about drinking ten beers lol. Really cool guy! I got to ask him a couple questions too!

Are you fighting for the belt after you beat Thiago (again)?
Fitch: Actually I don't know because Josh is going to fight him next and that's not for at least another six months. I'll probably have to fight some up and comers after Thiago until I can

Who are you going to fight? You've basically beaten everyone in the division not named Georges
Fitch: Not sure really, like I said, just some up and comers probably.

If Koscheck wins, are you going to fight him for the belt?
Fitch: No, if he wins the belt I'm moving up to 185

He also Informed me that he hasn't gotten a contract to fight Alves yet, so there's still nothing official about it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thinking the same thing but crazier things HAVE happened... I mean he has more of a Chance than Serra did and he HAS fought him before so you never know.
I don't know... While Serra's sick jitsu skills haven't transitioned so well for mma and he mainly uses them defensively and for sweeps (could be partially because of size disadvantage too) I think Serra has/had more ways to win the fight than Kos does/did. Both Serra and GSP got better striking than Kos do, and while Kos got excellent wrestling he isn't exactly a submission machine either. Plus as seen on their previous fight GSP actually ended up outwrestling Kos.

So yeah... I actually give Kos worse odds to beat GSP than Serra, Penn, Alves or even Hardy had.

·
Registered
342 Posts
H'es fought at 85 before... his first couple were at 205.
Yeah I know. And honestly, If Chael can grind out the MW top contenders then I would bet that Jon could too. Its just that I cant see him leaving the weight class without beating GSP. He's beaten everyone else. He seems like too prideful a guy to just leave the division without beating GSP.
When I was in hi9gh school I was a decent HW doing really good until I ran into a guy who would become NYS champ who just steam rolled me. After that I was obsessed with beating him and instead of dropping down to 215, the weight I should have been wrestling at, I was driven to stay at HW so I could avenge my humiliating defeat. In case you were wondering, I never got my revenge because I busted up my back and knee. I really dont think Fitch is happy taking out up and comers.

Im hoping that Alves makes this a moot point anyway!

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Good shit, Jon is a beast. Fitch vs Silva would be sick imo, I'm actually kind of hopinh Kos beats GSP now haha, just to see that fight.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Great shit Tra, way to bring soe cool shit to the forum bud!!! Must have been a really cool experience!!!
Oh it was man. Imagine meeting Lyoto in person except liek x10... Dude is from my hometown and fighting the elite of the elite in the sport that I aspire to be in one day... nothing short of mind blowing. I felt like a god damn school girl trying to talk to him haha.
Who's the weird guy on the left in the pic....Lulz....:D
Hey, you STFU. I know i look like a douche but I don't care because that picture has Fitch in it.

Cool that you met him, can't get much better. How were the fights, shame about that crowd, unless you were super early or something.
Crowd really wasn't THAT bad, it's not a huge venue and it wasn't even close to full so yeah. That and we bought the most expensive seats in the joint (A WHOLE FIFTY BUCKS!) so we were on the floor about 50 ft from him. Helped that my cousin knew him, too, because he struck up a conversation with him and got me in lol.

The fights were decent, very amateur though. There were a couple gems but all in all nothing special. This one kid landed a sweet hip toss and the kid that got tossed pulled a flying armbar out of it, pretty slick. Another kid hit a switch from MOUNT and ended up subbing the kid with an RNC.

Then there was a terrible LnP decision. One kid was obviously a striker and the other kid wanted nothing to do with it so he took him down. Striker kid sprawled by shooting his legs straight back and not having heavy hips, so every time he got taken down. Wrestler was leaving submissions out his ass that the kid never saw and it lead to the kid sitting in his guard for 3 rounds.

Little Back story:

I went and trained at a gym in a town near here and the head trainer (Jody Poff) basically tried to use me and my friends as training dummies for his star fighters. I had grappled with a couple of his lower dudes and won, but I was still pretty new (about a year into BJJ and like 2 months in MMA) so his higher ups got the best fo me standing pretty easy. He had me stand up with his LW that had a fight coming up that weekend (why the hell he was still sparring I have no idea). Anyways, he keeps trying to come in, but I'm longer and I keep T kicking him and keeping him back. After about 5 of them I jab him, fake a T kick and put a head kick straight on his neck which (IMO) probably would've put him on his ass or at the very least left a nice bruise. I pulled it off because I knew he had a fight in a couple days so I didn't want to hurt him. He hits me in the face immediately after while I'm trying to reset and I get in his shit about it. Jody comes over and starts yelling at me and I tell him I had his boy in a really bad position and I was courteous enough not to land it because I didn't want to **** up his fight and he just screamed at me. I told him to **** himself and that was that. Dude did NOT like his fighters being beaten.

Anyways, Jody fought tonight. Against Sam Hoger no less. Fight starts, Hoger hits him a few times and gets him running, Hoger clinches, slams him, instantly mounts him and finishes him with a head-arm triangle FROM MOUNT. He didn't even use proper technique and subbed him in like :45 seconds of the first round. I had a heartly laugh, reflected on how awesome it was to meet my idol and see one of the biggest douche bags I know get subbed by a UFC reject in 45 seconds in the same night and smiled more.

Yeah I know. And honestly, If Chael can grind out the MW top contenders then I would bet that Jon could too. Its just that I cant see him leaving the weight class without beating GSP. He's beaten everyone else. He seems like too prideful a guy to just leave the division without beating GSP.
When I was in hi9gh school I was a decent HW doing really good until I ran into a guy who would become NYS champ who just steam rolled me. After that I was obsessed with beating him and instead of dropping down to 215, the weight I should have been wrestling at, I was driven to stay at HW so I could avenge my humiliating defeat. In case you were wondering, I never got my revenge because I busted up my back and knee. I really dont think Fitch is happy taking out up and comers.

Im hoping that Alves makes this a moot point anyway!
I feel the same way, but Silva is a brick wall. I also think Jon is a better grappler than Chael (note: Grappling and Wrestling are NOT the same thing. I've said it before, Jon is one of the best grapplers in the UFC IMO, in terms of effectiveness) and I think he's plenty big enough to be there too.

Also, Thiago is getting subbed, mark it.

I don't know... While Serra's sick jitsu skills haven't transitioned so well for mma and he mainly uses them defensively and for sweeps (could be partially because of size disadvantage too) I think Serra has/had more ways to win the fight than Kos does/did. Both Serra and GSP got better striking than Kos do, and while Kos got excellent wrestling he isn't exactly a submission machine either. Plus as seen on their previous fight GSP actually ended up outwrestling Kos.

So yeah... I actually give Kos worse odds to beat GSP than Serra, Penn, Alves or even Hardy had.
I don't think Serra has better striking than Kos... I also think that Serra's skill level was no where near GSP's.

EDIT: Life, Me too dude. As soon as he said that I was like "Holy shit there's a LOT of good fights for him there!"

A.Silva, Wand, Nate, Chael, Yushin, Palhares, Bisping, Dan Miller, Demian... a whole list of em!

·
Das Übermensch
7,633 Posts
Very cool you met Fitch, I recall you being one of the biggest Fitch fans on this forum. You should have asked some better questions though :p

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Couldn't really think of any really... I mean I was sorta star struck haha. Like I said, dude is my hero. The first time i saw him I was like "OH **** THAT'S FITCH" and all I could do was shake his hand and nod and smile like an asshat.
Hahaha, exactly dude, the first time I met Frank Shamrock, he was at a park by my house with his daughter. I remember staring at him while he was walking around and thinking "That can't be Frank, no one is even talking to him" haha. I always forget MMA guys aren't that famous to "normal" people.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Awesome dude. WHen I think Jon Fitch fan, I think TraMai haha. Very happy you got to meet him, and it's so awesome he was so cool.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.