Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reyes fought very well in the fight of his life. But I don't know if he's the type of guy who can stay motivated. He has trouble getting his diet right and cutting weight effectively to have cardio in the championship rounds. He could be like Buster Douglas. One amazing fight in him before a decline. That could've been the most motivated and most determined to succeed Dominick Reyes we'll ever see.

From 7 months ago ^

Might've been right about Reyes.

My take on Khamzat Chimaev might've been off though.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Apparently you were correct on Reyes, but did you predict that Chimaev wouldn't have done well?

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many fighters who look like world beaters one day.

Over time, the pressure and grind break them down.They burn out.

I think people underestimate what it takes to compete at a high level over a period of years.

Khamzat I think could end up being like Rampage. Where he wins his fights too easily, doesn't appreciate the talent he has. And turns out to be his own worst enemy.

I don't think his long term outlook will be kind to him.

This was my take on Chimaev from 2 months ago.

TBH I don't know enough about his background to make a good prediction.

There are many obvious reasons which could hint at Dominick Reyes lacking motivation etc. I'll make a thread about it later.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Well it's hard to predict how a fighter will do based on their pre-UFC fight record. I feel like Khabib Nurmagomedov is an exception to the rule in that he's undefeated dating back to the beginning of his MMA career. Though it seem like Chimaev is doing well so far.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well it's hard to predict how a fighter will do based on their pre-UFC fight record.

Think of all the things Jon Jones has accomplished in the UFC. Jon Jones is.. looks it up .... 33.

How old is Dominick Reyes? He'll be 31 in december. He's only 2 years younger than Jones.

If Reyes is a talented athlete why did it take him so long to get to the UFC and get a title shot. Fighting at LHW which is a shallow division. The answer could be lack of motivation.

Reyes finally gets his big opportunity, he fights the champ Jon Jones, its his time to shine. He gases badly in the championship rounds which could show he had trouble getting motivated to fight Jones.

For some it would be all downhill from there. Couldn't get motivated for the big championship fight. They'd only become less motivated after that.

Maybe Reyes will prove me wrong on that, we can see.

There's nothing that says it has to be hard to predict how a fighter will do based on their record. What's difficult is being honest. Its very easy to be blinded or misled by hype and other things.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Well remember that Jon Jones is an athletic freak of nature that has been gifted with that athletic ability and was able to depend on that in some fights where he became lazy in his training. But I agree that Reyes certainly did take longer to getting to the UFC. Then again you look at some greats in the sport they got toppled by a division that evolved for them.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some are saying Jon Jones made a mistake tweeting about returning to 205 to reclaim his belt after Reyes lost.

There's one other thing that could be becoming visible about Jones and his move to HW that everyone is missing.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I used to make $$ gambling MMA. That's one reason I could afford to follow the sport so closely. I enjoyed it, made $$ and learned a lot of things. Win/win/win.

Today there could be too many shady judging calls for MMA gambling to be consistently profitable.

But believe me when I say there could be something about Jones that I see from his recent antics that all of the analysts and commentators are missing.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll say in PM.

Just keep it between us, if you read it. Cool?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts