Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strength!
I am doing jiu jitsu and have done it for 2 months and im absolutely loving it.
However the problem is that i am not as strong as many of the other I train with.

I am 18 years old and I only weigh 145 pounds and many of the guys i train with weigh 180 pounds+... So do you have any advice on what exercises to do in order to achieve more strength?

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
fullcontact said:
strength!
However the problem is that i am not as strong as many of the other I train with.

I am 18 years old and I only weigh 145 pounds and many of the guys i train with weigh 180 pounds+... So do you have any advice on what exercises to do in order to achieve more strength?
If you're smaller than your training partners, then I will encourage you to train to refine your technique over amassing physical strength. I'm not saying to stay away from gym outside of rolling on the mat, but let's be realistic: You could be a champion power lifter and if you're barely 2 months into Jiu-Jitsu training, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you'd get taken to school and tapped.

On that thought, concentrate on technique and cardio instead. Even the strong guys wilt when they run out of gas.

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
or u could punch the heavy bag. Just giver on it. i like to go for 5 mins then 1 mins break. Do that for like and hour. But i used to think of weight as an problem but i learned how to use that to my advantge and also the cardio thing is good

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
In jiu-jitsu you should be focussing alot on your core strangth. I suggest doing alot of pushups and situps. I actually train abdominal and leg strength by traingle-choking a heavy bag. I even triangle a pillow when I'm bored or watching TV. If you do this regularly your abs will start to feel alot stronger.

Doing the pushups will build pectoral strength and eventually make it easier to control your opponent while in guard (on either side) or in mount.

My real focus would be on technique. Jiu-jitsu is a small man's martial art and if you are doing it right you should be able to control a much larger opponent without doing very much physical conditioning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your training for competition and you plan on fighting around 145, I say it's good to roll with stronger guy's. I train with a much stronger partner in ju jitsu and it makes me feel much more comfartable going into a fight knowing my opponent most likeky could'nt "over power" my training partner. But that's just the power aspect, not the technique.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good advice. :thumbsup:

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
two types of strength
weight lifting strength
and fighting strength
work out with the weigths but the fighting stregnth will quickly improve...plus technique beats power

·
Registered
10 Posts
fullcontact said:
strength!

get a stability ball and focus on your abs and lower back. that alone will help you by, as mentioned above, strengthening your core. alot of BJJ requires movements at the waist, such as turning the hips to set up subs and sweeps. Jeff Monson uses a Stability ball and he says its helped him immensely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recommend sticking to the basics.

Compound movements + Heavy Weights + Food = strength gains.

There is as much technique involved in lifting as in BJJ.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
fullcontact said:
strength!

thats sort of the point of learning JJ

·
Registered
77 Posts
like atom said jiu jitsu is alot of leverage and technique to over power the stronger biger opponent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yellow man said:
like atom said jiu jitsu is alot of leverage and technique to over power the stronger biger opponent.
i think Matt Hughes proved against Royce that being 100% technically proficent in BJJ is no guarantee that you can defeat a stronger, less technical fighter. Jeff Monson is another example of an enormously strong fight that can use power to overcome technique.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I agree.
If I compete against an equally or superiorly skilled practitioner, I have to be physically superior to beat him.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go pickup "body for life" my Bill Philips. A great starting point so can grasp some basic knowledge on nutrition and lifting. :thumbsup: (So you dont end up like one guy on this forum who asked why he was tired when he drinks so many energy drinks... lmao!)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Speed & strength cannot be compensated for with technique these days. Most guys train in all aspects of MMA so you need to hone your atheletic ability to maximize your ability to use your technique.

To gain strength you have to do heavy resistance movements. This would include lifting weights, throwing medicine balls, or a number of other excercises. Good luck to you in your ventures.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ive only be going for a few months as well and im even lighter (and im pretty tall) so I hear you. Ive found that just doing a lot of ab/core work has been pretty helpful, but upper body strength has been a big problem for me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
A great tip I got a long time ago was to superset squats/leg presses with upper body work, i.e. bench, curls, butterflies, etc. Why, you ask. Well, the reason is because that doing lower body work causes your body to produce more testosterone, as that region of the body has the largest muscles in the entire body, which in turn will help to build your upper body strength. Try it out for a couple months & see if it starts building your strength. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was about using leverage allowing smaller guys to beat bigger guys,you are proving what BJJ is all about when you beat those guys...refine your technique.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Stability ball

crashsti said:
get a stability ball and focus on your abs and lower back. that alone will help you by, as mentioned above, strengthening your core. alot of BJJ requires movements at the waist, such as turning the hips to set up subs and sweeps. Jeff Monson uses a Stability ball and he says its helped him immensely.
Push-ups with feet resting on a stability ball... the first few weeks you feel your body swaying all over the place, and that is weakness in the core. When I started doing them it gave me pain in places I hadn't felt pain before, and my core is extremely well developed from practising Ashtanga yoga.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.