Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after last night, i would like to see chael vs vitor for the #1 contender spot.

my reasons for this are

A) i don't quite think we need an immediate rematch since there wasn't a controversial finish (i.e. penn/edgar & shogun/machida I). however, if there was an immediate rematch i guess i couldn't complain too much.

B) i still don't think vitor deserves the #1 contender spot. for me, he just hasn't done enough to jump in line right now. yeah, he beat rich franklin, but so what, rich was getting murdered by chuck until he caught chuck's glass jaw with that short right. so beating franklin doesn't really prove enough to deserve a shot yet. other than franklin, who has he beaten recently? matt lindland, terry martin, james zikic, and ivan serati. his last upper-level opponent was dan henderson, and he lost that fight. also, without serious wrestling skills, i just don't think vitor can hang with anderson.

this fight would basically be a way to avoid an immediate rematch between chael & anderson, yet it gives chael a chance for a quick rematch, nonetheless. at the same time, it would determine if vitor is truly worthy of #1 contender status. i don't see vitor getting past chael, though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I don't think there should be an immediate rematch as Silva finished the fight but i do think Sonnen deserves to fight Vitor for another shot considering Vitor has not won a MW fight yet. I think that fight would look allot like Sonnen vs Nate

Reactions: Budhisten

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think Vitor deserves next crack at the title. 1. They already promised it to him. 2. He's an ex UFC champion. 3. He knocked out the previous MW champ (Franklin) just last year.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
An instant rematch is a lose lose situation for A. Silva, he already proved he can beat Sonnen. Plus I don't see this fight ending any other way than the last one, maybe a K.O. by Silva but I think he will submit him again.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
If Chael gets a immediate rematch, I will be upset and wont even buy the PPV. Immediate rematches shouldnt happen unless its a Shogun/Machida type of fight, and there was definitely a clear winner on saturday night. How can you dispute a submission? just as good as a KO.

I mean, GSP even had to have at least one fight when he clearly lost to Serra. BJ Penn got the rare treatment that he was able to get a immediate rematch, and I hope that is the last time we see this.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The problem is the more we talk about this there will be more chances we'll see a rematch. Dana or Joe Silva ain't stupid they see the buzz on the forums. It will bring people to watch the fight.

But I wouldn't be able to take any of Chael Sonnens trash talk if they get a rematch. He will go in denial mode like he did with Lance Armstrong comments

-'No, I didn't tap'
-'But, we have it on video'
-'It wasn't me, ask anybody. He looked Mexican to me'

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
I think Vitor deserves next crack at the title. 1. They already promised it to him. 2. He's an ex UFC champion. 3. He knocked out the previous MW champ (Franklin) just last year.
In that case, Frankin should get the next LHW shot. I mean, (a) he's an ex-UFC champion, and (b) he KO'd the previous LHW champion just a month ago.

I agree with you, I'm just giving you a hard time. ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i can't really agree with this logic other than your first point, that the shot was promised to him.

the fact that vitor is an ex UFC champion has nothing to do with it. so was tim sylvia, but no one thinks he should come back and get a shot at brock.

and rich franklin isn't what he used to be. yes, he was a champion, but that was before the new talent rolled into town. i don't even know that franklin would be a top 5 middleweight if he plans to stick to that division. he's definitely not a top 5 lhw.

i just don't think vitor has done enough yet in the ufc to get this title shot, although i know dana is known to give undeserved shots.

after seeing chael dominate silva like that, I think he would roll through vitor. and i also think anderson will roll through vitor b/c vitor doesn't have that olympic caliber wrestling like chael, which, at this point, seems to be the only way to beat silva.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Id love to see Sonnen vs Belfort for number 1 contender but what does Anderson do until then? Throw Okami at him?

Silva is 35 and I want to see as many great fights with him as I can, I dont want him to sit around waiting for fights.
Give him Bader, T. Silva, or cancel Rampage/Machida and have Silva fight Rampage.

At MW, Okami, Marquart, Belcher, Sonnen, Belfort and maybe Leben fight for the belt. Im pretty confident Chael would come out on top and then he can start running his mouth about how Silva ran away from him for a huge rematch at MW (after he fights Shogun at LHW).

Its Either something like that, an instant rematch, or Vitor. And Vitor just hasnt done enough at MW to give him a title shot after a long layoff. There are better fights at LHW and he is 35 years old with a style that relies heavily on his reaction time. Its time for him to move up imo, he's done enough at MW.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
after last night, i would like to see chael vs vitor for the #1 contender spot.

my reasons for this are

A) i don't quite think we need an immediate rematch since there wasn't a controversial finish (i.e. penn/edgar & shogun/machida I). however, if there was an immediate rematch i guess i couldn't complain too much.

B) i still don't think vitor deserves the #1 contender spot. for me, he just hasn't done enough to jump in line right now. yeah, he beat rich franklin, but so what, rich was getting murdered by chuck until he caught chuck's glass jaw with that short right. so beating franklin doesn't really prove enough to deserve a shot yet. other than franklin, who has he beaten recently? matt lindland, terry martin, james zikic, and ivan serati. his last upper-level opponent was dan henderson, and he lost that fight. also, without serious wrestling skills, i just don't think vitor can hang with anderson.

this fight would basically be a way to avoid an immediate rematch between chael & anderson, yet it gives chael a chance for a quick rematch, nonetheless. at the same time, it would determine if vitor is truly worthy of #1 contender status. i don't see vitor getting past chael, though.
I agree, and I do see this happening. Chael will destroy Vitor, then get another shot.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I dont agree with this.....Chael got tapped even at the end of the fight it is a W for Anderson...people think that Anderson should owe a rematch....why?? He gave buddy his shot and caught him with what seemingly he realized would be one of about three options to win (the triangle), rather than lose the fight, which he was going to, he triangled him.....if I have had to listen to yap about Tit-o almost finishing Machida by triangle...LoL.....then understand a BJJ Black has till the end of the fight to finish it, yeah Chael did what he said and I was like damn.....but he got tapped, and he tapped.....I respect him and I respect that he didn't bitch about the end, alot of lesser guys have....CB Dolloway.....Anderson owes nothing except a fight with Vitor.....

EDIT: I question him now at 205.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't even know why the BJ Penn vs Edgar fight was controversial. The only thing controversial was how lopsided the rounds were given to Edgar, besides that he did win the fight.

Personally I think it might be right to give the re-match a hold, and have Sonnen fight Vitor, however the biased side of me wants an immediate rematch just because Silva might actually work on his take-down defence now and increase his odds in winning.

I'm just angry Sonnen's too respectful to lay and pray. He wanted to beat Silva up an entire 25 when it's not smart. He could have been much more methodical in the fifth round to his aggression.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Compare it to the Lesnar vs. Mir rematch. Similar situation.
Except that the first fight was filled with controversy over the stopping and deducting a point for shots to the back of the head. There was no controversy in the Silva/Sonnen fight, just a great submission in a great fight. A fight that will no doubt go down as one of the best title fights in the history of the sport.

If Vitor and Sonnen were to fight it out for number 1 spot, that leaves Silva needing an opponent in the meantime. Who takes that spot? Marquardt? Much as i like the guy as a fighter, i dont think he's quite ready for another crack at Silva. This basically leaves Okami, but i'm just not excited about seeing that at all. I'd much rather see Belfort fight for the title, and let Sonnen go to LHW and attempt to do what he said he'd do to Nogueira.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts