Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets face it, I think the UFC is less then enthused that Anderson is their MW champion. Considering his last 4 performances in MW and the fact he is a mediocre draw I think its safe to say the UFC would have dropped him. I'm I wrong in assuming this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lets face it, I think the UFC is less then enthused that Anderson is their MW champion. Considering his last 4 performances in MW and the fact he is a mediocre draw I think its safe to say the UFC would have dropped him. I'm I wrong in assuming this?
Absolutely not, He is still an amazing fighter/dancer. He is still obviously one of the very best.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Anderson Silva - probably the best stand up fighter in MMA not a draw?

:sarcastic12:

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No way in hell. He would have got an immediate rematch.
Why would he have gotten an immediate rematch after getting dominated like that? Also, he is not a big draw for the UFC! Why risk having him as a champion if he isn't going to pull in the numbers? Lets face it, AS isn't exactly a fan favorite!

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Anderson Silva is the greatest on earth just now, when he turns up - and the PPV figures show he isn't a draw.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why would he have gotten an immediate rematch after getting dominated like that? Also, he is not a big draw for the UFC! Why risk having him as a champion if he isn't going to pull in the numbers? Lets face it, AS isn't exactly a fan favorite!
He's not my favorite either but the fact is he's been a dominant champion for years now and I believe he would have gotten, and deserved, a rematch.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wouldn't have been dropped, wouldn't have been a main event though either unless he moved up/down for a super-fight.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts

You mad?bro

He isn't a fan favorite? Weren't they chanting 'SILVA SILVA' instead of 'USA'?
To be fair, Sonnen was also clearly getting quite a bit of love. I'll never say Anderson isn't a draw, because he most certainly is... but only to a degree. For all the hate he gets, Sonnen is the one who sold this fight. Dana and Silva didn't have to lift a finger. If UFC 117 pulls in big numbers, it'll be because Chael saw fit to grab the bull by the horns. And for those who don't think that trash talk is the way to go about this... think it over. Whether you tuned in to see Sonnen smash, be smashed, or to see just how much he could actually back up... you walked away a winner, because you were treated to one of the best main events we've seen in years. Hell, one of the best MW main events we've seen since Anderson took the belt from Franklin. We all won last night, and we did so because Chael Sonnen enticed us into viewing.

Had Chael gone the soft spoken route, how many of us would have actually bothered to tune in? He was written off from the get-go, and following Silva vs. Maia, I doubt many would have been overly eager to fork over 50 dollars cash to watch Silva once again dance around a 'lesser' fighter than himself. That is until Chael decided to throw in his own brand of razzle dazzle. Sonnen is a man who talks, sells, and then delivers what fans pay to see. He's precisely what the UFC needs, and I tip may hat to him once again.

·
Registered
769 Posts
There was absolutely no chance of him being cut from the UFC regardless of what happened during the fight.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think they would have done Silva vs. Vitor for #1 contender spot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
he is not a good ppv draw, and what do you think Sonnen would be? Sonnen vs Maia 2, Sonnen vs marquardt 2, sonnen vs cote, do you really think those would sell, please.

·
Registered
154 Posts
to think silva would be cut for losing this fight is absurd. do you really think dana would let silva go to another organization, possibly strikeforce? no way in hell.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
He wouldn't have been cut but Dana would have made him move up to LHW where more draws are that can carry his unlikable ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts