Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . .What, if anything, does it do to the sport of MMA? Does it also put a blot on Randy's legend? Or is this just a freak exhibition match which has no implications on anything at all? :confused02:

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Honestly, It will mean only one thing. Father time has finally caught up to CAPTAIN AMERICA and it is time for him to move on....and become the Strikeforce HW/LHW/superheavyweight champ for a few years.

·
Premium Member
11,825 Posts
It would suck, as Toney's trash-talk has been insufferable. I hope no one would look at Randy differently, I know MMA fans won't, but general media, and Boxing fanatics would probably lap it up and have a field-day with it.

The worst consequence of a Randy loss, would be Toney getting a second fight in the UFC

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
It would depend how it happened. If he 1 punch KO's Randy in the first 10 seconds then everyone chops it up to his age and his chin showing weakness as of late. Toney talks a lot, DW gives him a younger fighter who smashes Toney.

If on the other hand it goes a 3 round war and Toney wins a decision, or if Toney finishes Randy in some other obscure fashion, then the boards close up as we all leave and remember the good ol days.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It'd be kind of funny to see the drama that would cause even though I'm pulling for Couture (obviously). There would be a lot of smack talk from boxing fans and the media would hype it up, which would inevitably be a black mark on MMA's short history, but it'd be nothing more than a speed bump. People don't honestly have to sit here anymore and debate with people that MMA is better: All people have to do is watch it and use their common sense.

Now, that's no affront to boxers. Boxers are amazing athletes and competitors. The problem is that they take their athletic ability and use 100% of it and their time to working on their hands. Against someone with other tools in their bag, they're screwed most of the time.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I discussed this briefly with one of my friends not too long ago; aside from a big draw and a 'freakshow', for lack of a better term, this fight has no implications.

I mean, Toney probably got paid over 10 million when he fought Holyfield - I know Dana isn't paying him anywhere near that.

And Couture is risking his semi-legit relevance as a contender at 205 lbs (atm) for a fight that he gets little to no benefit from winning as Toney has virtually no MMA experience and Randy's arguably one of the most experienced fighters in MMA having been pretty successful over two division.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't want to see it; as a matter of fact, I can guarantee you all that after the first two minutes of this fight either Couture or Toney will be the most embarassed they've ever been in their entire career - becuase whoever loses this fight, loses in devastating fashion regardlesss of who takes it.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Depends on the way he loses. If it's a flash 1 punch KO, then not much will be said about it imo. It's a possibility. It's a possibility with any fight really.

If Toney subs him or stuffs his takedowns and wins a decision etc then the MMA world will implode.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am actually picking toney to win this....though I would like to see randy win

it really doesn't do anything for either one's career.... Nothing for toney because randy isn't exactly the creme de la creme of MMA.... and nothing for randy because this is toney coming into a MMA fight (his 1st at that) and not a boxing match...

this is basically what Dana said a while back..... a freak show lol....but a very interesting one

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
if couture losses then it wont make much of a difference. couture is al hw that is not even in the top ten to most people and hes fighting at hw so it really does nothing. its not like randy is some high level striker that ktfo's people so if he losses im sure the boxing world wont let it go but i dont think it hurts mma really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.